Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Baofeng/Pofung BF-F8HP Help

Reviews Summary for Baofeng/Pofung BF-F8HP
* FM Radio and Built-in Flashlight
* ANI Code
* Emergency Tone Burst
More info: http://www.baofengradio.com/en/shownews.asp?id=28

You can write your own review of the Baofeng/Pofung BF-F8HP.

XE1ZLG Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2017 06:24 Send this review to a friend
Super great value radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Much better cross modulation resistance with its own antenna and T/R switch much faster than other UV5 based radios.. Good quality speaker sound ( better than Baofeng GT3 Wp )... FM TX modulation very good ( an old Ham buddy told me If I was using a Kenwood handheld ). WFM receiver works better than Baofeng GT3 WP.

Compact and sturdy.

Baofeng/Pofung is getting better and better.

Thanks Baofeng.

I own a Yaesu Ft 70Dr and a Kenwood Th-D74a..... and this is my every day radio. XE1ZLG

KA5CAV Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2017 13:56 Send this review to a friend
Great Little HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Can't beat it for the price, works great!

NY7Q Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2017 10:02 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I HAVE OWNED A FEW DOZEN BAOFENG/POFUNG RADIOS. THE BF-F8H IS FAR SUPERIOR TO MOST. I LOVE IT
PROGRAMMING CAN BE A BEAR, BUT IF YOU READ, YOU CAN FIGURE IT OUT. TOOK ME ABOUT 15 MINS

W6ARY Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2016 20:29 Send this review to a friend
Modest radio, but great value!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I purchased a Baofeng BF-F8HP as my first handheld ham transceiver via Amazon.com.

The radio is nontrivial to program manually, but I managed it for a local repeater (N6NFI) after a few failed attempts. I found the radio easy to program with CHIRP, but that requires the additional purchase of a programming cable, which lessens the value of the radio.

The radio has a mediocre microphone. Most people don't complain, but a couple have told me that my deviation (audio volume) is lower than others, even when I speak directly into the microphone hole and my lips are grazing the radio. That said, I listened to myself through EchoLink and felt that I sounded fine.

On *rare* occasions, I've heard a local weather service transmission bleed through on the N6NFI repeater's output frequency. Only Baofeng users have experienced this, which suggests it may be some kind of intermodulation effect that the BaoFengs fail to filter out.

Despite these caveats, I give this radio a 5/5 rating for the simple fact that it and its close relatives (other Baofeng UV-5R based radios) are incredibly good value.

For a bit less than $63, I picked up a radio that transmits at 1/4/8 watts (in practice, 7W max) with a decent rubber ducky antenna.

I am able to hit the local N6NFI repeater from all over the San Francisco Bay Area, from inside my car, with the radio sitting in a cup holder attached to its stock antenna. I haven't yet felt limited by the radio, which suggests to me that it's great value when compared with a $300-$400 HT radio.

AA8HS Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2016 18:19 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There was no way to use a mobile radio in my car so I chose a handheld with a mobile amp. The Baofeng uv-5 series ran on a battery eliminator but with buzz on transmission. With a battery, it ran fine with no heat issues. This radio is much more convenient since it has one button scanning, a lighted display and higher power battery. I will not need to change it very often if I remember to turn the unit off. The replacement batteries are of good quality and cheap. I run it at 5 watts to protect the external amp. Great mobile solution for me!

KD8UEI Rating: 4/5 Sep 16, 2015 18:16 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had my BF-F8HPs (I own two) for nearly a year now. They have held up well despite what others say about Baofengs. The only complaint I have is that I can't get them to transmit on high power with my Slim Jim antenna. It must be a high SWR problem that I have or something because they do just fine on high power with the stock antennas and with after market 15" whips. Had I known that I couldn't get them to work with my Slim Jim, I probably would have gotten a UV-5R and saved some change. But even on medium power I can hit all the local repeaters in my county and the surrounding counties using my Slim Jim. So I am happy. I feel content with my decision not to spend a lot for more expensive radios. The Baofengs do just fine.

KE4ZHN Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2015 10:52 Send this review to a friend
A great HT for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As others here have already said, these are not perfect. No radio is, not even our kilobuck HF rigs. But for the price you simply cannot go wrong. If you need a cheap beater HT that you don't have to worry about being stolen or breaking this one is for you. Even with all it's warts you get a lot of radio for a measly $62. I wish the big three could offer a package like this.

W2DI Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2015 14:39 Send this review to a friend
I have no complaints  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My son purchased this radio for me as a Christmas present. He was thrilled to 'finally afford a radio' for me. So I will keep it and use it always.
As far as performance is concerned, it receives well, I get good signal reports and the battery life is very good.
The accessories are also inexpensive. The radio costs less than some HT accessories offered by the name brand manufacturers.
There are things about it I would change, but they are not that important to me.
I did receive a faulty charging unit. Emailed BaoFeng Tech, they responded the same day and sent me a new charger unit, no hassle at all. So no points off for the defect. They really seem to want to provide good customer satisfaction.
IMHO, the BF-F8HP is not a 'perfect' HT and maybe not as robust as some. If you want an HT for emergency use in a hurricane or one that could drop 10ft onto concrete and then bounce into the lake and still work, there are better choices. But for general use with good performance, very good price for the radio and accessories, it's great.
Thanks, Joe.

K4ISR Rating: 4/5 Jan 23, 2015 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Good radio, great power  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am not one to sugar coat things. I have had my BF-F8HP for over a month now, and like my other 2 HTs (UV-5Rs), it has its share of issues. I have had a chance to put them through the paces. This covers the BF-F8HP.

