Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | DV-Mega Dual Band D-Star Radio Hotspot Help

Reviews Summary for DV-Mega Dual Band D-Star Radio Hotspot
DV-Mega Dual Band D-Star Radio Hotspot Reviews: 15 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $179.95
Description: DV-MEGA Radio HotSpot Shield & a computer ( PC or Raspberry PI ) will create a Dual Band D-Star HotSpot which will give D-Star users ď Over The Air ď access to the network with a D-Star compatible radio.
More info: http://www.dvmega.co.uk/

You can write your own review of the DV-Mega Dual Band D-Star Radio Hotspot.

SQ5TSS Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2017 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Great device  Time owned: more than 12 months
This product works very well, great device.
Easy to setup and use, simply work very well

M6WFL Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2017 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Great fun to build and works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the DV-Mega with a Raspberry Pi 3 to make a Yaesu System Fusion hotspot. This was a lot of fun to set up, it has an amazing range.

I have shared a page detailing the build here:

I am very happy with this project :-)

KE0FHS Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2017 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Great shack & mobile solution  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
UPDATED REVIEW

Iím using the DVMEGA-DUAL in two configurations for D-STAR: 1) with a Raspberry Pi 3 running DStar Commander for a shack solution; and 2) with the complementary BlueStack board and the BlueDV application for Android for a mobile solution. Itís an excellent solution in both configurations.

I particularly appreciate that the shack configuration enables me to link to D-STAR repeaters as well as reflectors. Most of the hotspots Iíve seen handle reflectors fine, but not many enable repeater linking. We have a local ARES D-STAR net on a FREESTAR repeater, so thatís important to me.

The only thing I struggled with is trying to upgrade the firmware of the DVMEGA-DUAL. I tried to do that using the BlueStack board, but wasnít successful. I wanted to upgrade to 3.07 in order to expand the capability of the solution to System Fusion, as well as DMR. I finally decided that rather than risk ruining the DVMEGA board with my questionable soldering skills, Iíd order another board from The Nederlands, as they come with 3.07 already installed.

------------------
UPDATED: I decided to try upgrading the DVMEGA firmware again, and this time it worked. Not quite sure what I did differently so that it worked this time. Perhaps my soldering improved a bit, or maybe I better handled switching to ser2net mode and launching the X-Loader firmware updater app. Whatever I did differently, it worked!
------------------

I highly recommend the DVMEGA. Iím not within range of a D-STAR repeater, so it has opened up a whole new world for me. Iím using it with a Kenwood TH-D74A.

Iím keeping reference notes about my experience with D-STAR, the DVMEGA-DUAL, and the BlueStack, including the solutions to some of the challenges I ran into along the way. In case they might be helpful to anyone: ke0fhs.com/d-star.htm.

KJ5RM Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2016 08:50 Send this review to a friend
DStar/DMR/C4FM all in one package!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my single band DVMega over a year ago to support DStar mobile operations. I have a strong programming and Linux background but found the unit to be extremely simple to setup and get running. For DStar, I downloaded the Maryland DStar image, installed it, and after a simple configuration setup was on the DStar network.

I use a cell hotspot and mobile router with my DVMega. This allows me to operate DStar in the vehicle using my IC-7100. When I stay in hotels I connect my router to their internet connection giving me DStar access using my ID-51A just about anywhere I stay.

The unit has proven to be rock stable and runs cool even under constant usage. In the past I have had it linked to REF001C for over a week with no issues. Though the unit only transmits at 10mw, it is surprising the distance you can get out of it. Using a 15 inch dual band HT antenna I have roughly 1/4 mile coverage in most cases around the unit. Many times I have been able to make work the unit in the vehicle with an HT from inside buildings I visit on my travels.

Earlier this year the ďMegaĒ team released a firmware update that allows the DVMega to operate as a DMR, DStar, or Fusion hot spot using the MMDVM software. That is great product support! Using an Arduino I was able to update the firmware on my chip and enable these new functions. New DVMegas are preloaded with the correct firmware so this is not required if you purchase a new one.

After firmware update, I installed MMDVM and setup the configuration files. Once this was done I could work the Brandmeister DMR network using my TYT MD-380. DStar functions are still available using my DStar radios, as the MMDVM software switches between modes based on the traffic it is receiving. I have not tried the Fusion support yet so I canít comment on its abilities in this mode.

If you are looking for a solid device to support short range mobile digital network access then this is the one you should purchase!

