Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Baofeng/Pofung BF-F8HP Help

Reviews Summary for Baofeng/Pofung BF-F8HP
* FM Radio and Built-in Flashlight
* ANI Code
* Emergency Tone Burst
More info: http://www.baofengradio.com/en/shownews.asp?id=28

You can write your own review of the Baofeng/Pofung BF-F8HP.

KE4ZHN Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2015 10:52 Send this review to a friend
A great HT for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As others here have already said, these are not perfect. No radio is, not even our kilobuck HF rigs. But for the price you simply cannot go wrong. If you need a cheap beater HT that you don't have to worry about being stolen or breaking this one is for you. Even with all it's warts you get a lot of radio for a measly $62. I wish the big three could offer a package like this.

W2DI Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2015 14:39 Send this review to a friend
I have no complaints  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My son purchased this radio for me as a Christmas present. He was thrilled to 'finally afford a radio' for me. So I will keep it and use it always.
As far as performance is concerned, it receives well, I get good signal reports and the battery life is very good.
The accessories are also inexpensive. The radio costs less than some HT accessories offered by the name brand manufacturers.
There are things about it I would change, but they are not that important to me.
I did receive a faulty charging unit. Emailed BaoFeng Tech, they responded the same day and sent me a new charger unit, no hassle at all. So no points off for the defect. They really seem to want to provide good customer satisfaction.
IMHO, the BF-F8HP is not a 'perfect' HT and maybe not as robust as some. If you want an HT for emergency use in a hurricane or one that could drop 10ft onto concrete and then bounce into the lake and still work, there are better choices. But for general use with good performance, very good price for the radio and accessories, it's great.
Thanks, Joe.

K4ISR Rating: 4/5 Jan 23, 2015 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Good radio, great power  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am not one to sugar coat things. I have had my BF-F8HP for over a month now, and like my other 2 HTs (UV-5Rs), it has its share of issues. I have had a chance to put them through the paces. This covers the BF-F8HP.

Pros:
1. 8W output for a cheap price. The closest equivalent 10W single band Chinese mobile radio is 2-3 times the price.
2. LOTS of extra addons available for low prices - SMA antennas, 3800mAh battery, AAA or AA battery kit, 12VDC power kit, and more. If it fits the UV-5R, it should fit this radio as well.
3. dual band (2m/70cm)
4. FREE programming software available online (Chirp)
5. small, but expandable (the 3800mAh battery helps make it bigger if you prefer)
6. Some vendors (409shop) are now selling replacement parts if you don't mind opening it up and soldering it yourself.
7. The newer models comes with a bigger 2000mAh battery, instead of the older 1500-1800mAh batteries. I bought mine which came with the smaller battery, but I use mine with the aftermarket 3800mAh battery.

Cons:
1. cheap price brings cheap build quality, do not expect to drop it constantly or leave it out in the extreme heat/humidity/rain and expect it to work after that (if it does, probably not for long).
2. Even the upgraded 2000mAh battery is not enough to keep this radio on for more than a few hours if you transmit at 8W regularly (which is why I recommend the aftermarket 3800mAh battery).
3. Like most HTs, the 1 or 4Watt output has very limited distance unless you're out in the open or using aftermarket/external antenna.
4. Manual is useless, poorly translated "chinglish". For a much better manual, do a search online for the BF-F8HP manual (hams worked with Baofeng to produce a much better manual, sadly they only include it with that F8HP).
5. Difficult to program, especially for long time hams used to other radios programming. While others may be "frequency, tone, save", these Baofengs are "frequency, save, tone, offset, offset +/-, save" making it more difficult to manually program. Some radios have automatic offset, these do not.

