Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Hustler Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Hustler Vertical
Hustler Vertical Reviews: 74 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: 80-10 meter mobile coils for hustler mast.r
More info: http://www.new-tronics.com/main/index.html

You can write your own review of the Hustler Vertical.

KB1QYH Rating: 2/5 Feb 2, 2014 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Don't believe the good reviews!  Time owned: more than 12 months
N4GG is correct, and I share the exact same thoughts! I have the 20m super resonator, and yes, it does have below 2.0 swr across the entire general portion of the band. This is great- no tuner required. However- the Loading coil gets VERY hot at 100 watts. Signal reports are TERRIBLE. A ham stick with a tuner works MUCH better. A minor nuisance pressing the tune button while mobile, but the signal reports are well worth it! Avoid the Huster 20m super resonator! It's not good.

WD5FUN Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2013 07:28 Send this review to a friend
I always come back to the Hustler  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have tried just about every kind of mobile antenna system and find that none of them work as well as my Hustler. I have resonators for 75 thru 6 meters and have used all at one time or another. Certainly they are compromise antennas but just work better than anything else. My wife gave me a set of them 35 years ago and they are still going strong.

AI4SU Rating: 4/5 May 21, 2013 18:03 Send this review to a friend
WILL GET THE JOB DONE  Time owned: more than 12 months
I run hf mobile, 2005 chevy impala with truck mount drilled into trunk; trunk is grounded using grounding strap. I use 40-6 meter resonators with long shaft.I use 80 pound fishing line to guy the antenna so it won't bend. The RX/TX is decent enough for long dx qso's as I drive from city to city. I always get good signal reports and can work just about anyone I can hear..

NN1F Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2013 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Best after several antenna tries  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought a Icom 7000 to put in the car to get some HF while traveling for work. I have the antenna mounted on my roof rack on the station wagon. Not using a tuner. In the past several months I have been logging many DX and stateside stations from the car while traveling around town and around the state of NH. Today I got Vancouver BC with a 51 and he was a 55 report. Most of my contacts have been DX into Europe and the ceribbian and South America. I have been using the 15 meter and 10 meter mostly but have used the 20 and 40 meter antennas as well with the same results. On 40, I have been checking into the ECARS net on 7.255 with no problems. This antenna setup works very nicely for me /M.
I have used hamstick antennas with not as much luck on any of the bands I am on with the Hustler.
Aron
NN1F

W5WSS Rating: 4/5 Mar 3, 2012 22:48 Send this review to a friend
Good mobile antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I drilled the holes through the roof located top dead center. I consider the antenna to be working properly as intended and am very satisfied. I would be very surprised if any other loaded mobile antenna could produce more feild strength to produce incresed signal strength on an S-meter when properly compared. I do not believe screwdriver types would at all.

KF5KOI Rating: 1/5 Oct 16, 2011 17:32 Send this review to a friend
Intermittened Swr  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased the RM-40S with short mast to use as a mobile on a F-250 truck. Good antenna on receive but on transmit swr is not repeatable from one transmission to the next and forget going mobile with it. I am using a whip or hamstick for other bands without any issues so guess it is time to replace the Hustler with something that is reliable.

N3AWS Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2011 07:40 Send this review to a friend
Inexpensive & effective  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used these antennas on 20, 15, and 40 in GA, FL QSO Parties and Field Day with good results since 2003. By far, most of my QSO's were on 20 meters, followed by 15 and lastly 40. I operate QRP SSB mostly and have been pleased with performance. I do not trust the 40 meter resonator for operation in motion, however. I did have one time the 20 meter antenna folded when operating at highway speed, but that was my fault for not having it tight enough. If all goes according to plan, I will be using them this weekend for the FL QSO Party 2011. Look for my mobile on 20 SSB to hear them on the air!

73, Jim N3AWS

N5XTR Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2010 12:49 Send this review to a friend
New and Old Setup, Both Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was given an old setup of standard resonators (10,15,20,40,75m) and mast with center fold over. This setup was given to me by a ham who got them at a hamfest in 1973. They worked great for 2 years but previous repairs to the mast were wearing down. I bought a new mast with a lowered fold over, and Super resonators for 20, 40, 80m. I didn't see a big difference in the construction. Of course the resonators are bigger, the whip clutch was changed to set screws, the mast was the same construction.
The performance of these antennas are superb. Just look at the mobile antenna comparison in the November 2007 QST.
I even used the old setup QRPp and got 539 -> 589 reports on CW on 1 watt.
These antennas work Great.

VE7REN Rating: 2/5 Feb 11, 2010 05:18 Send this review to a friend
alright when they work  Time owned: more than 12 months
have had this setup of 80/40/10/17 for 4 years. work fair. water and weather really change this antennas swr,and performance. varies dayly a few kc.cheap set scews to hold whip in place.the water runs down the whip into the coil. i put silicone around the entry point on the coil,and still moisture goti n and created corrosion and grime,preventing good contact.for the money..........i guess they are a good starter mobile antenna . but i will never buy another.will be looking for something else now

N4DBM Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2010 04:36 Send this review to a friend
Great Antennas!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own and operate the "super" resonators (higher power, more bandwidth) on 20 and 40 meters, and the standard resonator for 60 meters. They work well and seem to be constructed well. I am using a short mast (MO-4) and got all three bands to match up fine with the short mast. The bandwidth is what it claims. The match is pretty good, and the performance is what to be expected with a loaded whip. I am using the tri-band adapter, running 3 bands on the same mast and the performance is still excellent. I'd recommend these to anyone who doesn't mind having larger antennas on a vehicle. I have seriously enjoyed HF mobile with these antennas and for the price, you can't beat it.