Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Hustler Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Hustler Vertical
Hustler Vertical Reviews: 77 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: 80-10 meter mobile coils for hustler mast.r
More info: http://www.new-tronics.com/main/index.html

You can write your own review of the Hustler Vertical.

KE4LJH Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2016 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Hustler HF Tri-Band 17M, 20M, 40M, 6M  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the Hustler mobile tri-band vertical antenna system with resonators for 17m, 20m and 40m four years ago with the 54" riser that adds 6 meters. Mounted to a steel plate welded to the rear bumper of an F150 protruding about 5 inches on the drivers side of the bumper. Used a multimeter in ohms mode, to determine WHEN I had good ground potential. That number is 0.7 ohms or less from the pl-259 connector at the back of the radio to a ground location in the vehicle. Knowing how to use a multimeter to check ground potential and know when one obtains a good ground pays BIG dividends. POW. What a signal. I am ruitinely informed that I have the best signal on the band while mobile. Service is excellent. In four years I have not had one problem and the signal is still WOW. I am almost always asked how much power am I using because the signal is fantastic when you are able to determine good ground potential with a multimeter. Coat the "C" plate that contacts the vehicle and the center conductor attachment point at the base of the antenna and the ground lug for the outer braid with "NO-OX". This is electrically conductive and prevents rust and corrosion. Put a big glob of clear silicone on the center conductor attachment point after installation is completed and the ground potential is checked and is 0.7 ohms or less with a multimeter to seal it from the elements. Paint all other exposed metal at the base with clear krylon paint or a color of your choosing.

Inexpensive, low maintainance, trouble free, high performance well made. Truly a quality antenna system.

I would buy a hustler again except I don't need to. The one I have is still performing at peak performance after four years in south Florida in a salt water corrosive environment. I will buy a 75m, 15m and 10m resonators for other band options.

Good ground potential is paramount! That number is 0.7 ohms or less from the PL-259 connector at the back of the radio to a ground point inside the vehicle. Disconnect the PL-259 from the radio before checking with the multimeter.

Did you know there is a place called Hooker, Oklahoma. It's not an occupation, just the place your in.

Have fun with all your grounding needs for mobile antenna installations. Get a Hustler.

N5RL Rating: 4/5 Sep 19, 2016 22:09 Send this review to a friend
Hustler 22 inch Mast and resonators  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've been using the Hustler 22 inch mast and resonators (75 - 10 meters) with a diamond K400 hatchback mount on the back of my Dodge sport van. My first experience with this system goes back to 1971, when I had a Swan 350C in the front of my 63 Chevy impala with me. I've had good results with this combination now running a barefoot FT100D at 100W or less. All of the system is above roof level and I use 12 feet of RG-316 cable which is easy to run. I've heard folks complaining of using this small cable and worrying about "too much" loss but the loss is miniscule, .5 db at 30 Mhz with 12 feet hooked to your rig. A figure that is nearly meaningless really on HF. The only way I could have a better mobile signal is with a bigger antenna (ie. bug catcher or screwdriver with larger coil) and we all know bigger is always better, especially for mobile installations for 40 or 80 meters. Resonator BW is narrow on 80 meters (less than 20 KHz), about 50 KHz on 40, but you can cover the whole band on 17 meters, 100 kHz on 20, and at least 500 kHz on 10 with a decent SWR. Its a reasonable mobile antenna at minimal cost that can be acquired band by band as you can afford it. Ham sticks are cheaper and work well but are also physically longer, too long for the top of my van at least while I am moving. I have two of those, one for 20 and one for 17 meters. My rating of good reflects what you can expect from this simple mobile setup. Great would be much more expensive and larger, but this works for me.

K6BBB Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2015 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Updated: Very Pleased With the Antenna System  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Further testing and actual use has caused me to re-write my previous review.

I have the MO-2 foldover mast and 10, 60 and 80 meter standard resonators to choose from. I'm happy to report one RM-60 is the only one I need for 60, 20, 15 and 10.

