Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Bearcat DX-1000 Help

Reviews Summary for Bearcat DX-1000
Bearcat DX-1000 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $$550
Description: Fancy looking 10 -30000KHz Japanese made multimode digital receiver.

You can write your own review of the Bearcat DX-1000.

KI4RHC Rating: 4/5 Jan 7, 2018 05:55 Send this review to a friend
Good Receiver if Handled Properly  Time owned: more than 12 months
I remember seeing the DX-1000 in a WRTVH ad back in 1984 when I was a kid, and wanting one ever since. I was using an old multiband portable radio without any bandspread with success, but the Bearcat had so many things that my radio didn't and it looked so freaking cool! Several decades later I found a real nice one for sale so...

This receiver has a poor reputation which it does not completely deserve. The biggest negative is when using it for HF broadcast listening in AM mode. The best way to describe it is that things just sound "off." Using ECSS helps here. Oddly, I find AM mode on MW to be less of a problem.

Things definitely change when using it on HF in SSB mode. I use this receiver for listening to utilities and there it does not disappoint. The tuning steps are only 100 herz but the fine tuning will zero in on anything. I always hunt for utes with the DX-1000 and if something really needs to be cleared up then I will go to my Drake R7A. The -20 dB attenuator really is needed, I have an external step attenuator and find that -13
to -16 dB works best with a wire length of 40 to 50 feet. In Europe it may need higher attenuation than here in North America.

I've been heavy into NDB hunting recently and I've been comparing my best longwave receivers for ability to pull in daytime NDBs using the tunable Palstar LA30 amplifier (+15 dB) with a homemade ferrite antenna of much higher sensitivity than the original Palstar LW loopstick. The DX-1000 is an even match here against the wonderful Lowe HF-225 Europa, as far as being able to hear the signal (both receivers in CW mode). If I think one is grabbing the signal better than the other I just slightly retune the antenna unit and it comes on just as well as the other receiver (I pair the two receivers to the same antenna with an RF Systems SP-2 splitter, a highly recommended unit). The Palstar LA30 has much more precise tuning compared to the old Palomar version, something I gladly trade the extra signal amplification for.

The Lowe has the added benefit of a 200 herz audio filter centered on 800 herz in CW mode with a very useful tone tilt control. I put the audio out of the Lowe through a 31 channel graphic equalizer (boosting 1K highest and 800/1250 hz a bit) and into a stereo amp to a pair of Sony bookshelf speakers. The tone control of the Bearcat can also make quite a difference. Running the audio of the DX-1000 through a Datong FL-3 (which also supplies a notch filter) can help with pulling out the morse code of the NDBs. Even better is running the audio through a Grove SP-200 Sound Enhancer, which seems easier on the ears and has extra ways to shape the audio. I run the DX-1000 into the FL-3 then output that into the SP-200 which lets me decide to use either or both as needed.

Only the Kenwood R-300 has the raw sensitivity of these two for longwave of the receivers that I've come across, but it has very poor stock filters and tuning is analog, frequency readout is determined mainly by beacon ID. The Palstar R30A is good but not equal, the Drake R7A is good but surprisingly not equal using the same antenna (I've never tried any of the R8 series). Most others just don't have the ears on these low frequencies.

I can't agree with all the DX-1000's detractors except for using it on HF in AM mode. It's my main NDB hunter and lately I've been listening to North African broadcast stations on longwave (Algeria and Morocco) with it. It's just a fun receiver to operate.

KI4RHC Rating: 4/5 Jan 3, 2018 12:30 Send this review to a friend
Longwave Wonder!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just a follow up to my previous review (eHam doesn't seem to let you edit reviews anymore), as I've been heavy into NDB hunting recently I've been comparing my best longwave receivers for ability to pull in daytime NDBs using the tunable Palstar LA30 amplifier (+15 dB) with a homemade ferrite antenna of much higher sensitivity than the original Palstar LW
loopstick.
Only the Kenwood R-300 has the raw sensitivity of these two for longwave of receivers that I've come across, but it has very poor stock filters and tuning is analog, frequency readout is determined mainly by beacon ID. The Palstar R30A is good but not equal, the Drake R7A is good but surprisingly not equal using the same antenna (I've never tried any of the R8 series). Most others just don't have the ears on these low frequencies.
I can't agree with all the DX-1000's detractors. It's my main NDB hunter and just a fun receiver to operate.

