Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | TennaTronix TurboTuner-2 Help

Reviews Summary for TennaTronix TurboTuner-2
TennaTronix TurboTuner-2 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $319.00
Description: Auto tuner for screwdriver antennas
More info: http://www.tennatronix.com/

You can write your own review of the TennaTronix TurboTuner-2.

W4EG Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2017 12:54 Send this review to a friend
Although not a N2VZ tuner but many similarities  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I communicated with the owner of the "Turbo Tuner-2" regarding the N2VZ turbo tuner which is no longer available.
My need was to integrate it with an Icom-7100. He advised me that the only thing I had to do was to make sure Switch 1 switches were all set to the "OFF" position to work with that particular radio (IC-7100.) The CI-V plug does not need to be connected to IC-7100 connector.
I am using it with the Little Tarheel-2 screwdriver antenna. Performance is good on all bands. Thanks to the owner making the Turbo Tuner-2.

VK6FIOR Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2017 20:41 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Was a little apprehensive due to the cost buying it and having it sent to VK6 but bit the bullet and I'm so glad I did. Already had the Yaesu FT 857 and Little Tarheel in the car so this proved to be a plug and play process that took less than 10 minutes to set up. It tuned from 10m all the way down to 80m and everywhere in between without an ounce of fuss. Love the option I now have tuning the antenna while I'm driving. Can absolutely recommend this brilliant tuner.

K0BAK Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2015 18:38 Send this review to a friend
Great product, changed my operations  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Have a Tarheel 200 antenna on a minvan trailer hitch. FWIW, also use a 500w mobile amplifier. Previously used a semi-automatic Ameritron controller that read frequency from my ICOM radio and did an OK job making automated coarse adjustments based on frequency and band edge screwdriver settings. Since I use the antenna mobile in contests, I wanted a fully automatic tuner and took a chance on the ICOM version of the TurboTuner2. (Note that since I already had the antenna and connections, I already went through all the basic debugging of the screwdriver like grounding and matching coil adjustments; and had used the antenna in contests for almost a year.)

The TurboTuner2 connects to my IC-7100 radio using both the 4-pin AH-4 autotuner interface, and the CI-V interface using a 3.5mm audio-like mono plug. The big advantage of this connection is that you don't have to use the coax connections on the TurboTuner; the radio measures the SWR instead of the TurboTuner. To perform tuning, you merely press the tune button the ICOM, and the TurboTuner does it's thing, commanding the radio to switch to FM and transmit carrier with low power while the TurboTuner tunes the screwdriver.

Previously, I would have to make fine tuning adjustments using a separate remote SWR meter, but when the TurboTuner indicates successful tuning (with Morse code beeps), it presents a very reliable low SWR. This has changed the way I operate mobile in state QSO parties, allowing me to more rapidly get a new contact without a bunch of time-wasting fussing. This unit is expensive, but for me it was worth the price and I'm pleased with it's operation.

The TurboTuner isn't perfect. About 5% of the time it gets confused and I have to interrupt the tuning and power cycle the radio, which may leave the radio in the low power FM setting when it turns back on. I haven't used the unit enough yet to correlate any consistent reason for this or a way to avoid it. I'm still giving it a "5" because of how useful it has been for me otherwise.

VA3MW Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2015 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have an older N2VZ Turbo Tuner that I had used for years with my FT857 and my screwdriver antennas.
When I bought a new IC7100, I contacted Giga Parts about doing an upgrade of my older controller. They quoted me a very fair price and I mailed it to them from Canada.

About 3 weeks later, I got it back upgraded to V7 from V4 of the code with detailed instructions on how to configure it for the IC7100. Connected to my Little Tarheel, it works wonderfully, if not better. The TT2 now uses the SWR readings from the radio (and not the TT2).

If you are installing one, make sure you choke (mix 31 or 43 material) the feedlines from the antenna to the radio and the control cables. Once you do this, it will work flawlessly. Don't skip this step as you'l be sorry and have no end of frustration.

I highly recommend the TT2 as it does 'just work'. The service is amazing as well.

NR3O Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2014 07:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mobile tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently moved into mobile HF and soon experienced the "rocker switch blues" while tuning my new Tarheel II. While many would say that manual tuning isn't that difficult (and it isn't), I wanted something that would make SURE I protected my radio from high SWR and allowed me to keep my attention on the road while operating - the TurboTuner-2 does exactly that. Installation was 100% plug and play with my Tarheel and Icom 7100. Power comes from the radio. Power-up, reaching the tuned position, and other status information are indicated by audible morse code signals. With a press of the radio's tune button it automatically seeks the lowest SWR and tells you when it's done. Had it lose it's position once and was corrected with a power-off and re-tune. Would be nice if it had a turns indicator for status, but doing so would make installation more involved. So far very pleased with it!