Pros:
1. 8W output for a cheap price. The closest equivalent 10W single band Chinese mobile radio is 2-3 times the price.
2. LOTS of extra addons available for low prices - SMA antennas, 3800mAh battery, AAA or AA battery kit, 12VDC power kit, and more. If it fits the UV-5R, it should fit this radio as well.
3. dual band (2m/70cm)
4. FREE programming software available online (Chirp)
5. small, but expandable (the 3800mAh battery helps make it bigger if you prefer)
6. Some vendors (409shop) are now selling replacement parts if you don't mind opening it up and soldering it yourself.
7. The newer models comes with a bigger 2000mAh battery, instead of the older 1500-1800mAh batteries. I bought mine which came with the smaller battery, but I use mine with the aftermarket 3800mAh battery.

Cons:
1. cheap price brings cheap build quality, do not expect to drop it constantly or leave it out in the extreme heat/humidity/rain and expect it to work after that (if it does, probably not for long).
2. Even the upgraded 2000mAh battery is not enough to keep this radio on for more than a few hours if you transmit at 8W regularly (which is why I recommend the aftermarket 3800mAh battery).
3. Like most HTs, the 1 or 4Watt output has very limited distance unless you're out in the open or using aftermarket/external antenna.
4. Manual is useless, poorly translated "chinglish". For a much better manual, do a search online for the BF-F8HP manual (hams worked with Baofeng to produce a much better manual, sadly they only include it with that F8HP).
5. Difficult to program, especially for long time hams used to other radios programming. While others may be "frequency, tone, save", these Baofengs are "frequency, save, tone, offset, offset +/-, save" making it more difficult to manually program. Some radios have automatic offset, these do not.

Neutral:
1. The BF-F8HP includes a different antenna (model A-V85) from the rest of the Baofeng series, which I believe this same antenna is typically included with their higher end commercial models.
2. Stock battery (1500-1800mAh, or the newer 2000mAh) matches other common HTs, providing 12-36 hours of use. Luckily there is an aftermarket 3800mAh battery available which can extend that to 2+ days with heavy talking or up to a week with just scanning/monitoring the frequency.
3. Regarding the heat issues some mention: These radios are for short, quick comments, not long winded drawn out conversations lasting 30+ minutes. Typically they do get a little warm, but anyone saying it is too hot to touch after a while has self control issues with their long drawn out diatribes, not a radio problem. We've all heard these hams. If you're one of these kinds, don't bother with these radios.
4. The aftermarket items takes a mediocre radio and turns it into a beast. Stock its only good for a day or two and a few miles. With an aftermarket or external antenna and the expanded battery, it becomes a longer distance radio lasting for days.
5. Stock, it is like the other Baofengs and suffers from horrible intermod issues. Luckily Chirp has a recent update that allows you to adjust the squelch levels for most UV-5R based radios, including the BF-F8HP. After this update and adjusting the squelch levels, intermod is almost completely gone.

I personally use mine with either the Nagoya NA-701 antenna (NA-771 is too long for this small radio), or the mag mount Tram 1185. I also like to keep the 3800mAh battery on it.

With my personal testing, the 8W with 3800mAh battery and Nagoya NA-701 antenna reaches out 20 miles through thick pine tree forest (common RF sponges). With stock antenna and battery, 8W reaches out not quite 15 miles. At 4W with stock items, or UV-5R at 4W is lucky to get 5-10 miles here in the same circumstances (thanks to all the pine trees).

SIERRAHOTEL Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2014 23:34 Send this review to a friend
Not bad at all!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my BF-F8HP 2 days before Christmas. I ordered it a Nagoya NA-771 dual band whip, and a "clone" programming cable with drivers. I got the cable to work, eventually, but if I had to do it again, I would get the "real" cable, even though it costs 4X as much. Don't say you weren't warned!

The Good:

1. Very solid aluminum case. Battery attaches solidly, and the belt clip, although it's plastic, seems pretty solid, and a metal one from Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu can easily be modified to replace it, if you don't trust it.
2. Clear LOUD audio.
3. Very sensitive, beats every other handheld (HT or scanner) I have on VHF. I haven't listened to much UHF yet, but it seems at least as sensitive as my Pro-106 scanner with a Diamond dual band antenna on it.
4. Good battery life. I got about 16 hours out of a full charge with NO transmitting at all.
5. Good audio reports on 2M when I did ask a couple of times.
6. No intermod at my house, which seems to be a problem for a lot of HTs and scanners.

And the bad:

1. Awkward programming, period. I was able to get the basic stuff without even reading the manual, but it was more confusing that my old Icom 24AT was to set up. The manual is not too bad, to get the basics from, but that's about it.
2. SLOWWWW scan speed. Like 3 ch/sec. In 2014/15?
3. Weird reversed SMA connector. Why be different for different sake? As cheap as these things are, I'm tempted to swap out the SMA male for a female, so my old antennas will go right on.
4. Earbud/mike that comes in the box seems to be totally worthless, a friend said I sounded very odd with it, but the built in mike on the radio itself was ok, and sounded pretty good.

Now if CHIRP can just make it possible to disable transmit on the BF-F8HP, I will probably start carrying it, but if I can't find a way to do it, it will be a home and work radio. All in all though, it's hard to complain about something that works so well, and is about a third of the price of a "real" radio.