KAGD8618 Rating: 2/5 Mar 31, 2012 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Got one, don't want to junk it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had to lose the handle and feet to fit into available space at my desk, now I can't find the pieces.
It's been sitting in a closet for approx. 20 years.
It lights up but but refuses to talk.
It's been to Bearcat service 2 or 3 times and now, of course, it's too old to service.
Worked OK with LW & dipole.
Used to get some great DX in the 80's.
Don't want to trash it, It's yours for the UPS/FedEx charge.
Ronlj@sbcglobal.net

MMAGHAKIAN Rating: 1/5 Jul 27, 2011 15:29 Send this review to a friend
one of the worst ever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned a couple hundred radios/receivers and the DX-1000 is one of the worst ever made. everything about it is aweful; cheap construction and parts, to horrible performance. I have tried several so I didn't just a get a bad one.
looks very impressive though.

ACARSNUT Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2008 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Nice backup receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got a used one at the shelby nc hamfest years ago for 75.00 and it worked great.kept it on 11.175 for military monitoring.And ham band use.very stable and sound fine .I no longer have this receiver it got hit by lightning.if you have one you want to sell let me know.Looking for one.

SWL377 Rating: 3/5 Jul 1, 2008 23:39 Send this review to a friend
a fun oddball HF rcvr  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like buttons, knobs, switches and lights. This rcvr has enough to be in a sci fi movie. Performance is so so, easily overloads but has a front panel attenuator. Quite a few birdies, but that's to be expected with synth sets of this vintage. I bought mine for $45 inop on eBay, but it was a very simple power supply fix. It has three selectable IF filters, keypad or rotary dial tuning, and can demod AM FM USB and LSB. It does a lot, none of it done exceptionally well, but still a lot of fun to spectrum surf with. I say buy one if you can get it cheap. My Radio Shack R 392 outperforms it, but the Bearcat looks so much better doing an inferior receiving job. My Sony 2010 blows the Bearcat away in performance, but not in looks. Best $45 receiver I ever bought.

ELJAY Rating: 3/5 Nov 6, 2007 07:52 Send this review to a friend
It ain't *that* bad...  Time owned: more than 12 months
The DX1000 really isn't as bad as its reputation might indicate. The problem is that it's an overbuilt tabletop that performs like a pretty good portable. If you're expecting tabletop behavior, keep looking. If you're content with the performance of a decent portable, and don't mind the size and weight, it's not at all bad.

I'd compare the performance to my Magnavox (Philips) D2935, a pretty good older portable:

1. Similar audio characteristics. The D2935 is a bit bassy and a tad wooly. The DX1000 is a bit clearer but not tinny. Both have simple tone knobs that are effective for toning down hiss and crackle without rendering voices unintelligible.

2. Comparable selectivity and sensitivity. The D2935 is somewhat more resistant to overloading. The DX1000 benefits from a good antenna and ground.

3. Both are ridiculously sturdy. The D2935 could be swung around and used as a defensive weapon and probably keep on working. The DX1000 is almost too heavy to swing around.

4. Both use D cell batteries. How many currently available radios use 'em? They'd rather use a dozen AA batteries than three or four D cells. And both use the same type of 12 volt adapter.

5. Both have quirky ergonomics. The D2935's membrane covered keypad sometimes defies easy operation. The DX1000 keys are so stiff you won't need to worry about your toddler messing with 'em. OTOH, if you have arthritic hands, you'll have trouble using the keypad. It's nice to have a programmable stepper, but mashing down the little sharp edged metal button gets tiresome pretty quickly. Use a ball peen hammer.

6. Both have nice tuning wheels with variable speeds. Judging from the complaints some folks have about tuning wheels on modern tabletops it appears the manufacturers could take a lesson from the DX1000.

7. Both have a funky look of their respective eras. The D2935 seems to have taken design cues from some really ugly European handbags; the DX1000, not surprisingly considering the Uniden/Bearcat heritage, resembles a CB radio base unit. This is not your generic black box receiver.

Hey, it even has an analog signal strength meter. So what if it can't read over S3 without overloading? (A slight exaggeration - it'll handle +20 or more without overloading from stations with very clean, clear signals. Unfortunately that seems to apply only to religious programming and seldom to news broadcasts from BBC, Russia, Sweden, etc., tho' China and Taiwan signals are pretty good.)

I've solved one serious irritation, that of the annoyingly loud beep that accompanies every button push, by running the audio through a Radio Shack DSP/amplifier and nice little Optimus speaker. By turning the amplifier down to around 3 and controlling the main volume from the receiver itself, the beep is barely audible while the programming volume remains clear. There doesn't appear to be any option for turning off the beep and if I could find the right wire to snip I'd fix it permanently.

