Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Baofeng/Pofung BF-F8+ Help

Reviews Summary for Baofeng/Pofung BF-F8+
Baofeng/Pofung BF-F8+ Reviews: 14 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $$38 - $55 depending on dealer
Description: Not a UV-5R copy! Has upgraded chipset like the GT-3 and UV-82. Same case style as UV-5R so previous UV-5R accessories will fit. Better performance than UV-5R models.
More info: http://baofengtech.com/radios

You can write your own review of the Baofeng/Pofung BF-F8+.

KK6NOH Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2014 21:57 Send this review to a friend
Why the hate?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have no idea why everyone seems to hate the baofeng radios, especially the BF-F8+. I own two of them and wouldn't give them up for anything. I get consistent good signal reports and comments on how great my audio is. Most people don't believe me when I say I am using a HT much less a baofeng. The only negatives it has are as follows

1. The antenna that comes with it is rather limited. If you want to limit range on purpose for limiting interference or survival reasons then it will work fine. As far as I am concerned, no matter what HT you buy step one is buying a better antenna. Period. Rubber ducks suck.

2. The squelch on 2 meters is not adjustable. Its either on or off. Big deal.... they have it set just right anyways.

Thats it... really it is. The radio is dirt cheap, is capable of transmitting way outside what other average duel band HT's can, Its accessories are cheap and easy to get, the battery lasts ridiculously long, and most of all it just works. As for the average whining about it being hard to program..... have any of you tried programming your average modern tv? Its waaay harder. The baofeng is so stupid easy most people just over complicate it. You want to program the imput frequency? just type in the frequency and save. Want the output frequency programmed? type it in and save. BAM done! who the heck needs chirp? Its totally unnecessary.

Oh I might mention. I own two of them. I have plans to buy another 20. Get them while you can before some moron politician decides its too good a deal to be legal and bans it.

N7IBC Rating: 0/5 Oct 1, 2014 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Failure out of the box  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these based on comments from club members as well as local SAR members. When I received it, it looked good, had no visible defects, and seemed well put together. I have owned many handheld radios in 30 some years. I use one daily at work in my profession, so I have a tiny bit of experience with them. On power up, the screen stayed on for only a few seconds and then went black, and no setting change cured this issue, except to power it down and power it back up. I also received the programming cable with it as part of the deal. Once I had the CHIRP software downloaded, i hooked it to the computer to load my local frequencies. There was no indication the radio was even hooked to the computer. I surmised the cable was bad, so I borrowed one, and still nothing. I tried another cable on a different computer, and again, still nothing. I checked the software and all was well. The firmware on the radio showed as BSF297. Not even close to what it should have been, according to the Boefang website.
I returned the radio within 24 hours of purchase, deciding that I will stay with my Yaesu radios, as I should have in the first place. My initial reasons to purchase were it would make a decent radio for my wife, who is a tech class and an infrequent radio user.
But, as usual, spending a bit more for quality, (VX-6r), and eliminating the frustration is much better.

WH6L Rating: 1/5 Sep 22, 2014 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Wh6L  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Boafeng BF-F8+ Ham radio squelch is intermittent even when lowered/set to zero. Often no white noise heard no matter what squelch level chosen. Purchased this radio thru Amazon from A Plus of Calif. Also purchased a number of accessories. Radio missing a "band" button on the front face of radio that is pictured in the small hand book and labeled (13) and designated Band Switch. Only thing that works dependably are the flash light and the WB FM radio receiver covering commercial 65-108 MHz stations.
WH6L

KT0DD Rating: 4/5 Aug 10, 2014 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Better than UV-5R  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I tried a UV-5R but sold it as my Wouxun radios performed better. Bought a BF-F8+ just to see about any improvement and was pleased. It's almost as good as my KG-UV2D Wouxun for 1/2 the price. Still comes with crappy UV-5R antenna so I swapped it out with the UV-82L antenna and it was a great improvement. For the price (including antenna upgrade) it is a great value. I really like being able to use my leftover UV-5R accessories (6 X AA battery pack and 3600mah Li-Ion Battery) YMMV