Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Chameleon Hybrid Micro Help

Reviews Summary for Chameleon Hybrid Micro
Chameleon Hybrid Micro Reviews: 14 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$230
Description: The CHA HYBRID-MICRO is a lightweight highly portable
broadband antenna system designed to offer maximum
portability and performance. The antenna weights about 1 lb.
The antenna will operate at all frequencies in the 1.8-54
MHz band without any adjustment with most modern external
antenna tuners. No masts or guying are required.
The antenna will work successfully supported by trees,
masts, the tops of vehicles or any convenient object or
structure. The antenna works most effectively when elevated
at a reasonable height.
More info: http://chameleonantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the Chameleon Hybrid Micro.

NU6I Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2017 18:22 Send this review to a friend
very happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the antenna since about a month now.
It has been used with a long wire, with a MFJ 16.5ft whip and with a
sloping wire from the window of my shack at the second floor with a
ca 20ft counterpoise dangling down to the ground
I work exclusively QRP with sometimes 20w and was able to make
solid contacts despite the poor propagation.
Very good craftsmanship.

KV4AN Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2017 05:22 Send this review to a friend
Perfect Portable Antenna System  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the Hybrid-Micro that I use for my military-style FT-817 manpack, but wanted the heavier Hybrid-Mini for use with a portable vertical, so I didn't have to keep taking the Micro out of the pack. I use the Mini with the Mil Whip, Extension, Spike, and four Radials for a really superior performing easy to setup portable vertical. Outstanding on 30 meters and higher and good on 40 meters. I've not used the included wire yet, which would make it work better on 40 and 80. Chameleon antennas are amazing for their broadband characteristics and are perfect for portable operation. Using 1 Watt, a station in New Zealand heard me from Alabama on WSPR and there were many reports from all over North America.

W9JH Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2017 21:29 Send this review to a friend
Nice all-band portable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use the Hybrid Micro on a camper van as a stationary setup. Employed the JAWMOUNT clamped to the aluminum ladder mounted on the back of the van, then ran out the included 60’ wire as a counterpoise and used a 9/1/2’ Buddipole telescoping whip as the radiator. It all worked really well on 20 and up, and was OK on 40 but more difficult to make contacts. The radio is an Icom IC-7000 along with an LDG IT-100 tuner.

Build quality of the Hybrid Micro is top notch and rugged…looks to be mil spec.

A very versatile antenna system that can be used in a number of configurations.

W5TAH Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2017 07:15 Send this review to a friend
impressive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used the Hybrid Micro on portable setups in the Longwire, vertical and dipole configurations and it works with out any compromises. I compared it to a buddy pole with a coax switch in line and it has better performance everytime. there is no need to adjust anything when changing bands, just spin the VFO and go. It is made BULLETPROOF!, don't worry about hurt in this thing or breaking it, it is indestructible.
It has endless portable possibilities. Worth every penny.

K1BRA Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2016 10:27 Send this review to a friend
Chameleon == Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For portable operations, I evaluated numerous "9:1 Unun + Longwire" systems available on the market as well as building some myself. What drew me to Chameleon were the various YouTube videos that show teardowns of the Chameleon units against their competitors. Chameleon is quality design/construction and that's what sold me. Everything from the Hybrid Micro to their jaw mount and whips are top notch. The Hybrid Micro itself is solidly built and gives < 2:1 SWR to a 450-ohm load (like a 9:1 Unun should) all the way down to 1600 Khz (something you won't find with cheap Ununs that use cheaper powered iron cores).

K5HTB Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2015 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Pedestrian Mobile  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Combined with the Chameleon Mil-Whip or just a CB 1/4 wave whip, even a ham stick and tuner. It performs very well. Light weight and easy to pack.
Used with the included wire or a lighter weight home brew wire, it performs even better.

Travis
K5HTB

N4KGL Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2015 05:15 Send this review to a friend
A versatile antenna component  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I operate outdoors portable and sometimes moveable (Rapid Deployment Amateur Radio aka RaDAR). I have used the CHA Hybrid Micro in conjunction with several other Chameleon products that gives me lots of versatility. In addition to the sixty foot wire supplied I have the jaw mount, MIL whip/whip extension, top hat, and four wire counterpoise kit. The many possible configurations and are outlined in the Chameleon user manual. I have done an inverted L from tree limbs or use the whip/counterpoise. I have had good luck even with the whip. I use it with the internal tuner on my Elecraft KX3 and the LDG external tuner for my Icom 7100. I just pick a frequency and tune. It is small and very rugged. It is rated at 100 watts on SSB so back off the power to half that on CW. I have had success on many outings. I would take a look at this antenna for RaDAR, EMCOMM,and Field Day.

K7JLJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2015 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent build quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the micro and mill whip as an alternative to my LNR 40/20/10 that I use for man-portable with my FT-817.

The LNR was my first antenna and I found myself quickly growing tired of stringing trees and sometime not able to when at RV parks.

The micro was recommended by the YouTuber "Survival Tech Nord" and I'm glad I saved up for the micro as its versatility with the milwhip addition covers every configuration from NVIS to manpack whip.

All parts are precision made and of high quality.

The setup does require a tuner which I don't have yet, but comparing it to the LNR and a dipole, it brings the signals in strong even quickly mounted to my truck.

I will update this review in the future, but I would not hesitate to recommend any of Chameleons products based off of what I've seen in this sample and reading others experiences.

WB4RFQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2015 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Rugged build quality & it just works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in an 8th-floor apartment in downtown San Francisco, CA -- a space that doesn't lend itself to putting up great antennas. I've had good luck dangling a 35 foot wire out the window from a painter's extension pole, but I decided to get serious and purchase the Chameleon Hybrid Micro, which has a 60 foot wire.

The first thing I noticed is that the build quality is, like, military quality. The Hybrid Micro base is heavy for its size (a good thing, to me) and just feels indestructible. I especially appreciate the removable shackle and carabiner, which takes the strain off the antenna wire connector.

Using the extension pole + Hybrid Micro setup, I can operate my 450D (with built in tuner) on every band from 160 to 6 meters with less than a 1.2:1 SWR. Let me repeat that -- 160 to 6, <1.2:1 SWR. That's pretty impressive, and it means I don't have to fiddle with the antenna after I hang it out the window.

Totally worth the money.

NY2MC Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2015 16:41 Send this review to a friend
Great machined product   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up the Hybrid Micro as a lighter weight version of the hybrid mini and so far it is great. Seems to work just like the Mini but lightened up my pack. Made solid just like the mini. Use it with the 60ft wire and the Mil-whip. I feel confident in recommending Chameleon Antennas to everyone. NY2MC