Speaking of wire snipping, one look inside the box will make you appreciate miniaturization. The only circuit board I've seen that was uglier is in my ancient Westinghouse Cap d' Antibe, which appears to be a nerd's high school science project on the inside and his girlfriend's leathercrafts project on the outside. When I bought this DX1000 from a pawn shop it had as many old spider nests inside as it did capacitors and resistors, and lemme tell ya, that's a bunch.

If you pay $25-$50 for a DX1000, you'll probably be thrilled. At that price it's a funky toy you'll be proud to bore your friends with. Pay much more, tho', and you'll write blistering hate comments on forums like this.

KI4WCA Rating: 4/5 Jun 22, 2007 12:47 Send this review to a friend
good starter but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Paid 265 for mine in the eighties.It has poor IMD performance so I built a 4 band preselector for it.Displays only to the 1kc,but tunes in 100hz steps and has a nice fine tune knob for zerobeating.FM works at all frequencys it covers so with an external lf amp and an fm radio can listen to fm subcarrier content.Good for SSB.Clear, not audiophile audio.Micro locks up with any ESD, requiring reset(easy).When I got my Drake R8A I was very dissapointed when It was not 800 dollars worth of better.Not a bad rig.Does not deserve its bad reputation,except it has overload and IMD trouble without a good preselector.

W1TUJ Rating: 4/5 Sep 1, 2006 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Good design for it's time, well built.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Once one understands how the program functions work this radio is fun to use. I found the audio clear & crisp. The 2.7 KHZ filter provides nice sounding sideband but it is a bit wide for the more serious operator. The 6 KHZ filter is great for AM, audio quality is good with reasonable highs and lows for AM. I didn't tune in any NBFM. CW is interesting audio filtering is added which improves selectivity significantly (I hadn't noted that audio filtering was used in the documentation).
My receiver was in excellent shape, didn't have any modifications (that I could see) and appears to be up to specifications (I didn't attempt to realign it). Sensitivity is good, on par with my Yaesu rcvr, but the front end has too much gain resulting in some cross modulation and overload on local broadcast stations. Using the attenuator eliminates this problem in most cases. A selective tuner would also help.

VR2XMQ Rating: 3/5 May 8, 2004 00:57 Send this review to a friend
Average  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
These can be found from time to time on ebay and elsewhere, mine was in almost prestine condition and around US$120.00.

The cosmetics look really impressive but do not be mis-lead. The performance can only be given an average and only after I had given it a good going over on the test bench and realigning it, tweaking it back up to optimum performance. It is however prone to overload if there are strong adjacent channel stations.

However it does have it's appeal. This is for me a holiday rig, albeit a bit big. It can be run off 8 large D cells or 12V dc.

It may be on the over sensitive side and hence I have used just a simple telescopic antenna that has a PL259 right angle plug mated.

The audio is very average and nothing to rave about, those of you who are techs may wish to change some of the capictor values in the audio chain which have helped bring it up to deliver better audion. A radio you can fiddle about and modify.

If using outdoor antenna, the use of a passive preselector will greatly help, do not use an active antenna or a preselector that is active!

This is a very very early micro-processor design and hence the computer key in logic is a bit hit and miss, but you must forgive the designer as this was already quite radical in it's day!

The heart was in the right place but unfortunately not enough attention was paid to the incoming RF sections, a high first IF of 40.445MHz and second IF of 455KHz attempting to keep it out of harms way.

Measured stability is now about +/- 110 HZ at 26deg. C. room temp. after one hour's warm up.

The intersting feature of this vintage set is that it has seperate filtering - 2.7KHz, 6KHz and 12KHz for FM. 2.7KHz being right for SSB. It has agc select and noise blanker to select. A Digital readout and S meter, fine tuning, squelch,clocks, RF att, AF gain, dimmer, tone control, headphone jack, Step tunning rate and loads of indication LED's

There is a tilt bail which acts as a handle for transportation. Modes offered are AM, USB, LSB,
CW, and FM.

Covergage is from 10KHz to 30MHz. Size is 370 x 130 x 240mm and weight is a 8 kg.

it's performance is not something to rave about, but with the telescopic antenna, it is sufficient as a weekend hideway receiver and if you can get one at the price I did and tweak it up, don't complain! Don't have too many $1,000.00 radio expectations because you will never get that level performance.