Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Stockcorner JC-4 automatic antenna tuner 1KW Help

Reviews Summary for Stockcorner JC-4 automatic antenna tuner 1KW
Stockcorner JC-4 automatic antenna tuner 1KW Reviews: 18 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $499 Euros
Description: Remote antenna tuner rated for 1KW pep. Two antennas. High
quality parts and high performance coupler.
More info: http://www.stockcorner.nl/index.php/jc-4-automatic-antenna-tuner-1kw

You can write your own review of the Stockcorner JC-4 automatic antenna tuner 1KW.

HA5X Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2017 10:17 Send this review to a friend
First impressions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is going to be about my - very positive - first impressions. I hoped to write a more thorough review after some more experimentation, but unfortunately I have not had as much time to play with it as I had hoped. I might write a follow up later.

As at home I only have a 3x1 m balcony as an antenna farm (and I promised my XYL half of it will not have any antenna of that "huge" plot) I have to resort to temporary, low footprint antennas. That usually means a vertical fishing rod with one inadequate radial, or another fishing rod holding a radial horizontally over the neighbour's garden. Of course nothing can stay, I have to remove all after the weekend contest...

Given these limitations, I have had to make severe concessions and found that in my case non-resonant antennas are the easiest to use: push out some wire along the fishing rod, tune it to impedance with some tuner and enjoy. No time to fine tune something resonant just for the few minutes there antenna is there for... But, such antennas are very lossy and I sometimes compensate for this loss by using 300W, that makes me sound just a bit weaker than a 100W station with some proper antenna :)

After having used indoor desktop tuners and a 9:1 UNUN for a decade anda half, I finally decided to try a remote tuner for two main reasons. First to reduce the loss of my coax and also to make tuning a bit more comfortable than having to do it manually. While browsing reviews for some commercial tuners, I accidentally ran into this very JC-4s review page on eham. Nobody gave this tuner less than 5. Woww, interesting. While most available remote tuners are 100W only, this one can easily handle more. Woww. So I navigated to the stockcorner website and read the available info there. I sent an email to Casper, and he responded literally within minutes. Woww. All questions answered. I paid using PayPal and the box arrived to the other corner of Europe within 4 working days. Woww.

The tuner seems well built from the outside (I have not opened the box yet.) It is a bit bigger than I had expected (but actually it is still smaller than another tuner I was looking at), so it might not be travelling in my suitcase, but I will buy the smaller JC-3s for travel, but who knows :) As an eager boy I just wanted to try it ASAP. Unfortunately there is no control cable in the box, you have to prepare some wire yourself to hook it up. UTP is explicitly not recommended for this purpose, but as I happened to have quite a few meters of UTP on a drum it was obvious that I cut a 15m or so long piece and soldered up 2x4 wires to the supplied plug on one end and the control box on the other. Honestly, a few minutes after my first experiments I decided to add some connector between the control box and the control wire, as if you want to use it like me (not connect it once and leave it there) having the control box soldered to the whole length of the cable will make it quite difficult to lead the wire in the room, it is way easier just to lead the cable itself an then connect the tiny control box once the cable end has reached the radio desk. Not having some connector on the back of the control box is actually the only one negative point of design I have found so far. But anyone - even I - can DIY something in a few minutes, so not a big deal.

Anyway, I placed the tuner under the fishing rod, pushed out some 7 meters of wire with some random coil, and an absolutely random length of wire on a 5m fishing rod as counterpoise and powered up the thing. There you have to be very careful: you either have to run the tuner from the power supply of the radio itself, or connect the ground of the radio with that of the other power supply, otherwise it will not work. Although it is clearly stated in the manual, I just forgot about it first and was scratching my head for a few minutes thinking the tuner did not work. But it actually does, it was the operator who was lame :)

Tuning goes very fast indeed, within seconds the "antenna" matched on all bands from 160m to 10m. I heard a few stations on 80 and 40m, and whomever I heard also replied when I called them. The tuner memorizes tuning at different points within a band, so it is very convenient, however, you have to re-tune it after changing the band. But as it takes only a few seconds to tune, it should not be a problem.

I had some RF feedback problems inside the shack at first, but by adding a common mode choke at the tuner-end of the coax it is fine now, even with 300W. Whatever wire I just connect up, the tuner will match it just fine. The only band where I have had some difficulty was 10m, I think some of my wires are a bit too long electrically for that band. Fortunately, the JC-4s has two antenna ports, so you can use a longer wire for the low bands and a shorter one for the higher frequencies. At the moment what I use the two antenna connectors is actually changing between a horizontal and a vertical fishing rod :) Polarisation does make some difference at times.

K6SBA Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2017 19:29 Send this review to a friend
The Best!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
If you are looking for a 1-KW rated remote autotuner, you must seriously consider the JC-4. Once you remove the top cover and look at the fabrication of the unit, you will be sold. The construction puts to shame any other tuner sold to the amateur market.

I am using the tuner with a 43-ft vertical, a modest radial field (25 radials of different lengths) and 125 of LMR-400 coax. Tuning is flawless from 160- to 10-meters.

I can't say enough about the quality of the unit. It is packaged in a NEMA-style raintight enclosure. I opted to install the tuner inside another large enclosure just to provide added protection to the exterior connections.

At the current (fluctuating) Euro exchange rate, the cost in US dollars is about $680 + international shipping. I feel this represents one of the best investments I have made in amateur radio.