The RM-60 gives me a 1.3:1 SWR or less on 60, 20, 15 and 10 meters. It DOESN'T work on 40 or 12 meters and further testing is needed on 17 meters. I'm running my barefoot IC-718 through an LDG Z100+ tuner and no capacity hats were needed. The RM-60 performs so well I probably only need a 40m resonator to finish things out.

I would have given a 4.8 rating because of the short Allen screws. The insides round out too easily and I replace them with longer screws as I need to.

I'm also using the MO-3 masts and RM-60 resonators with their DPK-1 dipole kit at the house. SWRs are slightly better on all of the above bands. I've had good DX contacts with Japan, Guam, Chile, and Argentina.

KB1QYH Rating: 2/5 Feb 2, 2014 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Don't believe the good reviews!  Time owned: more than 12 months
N4GG is correct, and I share the exact same thoughts! I have the 20m super resonator, and yes, it does have below 2.0 swr across the entire general portion of the band. This is great- no tuner required. However- the Loading coil gets VERY hot at 100 watts. Signal reports are TERRIBLE. A ham stick with a tuner works MUCH better. A minor nuisance pressing the tune button while mobile, but the signal reports are well worth it! Avoid the Huster 20m super resonator! It's not good.

WD5FUN Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2013 07:28 Send this review to a friend
I always come back to the Hustler  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have tried just about every kind of mobile antenna system and find that none of them work as well as my Hustler. I have resonators for 75 thru 6 meters and have used all at one time or another. Certainly they are compromise antennas but just work better than anything else. My wife gave me a set of them 35 years ago and they are still going strong.

AI4SU Rating: 4/5 May 21, 2013 18:03 Send this review to a friend
WILL GET THE JOB DONE  Time owned: more than 12 months
I run hf mobile, 2005 chevy impala with truck mount drilled into trunk; trunk is grounded using grounding strap. I use 40-6 meter resonators with long shaft.I use 80 pound fishing line to guy the antenna so it won't bend. The RX/TX is decent enough for long dx qso's as I drive from city to city. I always get good signal reports and can work just about anyone I can hear..

NN1F Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2013 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Best after several antenna tries  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought a Icom 7000 to put in the car to get some HF while traveling for work. I have the antenna mounted on my roof rack on the station wagon. Not using a tuner. In the past several months I have been logging many DX and stateside stations from the car while traveling around town and around the state of NH. Today I got Vancouver BC with a 51 and he was a 55 report. Most of my contacts have been DX into Europe and the ceribbian and South America. I have been using the 15 meter and 10 meter mostly but have used the 20 and 40 meter antennas as well with the same results. On 40, I have been checking into the ECARS net on 7.255 with no problems. This antenna setup works very nicely for me /M.
I have used hamstick antennas with not as much luck on any of the bands I am on with the Hustler.
Aron
NN1F

W5WSS Rating: 4/5 Mar 3, 2012 22:48 Send this review to a friend
Good mobile antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I drilled the holes through the roof located top dead center. I consider the antenna to be working properly as intended and am very satisfied. I would be very surprised if any other loaded mobile antenna could produce more feild strength to produce incresed signal strength on an S-meter when properly compared. I do not believe screwdriver types would at all.

KF5KOI Rating: 1/5 Oct 16, 2011 17:32 Send this review to a friend
Intermittened Swr  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased the RM-40S with short mast to use as a mobile on a F-250 truck. Good antenna on receive but on transmit swr is not repeatable from one transmission to the next and forget going mobile with it. I am using a whip or hamstick for other bands without any issues so guess it is time to replace the Hustler with something that is reliable.

N3AWS Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2011 07:40 Send this review to a friend
Inexpensive & effective  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used these antennas on 20, 15, and 40 in GA, FL QSO Parties and Field Day with good results since 2003. By far, most of my QSO's were on 20 meters, followed by 15 and lastly 40. I operate QRP SSB mostly and have been pleased with performance. I do not trust the 40 meter resonator for operation in motion, however. I did have one time the 20 meter antenna folded when operating at highway speed, but that was my fault for not having it tight enough. If all goes according to plan, I will be using them this weekend for the FL QSO Party 2011. Look for my mobile on 20 SSB to hear them on the air!

73, Jim N3AWS