Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Baofeng/Pofung BF-F8HP Help

Reviews Summary for Baofeng/Pofung BF-F8HP
* FM Radio and Built-in Flashlight
* ANI Code
* Emergency Tone Burst
More info: http://www.baofengradio.com/en/shownews.asp?id=28

You can write your own review of the Baofeng/Pofung BF-F8HP.

W1REV Rating: 4/5 Dec 4, 2014 06:44 Send this review to a friend
First Impressions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If the Theory of Evolution were true, and you took one of those el-cheapo 70's pocket-sized "transistor" radios (remember those?), and stuck it in a cave for 50 zillion years, your might find it would have evolved into something like this radio. In 50 years, the world of electronics has evolved from the US, to Japan, and now to China. What next, Mars?

I just got this thing off Ebay for $32 shipped. Unbelievable price. Here are my first impressions:

What I liked:
- Super low cost
- Dual band
- Small size, light weight
- Case is more rugged than I expected
- Nice Lith battery
- Desktop charger
- Nice lady who speaks the voice prompts (you can turn her off)
- Cool built-in flashlight

What Could be Improved:
- Instruction manual lacking, e.g., no mention of how to program memory channels.
- No USA Auto Repeater Offset. E.g, turn on 600khz offset for a repeater, then QSY to 146.52 - no go to simplex automatically.
- Have to program memories, offsets, simplex, etc., via Set Menu. No shortcut keys for these.
- While the case is surprisingly well make, some things are funky, like the LED light sticking out of the top.
- Battery is partially held in place by two small tabs that engage the bottom of the battery. S/b no issue, unless you drop the radio. I wouldn't drop it.
- I wouldn't venture to use this radio in the rain.
- PTT button is a little lighter touch than I would like. Be care putting this in your pocket w/o turning on the key lock (they have a shortcut key for this).

To sum up, for <$40, go get one, brag to all your friends, but don't expect it to be exactly at the level of what you're used to. Give these guys are little time to refine some things, and Icom and Yaesu may have to adjust their marketing plan.

KK4CZT Rating: 4/5 Oct 15, 2014 17:34 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hard to find an 8 watt HT this radio is getting better and better with each Rev. they have fixed the inter Mod issues and given it more power, I can now hit repeaters that I did not have access to in the past better audio and I can use all the accessories from the UVR5, this radio with the MFJ 1717 antenna is a great little HT for any ham and for 62.00 dollars it is a steel.

KT0DD Rating: 4/5 Sep 21, 2014 06:23 Send this review to a friend
Nice for the $$, Has a Glitch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Thanks to the cheap prices, I can buy and try the Baofeng line. I've had the UV5R, didn't like it. I have the UV-82, love it, have the BF-F8+, like it, and now have a BF-F8HP and like it as well.

Miklor.com tested the F8HP and found it actually does 7 watts VHF and 6 watts UHF.

Since it takes a 4X power gain to really make any difference, I think any gain of a couple of watts is marginal at best, but with an HT, I guess every little bit helps, and coupled with a good aftermarket gain antenna the difference may be noticeable.

The F8HP does have a programming glitch. Do not turn off the KEY BEEP..(I think menu # 7 or 8) or the receiver goes dead. Miklor.com has a description of this glitch. The radio does fine if you leave the key beep on. I hope Baofeng fixes this glitch in the future.

I bought mine for an emergency backup radio to keep in the car in case my main HT fails or as a loaner in an emergency situation. It seems adequate for this.

I will look at buying another one after the key beep menu glitch is solved.

KK4TBJ Rating: 4/5 Aug 22, 2014 08:21 Send this review to a friend
A continuation of the evolution of the UV5R series, nice radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Note: I am far more interested in how a radio feels, functions and performs than with the highly technical side of things. My review reflects my opinion based on my own usage. Your mileage may vary.

Bottom line: I recommend this radio if you are a fan of the UV-5R series radios and are looking for potentially greater transmitting distance.

I purchased this radio primarily for its claimed increased transmitting power, size and generally great value vs performance of the Baofeng HTs. My initial impression is favorable--when compared alongside of my Baofeng UV-89:

1. There is a possible edge in transmission distance. I am able to contact a repeater approximately 30 miles away from within my home and when using the Nagoya NA-771 antenna. The UV-89 with the Nagoya can do this as well, but the BF-F8HP did so better.

(My intended use for the BF-F8HP is within my vehicle and connected to a Diamond NR770HNMO antenna. Hence, I will update review once tested)

2. The audio is very good, but the sound quality of the larger UV-89 is a tad better.

3. FM radio reception is decent, however, the UV-89 did a better job acquiring stations.

4. The user interface will be familiar to Baofeng users.

5. Programming requires downloading the daily build from Chirp site. Once successfully loaded, it's the typical easy process.