Neutral:
1. The BF-F8HP includes a different antenna (model A-V85) from the rest of the Baofeng series, which I believe this same antenna is typically included with their higher end commercial models.
2. Stock battery (1500-1800mAh, or the newer 2000mAh) matches other common HTs, providing 12-36 hours of use. Luckily there is an aftermarket 3800mAh battery available which can extend that to 2+ days with heavy talking or up to a week with just scanning/monitoring the frequency.
3. Regarding the heat issues some mention: These radios are for short, quick comments, not long winded drawn out conversations lasting 30+ minutes. Typically they do get a little warm, but anyone saying it is too hot to touch after a while has self control issues with their long drawn out diatribes, not a radio problem. We've all heard these hams. If you're one of these kinds, don't bother with these radios.
4. The aftermarket items takes a mediocre radio and turns it into a beast. Stock its only good for a day or two and a few miles. With an aftermarket or external antenna and the expanded battery, it becomes a longer distance radio lasting for days.
5. Stock, it is like the other Baofengs and suffers from horrible intermod issues. Luckily Chirp has a recent update that allows you to adjust the squelch levels for most UV-5R based radios, including the BF-F8HP. After this update and adjusting the squelch levels, intermod is almost completely gone.

I personally use mine with either the Nagoya NA-701 antenna (NA-771 is too long for this small radio), or the mag mount Tram 1185. I also like to keep the 3800mAh battery on it.

With my personal testing, the 8W with 3800mAh battery and Nagoya NA-701 antenna reaches out 20 miles through thick pine tree forest (common RF sponges). With stock antenna and battery, 8W reaches out not quite 15 miles. At 4W with stock items, or UV-5R at 4W is lucky to get 5-10 miles here in the same circumstances (thanks to all the pine trees).

SIERRAHOTEL Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2014 23:34 Send this review to a friend
Not bad at all!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my BF-F8HP 2 days before Christmas. I ordered it a Nagoya NA-771 dual band whip, and a "clone" programming cable with drivers. I got the cable to work, eventually, but if I had to do it again, I would get the "real" cable, even though it costs 4X as much. Don't say you weren't warned!

The Good:

1. Very solid aluminum case. Battery attaches solidly, and the belt clip, although it's plastic, seems pretty solid, and a metal one from Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu can easily be modified to replace it, if you don't trust it.
2. Clear LOUD audio.
3. Very sensitive, beats every other handheld (HT or scanner) I have on VHF. I haven't listened to much UHF yet, but it seems at least as sensitive as my Pro-106 scanner with a Diamond dual band antenna on it.
4. Good battery life. I got about 16 hours out of a full charge with NO transmitting at all.
5. Good audio reports on 2M when I did ask a couple of times.
6. No intermod at my house, which seems to be a problem for a lot of HTs and scanners.

And the bad:

1. Awkward programming, period. I was able to get the basic stuff without even reading the manual, but it was more confusing that my old Icom 24AT was to set up. The manual is not too bad, to get the basics from, but that's about it.
2. SLOWWWW scan speed. Like 3 ch/sec. In 2014/15?
3. Weird reversed SMA connector. Why be different for different sake? As cheap as these things are, I'm tempted to swap out the SMA male for a female, so my old antennas will go right on.
4. Earbud/mike that comes in the box seems to be totally worthless, a friend said I sounded very odd with it, but the built in mike on the radio itself was ok, and sounded pretty good.

Now if CHIRP can just make it possible to disable transmit on the BF-F8HP, I will probably start carrying it, but if I can't find a way to do it, it will be a home and work radio. All in all though, it's hard to complain about something that works so well, and is about a third of the price of a "real" radio.

KD4EG Rating: 3/5 Dec 24, 2014 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Good for the Money..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What is good!
Very Good Price, Great Battery Life, Good Receiver Sensitivity, inexpensive accessories, Good transmit power.
Easy to program with CHIRP.
Whats is bad!
Operating manual has limited information
The scanning function stops on carrier signal only, not on carrier and CTCSS. (CTCSS only mutes the sound) As such, it will stop scanning on any carrier signal.
Annoying clicking sound from the speaker when receiving a UHF signal with the radio is in motion. (This is hard to explain but it is subtle and may not bother other folks}
Given the price, I would buy again.

W1REV Rating: 4/5 Dec 4, 2014 06:44 Send this review to a friend
First Impressions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If the Theory of Evolution were true, and you took one of those el-cheapo 70's pocket-sized "transistor" radios (remember those?), and stuck it in a cave for 50 zillion years, your might find it would have evolved into something like this radio. In 50 years, the world of electronics has evolved from the US, to Japan, and now to China. What next, Mars?