73 de K6SBA
David in Santa Barbara, CA

DJ1DK Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2017 09:22 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Antenna Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
This automatic (remote control) antenna tuner is manufactured in very small series by Casper (PA7DX). His website and webshop may be visited on stockcorner nl.
I use this antenna tuner since more than 1 year with my "Lazy Yankee" antenna (which is a horizontally mounted endfed antenna having the shape of the letter "Y", with a coil at the bifurcation - as described by DO4IH). I have made some design changes as I do not use a transformer to feed the antenna and my wires have some other length.
In my case the antenna is fed directly through the JC-4S antenna tuner at the feeding point, so the transmission line losses are reduced to a minimum. And the tuner does a very good job. Thanks Casper, for this great antenna tuner at a very reasonable price!

HB9RYZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2016 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Great HF-Tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the best tuner I ever used for 1kW. Im using an Inverted-V with only two short legs of 6.5m each and an 10m ladder line (wireman) from the tuner to the antenna. I can easy tune 10-80m with such a small Inverted-V antenna. I installed an 1:1 current balun (1771ts) from Balun Designs between the ladder line and the tuner output. From the tuner on the top of my roof to the shack is an 28m long RG-213 Ecoflex Plus coax which is connected to my Expert 1K-FA amplifier and then to my transceiver IC-7700. I have absolutely no HF in my shack with the configuration. just after the Digital Wattmeter LP-100A shows me the exact SWR and power.
You can see a lot of pictures on my website www.hb9ryz.ch
Thank you Casper for such an excellent 1Kw remote tune and your great support.
73 Wolfgang

HB9DLF Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2016 13:15 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First I tried several other products which were partially cheaper.
Finally my choice was the JC-4S from the Dutch company Stock Corner .
The manufacturer offers 3 models

200 Watt
1000 Watt
4000 Watt

All this models for a amazing price. The 1KW IC 4S is available for Euro 535 . That is really a very good price

The 12 V DC power and control unit is connected by a 4-wire cable and works perfect.
The first tuning procedure is done under 4 seconds. After that it takes usually less then 1 second to get the SWR nearly 1

I have never noticed any tuning steps during operation

The processing of the tuner is excellent! Generous dimensioning of the components give pleasure!

The description is available in english and also in German with great details and practice example

The manufacturer's support is EXCELLENT !! Within 24 hours I`ve got an answer to all my questions. Even to my phone. Great

Anyone looking for a reliable tuner is very well served with the tuner. You get also a big reserve for QRO operating.

I can recommend the tuner without any restrictions

vy 73 de
HB9DLF

K8NDS Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2016 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am using this tuner with an off center fed doublet and 600 ohm ladder line. The doublet is 128 feet long cut for 80 meters. The tuner is mounted remote at the ladder line.
This antenna tunes better than 1.15/1 on all bands (80 to 10) including 160 meters. The tuning rate is extremely fast, after tuning a few times the tune time is less then 4 seconds. On most bands it is about 1 second. It is the best tuner that I have owned up to date. Purchase this tuner with complete confidence.

TF3EO Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2016 08:08 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant Coupler  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the Stockcorner JC-4 1kW PEP coupler in Mars 2016 from Casper. It has been on top of my roof under my 13m Zero-Five vertical since then. It has endured the fiercest of storms both winter and summer without any problems. It has never failed to tune for me and I have even used it to tune 160M on my vertical and got a 599 from Cyprus f.ex on the band. Amazing engineering and when the box is opened you will find high quality components inside. I find it very valuable to be able to short my vertical to ground remotely by selecting the mid position on the controller box f.ex. in convective weather. Customer care is very fast and caring. Casper has answered my few e-mails very promptly and he is very supportive and nice. 100% recommendations for anyone in doubt. 73

N8IL Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2015 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Still very happy after a year  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I provided a review a year ago, and wanted to update that review. I am EXTREMELY satisfied with the tuner, both for ease of use, and performance. Order it with confidence!

-Neil

LA2RRA Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2015 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have this one for almost one year and this is perfect.
I use tuner when im n holyday and now at my qth here in Norway.
Tuner is connected to my homemade windom with 400 ohms feeder and tuner is outside my house with short 50 ohms coax feeding inside house.

Absolutley perfekt with my AL 80 B amp and Ts 590sg.Abt 600w no problms

Thinking to by one more..have also sg 3000 but this can not handle more than max max 200w...

You dont do wrong bying one like this..also quick answer to support :-)

73 de La2rra Lars M

KI6PU Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2015 12:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Remote Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Several months ago I began searching for a remote tuner to help reduces the losses over 110 feet of coax and would also handle 600 watts. The JC-4s, newest version, arrived in about a week and was well packed for the trip. Its construction is of high quality to enhance efficiency.

The antenna is a G5RV type dipole fed with 600 ohm open wire transmission line. A 1:1 current balun is installed between the output terminals of the tuner and the open wire transmission line. One hundred and ten feet of coax is attached to the input of the current balun. So far I have not noticed any RF problems in the shack even though I run about 600 watts at times. The new manual for the JC-4s is a valuable source of information about using the tuner with various types of antennas. Customer service is excellent as I had several problems with coax connectors but after several suggestions my problem was resolved. The tuner is ground mounted and is covered with a plastic dish pan to protect it from the weather.

Using the JT-65 mode on 40 meters, the operating range at my station improved to over 10,000 miles opening up new DX possibilities. Operating HF with the JC-4s is now a real pleasure.