Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Wouxun KG UV8D Help

Reviews Summary for Wouxun KG UV8D
Wouxun KG UV8D Reviews: 25 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $169.00
Description: V/UHF Handheld Txcvr - Dual reveive 135-175 MHz & 400-520Mhz, although these frequencies vary in different parts of the world
More info: http://wouxun.com/Two-Way-Radio/KG-UV8D.htm

You can write your own review of the Wouxun KG UV8D.

ZL4BKD Rating: 2/5 Sep 12, 2017 22:10 Send this review to a friend
2.5  Time owned: more than 12 months
One phrase sums it up: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably won't measure up to your expectation.

The KG-uv8d promises a lot, and Wouxun's attempt to squeeze so many features into a hand held have come up short, in the long term anyway.

I have owned 5 of these for about three years, and used most of them on a weekly basis. While they all worked OK, with reasonably good power output, and with a decent antenna would punch out on simplex over 20km on vhf. From from the get-go features began playing up. From new one would restart itself two or three times in the first 5 minutes of operation, then would be fine for the rest of the day. Two of my more recently purchased 8D's had the backlight feature killed when I wire cloned them from my original 8D. Nothing would fix that. Not a factory reset, not a computer.
Two of them have dropped an entire bank of memory, so instead of the screen showing both banks of channels, one would show stored channel data while the other would only show up "Wuoxun kg-uv8d". A fresh clone bought them back once, then a few months later they were gone for good.
But the worst issue is that after several years, the tx finals went out....one by one, on all of them. Initially the vhf went so you could only transmit from, say one room to another, but uhf was fine for a few km, then uhf too died. Bottom line: I now own 5 scanners;) , not that their scanning rate is anything to write home about!!

In contrast, my two KG-UV6D's appear so much more reliable.

And to add even more contrast, my two 21 year old Kenwood TH 22AT's and my 20 year old Icom V82's still work as designed the day I purchased them:)

LAMBERTINOS Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2017 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Does it perfect and cross band too!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Really enjoy the Wouxun KG-UV8D. It does it all. Double real VFO. And it even have it's own crossband capability.

K7REX Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2017 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Cross-Band Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this only to use as a cross-band radio at a mountain cabin. It has worked flawlessly from day one allowing myself and other hams in the area to work a repeater outside the area that otherwise would not happen.

For what I got it for, it works perfectly !!!

KC1ELZ Rating: 2/5 Sep 8, 2016 07:56 Send this review to a friend
Great UNTIL it failed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my Wouxun KG-UV8D less than 2 months ago. The manual is terrible for new hams who are unfamiliar with the jargon, and the manual programming has the operator hopping around the menu button like a toad on a hot road... IF you can figure out what the needed settings are for what one wants to accomplish with the radio. The Wouxun software did not display its information boxes well on my Windows 10 PC, leaving the info in the boxes half hidden on some of the tabbed screens. Once another ham and I got this radio configured and programmed and got me familiar with how to program repeaters and simplex on it, I was able to hit one repeater from my house using the stock RD antenna. That repeater became my FM anchor for 2 meters and a baseline for all comparisons as it was full quieting rx/tx between my QTH and the repeater. All went well until I took a trip and tried using simplex. I actually got a great mobile QSO in the southern part of NH, but after that the radio failed to accept or access repeaters. Several of us tried to troubleshoot the radio but I had to send it back to CheapHam. They said that they would warranty it and try to repair it... but that they are backed up 4-5 weeks on repairs. I had no choice but to buy a new one or mail it back under warranty and wait for CheapHam to decide what to do with it. So, now I wait to see if CheapHam will repair or replace this radio.

AD1ET Rating: 2/5 Jun 25, 2016 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Well, A Fatal Flaw Perhaps  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I previously reviewed this radio after an initial programming and it was working flawlessly. Shortly thereafter the radio failed to receive on VHF channels. I could transmit and another radio would pick up the repeater squelch tail but nothing on the UV8D. Returned it to seller. Seller and Wouxun told me that there were parameters in the programming software I used that would essentially "brick" the radio. Not their fault in their opinion since I used Powerwerx download for the UV8D and not Wouxun download. I did a file compare and the two versions are identical. Armed with that bit of info, the seller refunded my purchase price. It should NOT be possible to enter programming values into a radios memory that will cause the radio to fail. I would not recommend this radio given the rather spooky behaviour I experienced. I have been programing Baofengs useing Chirp for two years with no problems.

OH2KEN Rating: 4/5 Apr 24, 2016 03:14 Send this review to a friend
a nice liittle ht from China  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had no problems with my Wouxun kg-uv8d. No squelch problem, no receiving nor transmitting problems. And I live in the capital of Finland just a few kilometers from the largest international airport in the country. It has never lost its memory settings. The casing is strong. The display is clear and logical. It came preprogrammed from the dealer in Finland with all repeaters needed on all bands it offers. Audio is very strong and clear. The smaller battery pack is good for a day of monitoring and some talking. And its dual band receiver is great. In my experience it is a very good multifunctional tranceiver for the money. Affordable AND good value. I will be getting a larger capacity spare battery pack though, also the AA battery pack and the battery eliminator for mobile use. The desktop charger is a little slow for my taste. Bluetooth would also be nice...but I am very satisfied with this little handheld tranceiver.

