Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Hustler Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Hustler Vertical
Hustler Vertical Reviews: 74 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: 80-10 meter mobile coils for hustler mast.r
More info: http://www.new-tronics.com/main/index.html

You can write your own review of the Hustler Vertical.

AC4RD Rating: 4/5 Aug 1, 2009 10:33 Send this review to a friend
No complaints so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used to work HF mobile from a big sedan with Hamsticks on a trunk-lid mount. I wanted to get active again from the car but now I'm driving a tiny econobox and park at work in a garage with only 8' of clearance. My old Hamsticks would not fit.

The last couple of weeks I've been using Hustler RM-17 and RM-20 resonators on the 36" mast sold by DX Engineering. Mounted at bumper level, this setup is just short enough to fit in my garage at work.

I've actually been a bit surprised at how well this setup is working. With ordinary band conditions and noise, if I hear someone at S5 or better, I can generally work him. Occasionally I can do much better. The reports I get are usually 3-4 S units down from the ones I give--if someone's S7 (5 by 7) in my car, he's likely to give me a 53 or 54.

I've only had them a couple of weeks, so I don't know how they'll hold up. But I've been pleased with the Hustlers so far: good performance considering the compromises in size and mounting location, and a good price. I'm also pleased with the DXEng mast--very nice workmanship, and their customer support is great.

KD5XB Rating: 1/5 May 8, 2009 16:27 Send this review to a friend
So long, old friend...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used Hustler antennas since the '70's, on CB and later in the ham bands. The older stuff was GREAT, it was built like a tank, and just WORKED. The later stuff has been going downhill, and just today I started working with two new resonators, an RM20 and an RM17. I AM SHOCKED that they have been cheapened so much -- they no longer have that bulletproof clutch device, now they use two set screws to hold the tip rod in place, and overall they just look cheap. I'll use these until they fail -- probably in 6 months or less -- and then I'm going to have to go looking for something else.

So long, old friend...

AB7FS Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2009 00:36 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Back in the 1970's I used a Hustler mounted on the rear deck of my Impala for many years - mostly on 20 metres - and occasionally on 80 metres.

At the time I lived in the Yukon Territory and frequently drove between Haines Junction and Whitehorse. My late night trips were spent chatting on the radio - it was common to work Europe and the South Pacific on the same night. The 'rare' contacts included Kure Island and Fernando de Norona. Not sure how many contacts logged (yes I did log them) but it was certainly in the thousands :-)

Now I'm installing a Yaesu FT857D in the car (after my summer trip -- six weeks in E51 :-) and I'm looking at mobile antennas again. The Hustler STILL looks good - of course - with a solid state rig I may need a tuner - can't load it up like the old Yaesu FT101 :-).

WD0BC Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2009 09:20 Send this review to a friend
HUSTLERS bring project together!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Retirement project comes together with Hustlers.

Recently retired I traded for an old ICOM IC-725. After repairs I installed it in my 98 Ford Ranger pickup.

I had used Hustlers years ago for a short time on HF mobile but no real test. I was not able to leave the rig in the vehicle.

Two months ago I started investigating again installing the ICOM in my vehicle.

I was talking about my mobile plans on the local repeater and was GIVEN a Hustler setup.

I received a long fiberglass mast with quick disconnect and an 80, 40, 20, 15 and 10 meter resonator.

I installed a "Christmastree" tri-mount and put on the 80, 40 and 20 resonators. The unit was mounted on a trailer ball mount. I tuned the stubs in the center of the ham bands for each band using my MFJ 249 and stuck my LDG R-11 tuner in the line.

I have worked 15 countries in three weeks. I seem to talk to anyone I call. I am sure that the "mobile" on the end of my call helps but these "antiques" work to the hilt.

I sure am glad I came across these. I do not think that the Ham-sticks would have been as good and certainly could not work different bands without a lot of changing around.

HUSTLERS ROCK!

Sometimes the "OLD" established stuff beats NEW stuff hands down.

The ONLY thing that I would consider trading these for is the "TARHEEL", but would have to think long and hard.

I rate them 5 of 5 in my log.

NOW for mobile CW and the 5 speed stick shift! OH MY!

WD0BC

KD3JF Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2009 02:55 Send this review to a friend
Worked DX  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the Hustler with the Super Resonators for many years. I use the 20 meter resonator most of the time and have worked European DX from Maryland. Installation is important. I have a van and use a 2 ft mast into the trailer hitch hole and then screw in the Hustler mast and resonator.

