Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Wouxun KG UV8D Help

Reviews Summary for Wouxun KG UV8D
Wouxun KG UV8D Reviews: 25 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $169.00
Description: V/UHF Handheld Txcvr - Dual reveive 135-175 MHz & 400-520Mhz, although these frequencies vary in different parts of the world
More info: http://wouxun.com/Two-Way-Radio/KG-UV8D.htm

You can write your own review of the Wouxun KG UV8D.

N8PMG Rating: 3/5 May 18, 2015 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Slightly below average  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It works, but not as intuitive as many radios I have. It appears to have two scanlists of 10 choices, but there is really only one list of ten. My biggest gripe is that the battery discharges quite quickly even when it is turned off. It would not be a good choice for a jump kit or backup. For almost the same money, the FT-60 from Yaesu is clearly better. (I have both.)

KC1ECT Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2015 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Love It! Ver. 1.05  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my KG-UV8D from Buy Two Way Radios and it came with a 2600mAh battery for 119.00 shipped. This HT feels solid in the hand and looks more like a quality radio than the 2 Baofengs I own. Don't get me wrong, I like the Baofengs,but they look and feel more like toys.

I love the big screen on the UV8D and I keep it on while the radio is in operation. The audio quality is good. It programs very easily with Chirp software and I use the same cable that I use for my Baofengs.

This radio transmits well and I have had great reports. The included antenna is OK, but I would like to get a better one. I like the VFO knob on the top of the radio. The programable side buttons allow for scan and a second PTT.

I have nothing bad to say about this transceiver. It may be another Chinese radio, but so what. The KG-UV8D its a quality product that is very useful and convenient.

KK6QMS Rating: 1/5 Mar 12, 2015 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Feedback issues etc.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted a radio with better front end than Baofeng and had full duplex capability. I got a great package deal from MTC but the radio has some fatal flaws for me.

1- when you cross band duplex you will get awful feedback through the speaker or earpiece! MTC tested it with a Pryme earpiece and the issue went away. Unusable for me. Note for duplexers- set rx in main band, set tx in sub band, set option 49 to rx to avoid phasing issues on rx.

2- Front end no better than UV-5R and even worse in some scenarios.

3- You cannot read the display in daylight, you are forced to activate the backlight to see anything.

If you need a radio as a repeater you will be happy. Also like I said for $169 total I got radio, extra lg capacity batt, dc battery elim, large antenna, AA battery pack, drop in charger. Good deal but bad radio for my needs.

KG7PTZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 12, 2015 01:28 Send this review to a friend
No complaints  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've used a few other HT's and what makes this on shine is the screen. No more boring HT screens! I've had it for 6 months now and use it daily. Very rugged, and works every time. great signal reports and decent rx. Mine doesn't suffer from front end issues or squelch issues as others have reported. My only complaint is the process to assign a name to a saved memory. Its absolutely ridiculous how long it takes. download the free software... its soooo much easier.

FORMER_K2OOL Rating: 0/5 Feb 28, 2015 20:21 Send this review to a friend
I take it back,it died!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After a few great weeks the Wouxun KG-UV8D died,the display is upsidedown and full off erroneous messes!
What started off good ,ended fast!

FORMER_K2OOL Rating: 4/5 Feb 13, 2015 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Wouxun Nicest tribander FM/144/440  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very sensitive for an HT of its caliber!
Nice flashlight,FM radio is good but no
presets??????What the -----------!heck,I wanted to say heck.
It has a birdie on 442.000 MHZ which is
terrible for NJ!(if theres a repeater you are
totally up a creek.)
Loud receive and transmit audio.
Presets galore.
So far it works for $109
Ask me in a few months if it ended up under my truck tire or not.

W5BSJ Rating: 2/5 Jan 1, 2015 22:33 Send this review to a friend
Meh  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First of all, I wouldn't exactly call this a cheap radio. For $159 you can get a nice single band radio from a reputable manufacturer. For a little bit more, you can get a nice dual band.

Thankfully, I only spent $100 on this rig or I'd return it. Honestly, there are only three reasons I purchased it and plan on keeping it.
1) It's Part 90 compliant which allows me to use this for SAR
2) It has 999 channels, again useful for SAR
3) It has crossband repeat functionality

This is NOT a good radio. I'm not sure I can say that enough. I live/work in areas of huge interference (10's of kW TX's). Through my informal tests, I believe this radio has a terrible front end receiver and suffers from poor selectivity, like most Baofeng radios. Wouxun supposedly was known for building better front ends. But this radio breaks squelch from <1W transmitters 800kHz off frequency. That's horrible. My Baofeng UVB5 is much better in this regard and cost 1/3 the price.

As others have mentioned, information available online shows that this transmitter is tremendously bad with respect to spurious emissions. If these results are valid, I'm surprised Wouxun got this radio approved by the FCC.

The radio's only saving grace is the crossband repeater. It works surprisingly well. For an emergency crossband repeater, it's worth holding onto.