AD0AR Rating: 3/5 Jan 29, 2016 19:50 Send this review to a friend
Good RX, dirty TX  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this at a hamfest. It was a splurge buy.
I can't believe the RX sensitivity on this thing! I was using it to receive VHF police/fire frequencies in Illinois due to a car accident that snarled traffic, tossed it in the car, and when I got to my QTH by Iowa City, Iowa, I connected it to my 5/8 whip on the roof of my house and turned it on. While I was rooting around on the web for some repeater frequencies, I heard the squelch pop and I could still hear the Illinois police on frequency!!! Holy Cow! That is sensitive!
Now for the not so good.
This is the one deal breaker for me I HATE about this radio. You can only scan the active VFO. If you select a VFO to scan, as soon as you select the 2nd VFO, the 1st one stops scanning and vice versa.
Also the scan speed is rather mediocre.
I also looked at the radiated spectrum. On VHF it is not very clean. By all means my method of viewing the spectrum is not calibrated, but I used the spectrum scope on my IC-7000 and it is down right dirty. If it wasn't for me being already on the fundamental frequency, I would have been hard pressed to find it with all those radiated spurs!
UHF is much cleaner, but they were still present.
Battery life is good, but I noticed that the self discharge rate of this radio (battery ON the radio) is much higher than my KG-UVD1P and KG-UV9D.
The repeater function is awesome, but keep in mind you will need to use the programming cable/ software to access some of the repeater controller attributes otherwise as soon as the incoming signal stops, so does the TX so you may never know if you are actually keying the repeater unless you have a duplex radio.
Also to note: The KG-UV8D and KG-UV9D chargers are cross compatible between both radios. They can fit either one (yaaaay!)

AB3LW Rating: 3/5 Jan 25, 2016 01:01 Send this review to a friend
on my second one.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
about a year ago when these came out i bought one. it served me well til recently. when it developed a weird problem.
it kept dialing up 4s and 7s on its own. its still usable if i keep the keypad locked. idk what its problem is.

i just bought another one a few days ago, only because i have a lot of nice accessories for it. otherwise i would have opted for the alinco 500 at about the same price.

its good for a scanner, but if you intend to do any transmitting take a look at the alinco first.

one thing that im noticeing with the new one is that on overdeviated signals it distorts very badly ( yes i did have the bandwidth set correctly)

sensitivity on both of them is lacking, the uv5rs and the uv899s put it to shame.

my biggest complaint about it is that if go into the scanning mode that stupid dial light stays on..

my best advice about all of these ccrs in general is that they are ok for scanners. but dont take it out into a situation where anybodys life depends on it working.

but i am not completely dissatisfied though, as i sit like vulture waiting for them to close em out @50 usd. a fair price imo.

KF2YD Rating: 1/5 Jul 16, 2015 05:39 Send this review to a friend
Poorly Made  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would read the following article before you purchase a Wouxun Chinese radio.

Statements made by a US Wouxuns Dealer

Wouxun-China has always been a pain in the rear to deal with but I have now had enough. When their flop of a dual band mobile came out, I made a simple announcement on my web site that I would not be selling it because it did not meet my expectations. Even though I didn't say it was the piece of junk it really was, Wouxun still took offense and decided they would no longer have dealings with me. For the past two years, I've continued to sell their radios, buying them directly from the factory under an assumed name.

I wired payment for five hundred radios on Oct 1st, 2013. These radios were supposed to be in stock and shipped right away (before the Hong Kong Electronics Show). After waiting until mid-December on this shipment, I gave up. I asked that the order be cancelled and a refund issued. I didn't know if I'd ever see that money, but they did send it back. Of course they did not pay the transfer fees, so I lost $115 in the process. I guess I'm still lucky considering.

From the beginning, Wouxun has offered no warranty support for defective radios. Although they were willing to repair any radio, they wanted me to bring them to China so they would not have to pay any kind of duty or return shipping. I actually did this with one batch but like so many things, they just don't get it. To my customers, I was replacing a defective radio with a brand new radio. When Wouxun made the repairs, I got a used radio in return. They could never understand that this was a problem to me. Perhaps I'm lucky that I'm only sitting on five hundred defective radios.

ALL Wouxun dual band radios have an internal defect that the factory refuses to address. They know there is a problem, they know how to fix it, but they will blame the problem on everything in the world except what it really is. Without warning, any of their dual band models can "lose memory". One day when the radio is turned on, it will revert to speaking Chinese and the display will show channel numbers instead of channel names. Often the programmed channels themselves will be gone. Reprogramming the radio may restore it for a short time but often it's cured for only one off/on cycle.

I've been told by experts that there is a chip in the radio that gets new data written to it each time the radio is turned off. They say a decent chip will make this cycle a million times before failure. I have many radios returned with this problem that have been in service for as little as two months. Wouxun is aware of the chip but they blame the problem on after-market programming software or anything else they can think of. This problem has existed for years. Before I knew exactly what caused the problem, I suggested they place this chip in a socket for easy repair. That's never happened. They won't spend an extra ten cents to end the problem.

Starting January 1st, I will no longer offer any kind of support or warranty on any Wouxun radio. I assume Wouxun will make repairs to items returned to the factory, but since I've had no contact with them in two years, don't take my word for it. Wouxun.US, aka Import Communications, will continue to sell Wouxun accessories as long as there is a demand. I will warranty these items out of my own pocket as I always have. But no radio support or warranty after January 1st.

All existing KG-UV6Dv2 radios in stock will be sold at a very reduced price to get them out of my way. The link below will direct you to the sale page.

KF2YD Rating: 1/5 Jul 16, 2015 05:37 Send this review to a friend
:Wouxun Throw Away Radios  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would read the following article before you purchase a Wouxun Chinese radio.

Statements made by a US Wouxuns dealer