In the 80s I ran 2 hustlers on the rear of a station wagon. One time I had report of 20 over 9 for 150 miles and worked the other station from Indiana back to Michigan. The advantage over the screwdriver antennas is that the super resonator has its wire turns wide spaced. You will not have hot coils if you use the Super Resonator

N4GG Rating: 2/5 Nov 2, 2008 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Over-Rated  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Amazed at all the good ratings. Got my first chance to try the Hustler resonators for 40 and 20 on a balcony QTH with good radials. Got the SWR adjusted fine and got lots of crummy signal reports. Then I started feeling the resonators. They both run nice and hot at 100W. LOTS of wasted energy. A good loading coil won't even be warm - should dissipate less than 5% of the energy applied. If you like the reports you get with a Hustler - you will love something decent.

N9IVQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2008 08:13 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna System  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Hustler RM series antenna mounted on a Ford Ranger for 4 years and been using these antennas for 20 years. I use the VP-1 adapter and have 4 resonators attached 3 canted and 1 center. RM10, RM20, RM40, and RM75. I use the MO3 mast. (The MO3 gives you 6 meters) so the antena covers 6, 10, 20, 40, and 75 meters. I cover the enitre general class voice segment on all bands except 75, and this is 40 Khz wide.. Antenna tunner takes care of that problem. Aside from the wierd looks I get, I am pleased with the antenna. Does it perform as well as a dipole, no. But then again its hard to get a dipole to go mobile. I have worked all over the US on all bands and have no complaints with the antenna except... Will someone please make a "REAL" heavy duty ball mount! Like the old MOTOROLA ball mount from the 1960's. The SSM1 is simply to light weight. With 4 resonators you do need to guy the thing. It is heavy! Since I have mine bumber mounted, I just have an insulated metal arm that is bolted to the truck's bed walls (near the top of the bed half way up the mast) and wire tied to the MO3 mast stabalizes the antenns. A bit of rubber between mast and mount insulates the two. It works great. As far as quality of build.. My daughter barrowed my truck and ran the thing through an underground parking garage. Though bent all to hell, everything still worked. 15 minutes and a vise and the MO3 looked like new again. Had to tighten the screw mount sleeve (where it crimps to the RM75 body, becuase the crimp they use came loose from the beating, 1-hammer, 1 vise, RM75 tight again. If this thing every dies, I will be getting a new one. I am very happy with the antenna. Performance? I have no complaints. As far as the funny looks go, just tell them you're a storm chaser, that seems to make them happy!

K7BEX Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2008 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Three in One  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using the tri-band VP-1 adaptor with the 15, 20 and 40 meter resonators attached. They were easy to tune and work remarkably well. I have them mounted on the upper side of my motorhome just above the transceiver location. They are on a SSM-2 stainless mount with a MO-1 54" mast. I do remove them from the mount while traveling. This is a very inexpensive solution to my needs. I have worked many states from the east coast to Hawaii in the couple months I have owned them.

N5UV Rating: 4/5 May 26, 2008 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Still a good ant. for the price you pay....but  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently went over to the TX Bugcatcher that K5BUG makes on his own...even went out to Caddo Mills, TX to meet him in person to get the antenna, and a 2nd. time to troubleshoot it. Once you get the thing going, it is hands-down the best mobile antenna you'll ever own...

But even then, I'm still going to continue to use the Hustler ant. for 10/15/20m...it's a good, all-weather mobile ant., fairly broadbanded, and very durable. It has gotten me through 2 OQP and 2 TQP contests, so it definitely pulls it's own weight.

I will say though that knowing what I know now, I will be making some mods...the plan is to add an inductance-match coil between the ground and center-lead terminals to get a better impedance match. And I need to strip off some paint where the ant. is located to make a proper ground. One thing I have noticed (on the Bugcatcher) is that once I get a REAL ground, the antenna is much more efficient, has a higher Q, and a lot of my RFI ignition noise goes away...again, all projects in the future to keep the Hustler going as a day-to-day or back-up antenna.

If you are just getting started and only have $100 to work with, then this is the way to go.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2008 18:02 Send this review to a friend
VERY GOOD CHOICE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use the Hustlers on the 22 inch mast one at a time on my 2007 DODGE Quad Cab with a bed stake mount & they work GREAT.Along with the ICOM 7000,LDG AT-7000,& the Hustler antennas I think my mobile setup is a WINNER!Great job Hustler! }:>)

Clayton