Regrettably, the KG-UV8D is not fully supported by CHIRP. In fact, using CHIRP to program this is a bit of a nightmare. I won't buy another Cheap Chinese Radio (CCR) without CHIRP fully supporting it. Programming from the radio is easy as long as you don't need to save a channel name, which is a pain to enter.

Some nice features include the high resolution LCD color display and the programmable PF1/3 buttons. Audio quality is very good and I get good reports from contacts...I can't help but wonder what channel they are tuned to when we QSO.

This radio makes a bad name for Wouxun in my opinion. I hope they work out some of these problems. Pending better reviews of future products, this will be my last and only Wouxun acquisition.

KF5VQY Rating: 1/5 Dec 27, 2014 19:05 Send this review to a friend
Seriously flawed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm going to limit my review to discussion of a couple of serious issues I found on this radio (I bought mine three months ago on Amazon).

One of the first things I noticed was that it was very easy to de-sense the receiver (at least on VHF, I never even got around to trying UHF) when using a base station antenna. I noticed while listening on a local repeater that the radio was quite deaf on Reverse - even though I'm on a 17 foot vertical whip and the friend I was talking to is also on a nice base vertical antenna only 3 miles away, I couldn't hear him at all on reverse. So I walked out to my car and plugged the UV8D into my little mag mount antenna and then I could hear my friend just fine on Reverse. I walked back into the house and plugged into the base antenna and the radio was deaf again on Reverse. So de-sense was the culprit.

I was quite disappointed, but that's not what made me send the radio back.

The deal breaker for me happened while I was testing the cross band repeat functionality. I was transmitting on a UHF frequency 25KHz away from a local repeater, talking in cross band mode with a friend, when another friend (the one 3 miles away) came on and informed me that I was splattering onto the repeater 25KHz away. So I opened up the bandscope on HDSDR and saw the UV8D was shooting up large spurious spikes every 23 KHZ on both sides of the frequency I was transmitting on!

I immediately took the UV8D out of crossband mode and tried transmitting again, thinking (actually hoping) that the transmitted signal would "clean up", but no such luck - in fact, there was nothing I could do that would fix the spurious emission issue. And I tried everything - changing VFOs (A and B), changing frequencies, changing bands, changing transmit power level, swapping antennas, nothing helped. So I took some screenshots of the spikes on HDSDR and sent the pictures to my vendor and asked him if I could return the UV8D and swap it for a UV6D, which he cheerfully agreed to. The UV6D I received has a much cleaner transmit picture on the bandscope, on both bands. And the UV6D isn't at all affected by the de-sense issue that the UV8D was.

The day after the 'splattering' incident, my friend sent me a link to an article (actually, a review) about the UV8D displaying a very bad spurious emission problem that's due to the simple fact that it's extremely difficult (and expensive) to build a "clean" cross band repeater within the physical constraints of an HT chassis.

Here's a link to that review:

That article is actually a review of two radios, the Wouxun UV8D and a Puxung, but the two radios are similar enough that the author reviewed them together. And in his own words, regarding spurious emissions, both of the radios being tested "fail miserably". He shows a screenshot of a spectrum analyzer trace that looks like a forest full of trees!

So for several reasons I can't give this radio even a passing grade, nor can I in good faith recommend it to anyone not living far out in the country (where de-sense or spurious emissions wouldn't be a problem).

W0TRJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2014 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio Dual Band  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received the Radio today from Amazon for $118 shipped.
My Radio now has the Version 1.05 firmware with the green (A/B)&(EXIT)buttons.
I programmed in a local repeater freq in the VFO mode and had no problems after setting up the PL tone and the 600khz offset, had good TX audio reports and it has great RX audio output.

The programming software I found on the net worked, but I had some problems loading the USB drivers for the programming cable, I had to manually install the drivers into my computer make them work.
I read many reviews with Radio's having the V1.03 with squelch issues, And I think some of them are still out there for sale, Just make sure you are buying the V1.05 or you could receive the V1.03 and have the squelch problem issue! I am not sure about problems the other version firmware the radio could come with.
I will up date this review after doing more testing with my Radio service monitor.

KC4CQS Rating: 2/5 Nov 3, 2014 17:15 Send this review to a friend
Not Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Version 1.03 still has "Not Fixed the Squelch issue". Buyer Beware. Has "Muddy Audio" vs. the UV-6X. I did a side by side with the Wouxun UV-8D, UV-6X, "Baofeng UV-82" and the winner was the 40.00 Amazon Baofeng UV-82. Go figure and with no Squelch issue. To Wouxun, go back and try again. The Squelch shuts both Weak and Strong Signals off at any setting. The settings 1 thru 9 are all the same. And before anyone says "Reset the Rig", did it 3 times. No Cigar. Pass this one by. It's going back to the dealer tomorrow. If you buy one from Epay, good luck folks. I didn't and glad about that at least. Worst HT I've owned in 27 years. A Dud...