GI4FZD Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2016 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Now includes DMR  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using The DVmega on d-star for a couple of months and recently with new firmware upgrade and software, it now works very well on DMR also.So well in fact that I have bought a second DVmega single band unit which mounts on a raspberrypi and resides in the boot of my car, this is linked to the internet with a mobilebroadband hotspot and monitored on the dashboard using an Android phone running Bluespot Software. I also use vnc on the Android phone to control and switch off the raspberry pi when not in use.Basically I have a system in my car that needs no external mounted antennas on which I can work the world on my journey to work. Support from Karl, the uk distributer is 100% and I would have no hesitation in recommending this device.

M6TNW Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2016 00:43 Send this review to a friend
2 years on  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just thought an update was due.
I have had a Dv-mega for 2 years now and have had no problems in any way what so ever. It is a superb unit and wooks fantastic. I have 1 at home and i have 1 that i use in my car that i tether to my phone so i can use any where i want.

I cant recomend the unit enough if you want to use D-star you need to get ine of these. Thanks to Dvmega.

G4POP Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2015 04:43 Send this review to a friend
Great unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using the DVMega dual band hotspot with my Raspberry Pi for a couple of months and it works perfectly, once set up just forget it!

I am about to set it up with my PC for permanent home use and will get the DVMega board to fit my Pi for mobile and portably use

Not the easiest device to set up in the world but it still deserves a five plus rating

G1INU Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2015 15:08 Send this review to a friend
It Really is Easy to Use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I came away on a Caravan holiday with my ID5100e in the car only to find no D-Star repeater coverage in this part of North Devon. As we get away for 9 or 10 weeks a Year in the caravan to some very isolated locations that the D-Star repeated coverage maps say have little or no coverage, I decided to look for a solution.

I came upon the DV-Mega but knowing little about D-Star and absolutely nothing about the Raspberry Pi and the DV- Mega I was a little hesitant about trying it. If your knowledge of the Raspberry Pi and the DV-Mega is the same as mine was, fear not, you can order this kit, plug it in and it will more or less work straight from the packaging. All the configuration including your call sign is setup for you by Karl before its sent out.

I say almost because I wanted to run the internet side of the DV-Mega via the WiFi Hotspot setup on my iPhone. To do this I simply attached a mouse and keyboard to the USB ports of the Raspberry Pi (In my case a wifi keyboard and mouse but a usb keyboard and mouse would be fine) I then connected the HDMI of the Raspberry Pi to my TV and powered it up, having first installed the micro SD card (supplied by Karl) into the Raspberry Pi.

It all booted up fine and I clicked on the WiFi icon on the desktop. I selected my iPhone WiFi hotspot from the list of detected WiFi in the area and entered the Hotspot password.

I then exited the software, rebooted the Raspberry Pi and that really was it..

I had already setup my new ID51e Plus to work with the DV-Mega but you can do this using the supplied software, following the advice in this file.. http://www.dv-mega.com/download/file.php?id=24

It really was simple and straightforward and as I said, I knew nothing before I started so this really is a plug and play solution. I did it all, in a caravan, 300 miles from home with no Laptop or PC in sight.

M3TZX Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2015 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Superb Product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I cannot say enough about this product, it is an incredible piece of equipment that compliments dstar perfectly, I have both the ID5100e & ID51e radios but unfortunately I live halfway up a hill in a type of valley on the edge of most of my local repeaters ranges, this made using dstar from home very limited, and when I could reach the repeaters it was often tied up with other users, I found the DVMega system which came in Arduino or Raspberry Pi formats, in either single or dual band options.
I opted for a dual band Raspberry Pi version as being a programmer I already had a stack of Pi's around the house & shack, these units were so simple to configure & use that I ended up buying a second unit dedicated to use in the car, using a Mifi unit & a 30.000mah powerbank as a power supply this made it a completely portable solution, ideal for camping & hiking or going on remote roadtrips, I can connect instantly to any DCS, REF or XRF reflectors & Starnet worldwide without tying up or even requiring a repeater.
I cannot fault these little marvels & recommend them to any dstar user.... they have now even found a way to cross connect with DMR users, how cool is that !!.

M0CSN Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2014 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Dstar made easy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
What a pleasure to use !
I swapped from a dvap to a DVMega RPI and never looked back. A quality well built unit and very easy to set up, great after sales if needed but Karl an Mick G0UEX had done most of the work prior to getting the unit.
The RPI just works,it's very stable and needs little or nothing doing to it once running.
I recently purchased a GMSK node again by DVMEGA to run my hotspot and again the build quality is excellent as is the functionality.
If you wish to get into Dstar then you really can't do better than the options offered from DVMEGA,they are affordable and work ...I wouldn't be without mine now .