I just got this thing off Ebay for $32 shipped. Unbelievable price. Here are my first impressions:

What I liked:
- Super low cost
- Dual band
- Small size, light weight
- Case is more rugged than I expected
- Nice Lith battery
- Desktop charger
- Nice lady who speaks the voice prompts (you can turn her off)
- Cool built-in flashlight

What Could be Improved:
- Instruction manual lacking, e.g., no mention of how to program memory channels.
- No USA Auto Repeater Offset. E.g, turn on 600khz offset for a repeater, then QSY to 146.52 - no go to simplex automatically.
- Have to program memories, offsets, simplex, etc., via Set Menu. No shortcut keys for these.
- While the case is surprisingly well make, some things are funky, like the LED light sticking out of the top.
- Battery is partially held in place by two small tabs that engage the bottom of the battery. S/b no issue, unless you drop the radio. I wouldn't drop it.
- I wouldn't venture to use this radio in the rain.
- PTT button is a little lighter touch than I would like. Be care putting this in your pocket w/o turning on the key lock (they have a shortcut key for this).

To sum up, for <$40, go get one, brag to all your friends, but don't expect it to be exactly at the level of what you're used to. Give these guys are little time to refine some things, and Icom and Yaesu may have to adjust their marketing plan.

KK4CZT Rating: 4/5 Oct 15, 2014 17:34 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hard to find an 8 watt HT this radio is getting better and better with each Rev. they have fixed the inter Mod issues and given it more power, I can now hit repeaters that I did not have access to in the past better audio and I can use all the accessories from the UVR5, this radio with the MFJ 1717 antenna is a great little HT for any ham and for 62.00 dollars it is a steel.

KT0DD Rating: 4/5 Sep 21, 2014 06:23 Send this review to a friend
Nice for the $$, Has a Glitch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Thanks to the cheap prices, I can buy and try the Baofeng line. I've had the UV5R, didn't like it. I have the UV-82, love it, have the BF-F8+, like it, and now have a BF-F8HP and like it as well.

Miklor.com tested the F8HP and found it actually does 7 watts VHF and 6 watts UHF.

Since it takes a 4X power gain to really make any difference, I think any gain of a couple of watts is marginal at best, but with an HT, I guess every little bit helps, and coupled with a good aftermarket gain antenna the difference may be noticeable.

The F8HP does have a programming glitch. Do not turn off the KEY BEEP..(I think menu # 7 or 8) or the receiver goes dead. Miklor.com has a description of this glitch. The radio does fine if you leave the key beep on. I hope Baofeng fixes this glitch in the future.

I bought mine for an emergency backup radio to keep in the car in case my main HT fails or as a loaner in an emergency situation. It seems adequate for this.

I will look at buying another one after the key beep menu glitch is solved.

KK4TBJ Rating: 4/5 Aug 22, 2014 08:21 Send this review to a friend
A continuation of the evolution of the UV5R series, nice radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Note: I am far more interested in how a radio feels, functions and performs than with the highly technical side of things. My review reflects my opinion based on my own usage. Your mileage may vary.

Bottom line: I recommend this radio if you are a fan of the UV-5R series radios and are looking for potentially greater transmitting distance.

I purchased this radio primarily for its claimed increased transmitting power, size and generally great value vs performance of the Baofeng HTs. My initial impression is favorable--when compared alongside of my Baofeng UV-89:

1. There is a possible edge in transmission distance. I am able to contact a repeater approximately 30 miles away from within my home and when using the Nagoya NA-771 antenna. The UV-89 with the Nagoya can do this as well, but the BF-F8HP did so better.

(My intended use for the BF-F8HP is within my vehicle and connected to a Diamond NR770HNMO antenna. Hence, I will update review once tested)

2. The audio is very good, but the sound quality of the larger UV-89 is a tad better.

3. FM radio reception is decent, however, the UV-89 did a better job acquiring stations.

4. The user interface will be familiar to Baofeng users.

5. Programming requires downloading the daily build from Chirp site. Once successfully loaded, it's the typical easy process.