Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | Beko HLV-1000 amplifier Help

Reviews Summary for Beko HLV-1000 amplifier
Beko HLV-1000 amplifier Reviews: 13 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $£2100
Description: 2m LDMOS 1000w amplifier with integral mains power supply
More info: http://www.beko-elektronik.de/index.php?do=hlv1000

You can write your own review of the Beko HLV-1000 amplifier.

N5XO Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2017 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Amps fantastic customer service from Gerry SSB USA  Time owned: more than 12 months
I error on the side of caution when it comes to giving my recommendation on a product or a company. I am coming up on my 2nd year of owning several BEKO Amplifiers now and can not give them or Gerry of SSB USA higher reviews.

I have been a VHF/UHF Weak Signal fanatic for some years now, and ran Henry amps for 6, 2, 1.25 and 70cm. While the Henry amps are BRUTES, they also generate incredible AMOUNTS OF HEAT AND NOISE.

Late 2015, I decided it was time to start upgrading the shack and moving to solid state amps, while I went with Alpha for 6 meters, I started looking at multiple other solutions for 2 meters and up. If you look at my shack, you will understand that cosmetics are vital to me as is performance. I talked to several manufactures, and then reached out to Gerry at SSB USA. We had over a hour long conversation and went into some very detailed discussion on the amps, what I needed, etc. I was impressed by his high level of knowledge and his effort to insure that I was getting exactly what I wanted but also needed.

When we finished our conversation I placed an order right away for three Beko Amps all putting out a very solid 1KW for 2 meters, 1.25 meters and 70cm with plans to add the 850 watt 23cm amp this coming spring.

These amps are truly professional quality amps, extremely clean signal, runs at 1KW for hours during our weekly net and morning round tables. I could not be happier with my purchase choice or the company I choose to purchase from.

With Gerry's support before, during and after the sale...I've continued to do business with him for mast mounted Pre-amps, and transverters.

Beko is not cheap, but it will be the last amplifier you will need to purchase, I have been using for just under 2 years now, and even after making several bone headed mistakes like leaving the drive power up, the fail safe circuits protected me from a very expensive repair, they never fail to deliver full power and they do so with out the generation of heat and noise.

I can not recommend the BEKO Series of Amps higher or Gerry and his support.

W0AAT Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2016 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Great amp!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Ordered from SSB like many others here. Great email response(and I got the match preamp, first one in the USA) as we bounced stuff back and forth on power level setup etc. It has ran many meteor scatter contact flawlessly along with the June VHF contest where is saw heavy use running full power. Also have it on EME where it runs cool and quiet!

So far it has self protected from my idiot mistakes like hitting it with 50 watts FM, forgetting the antenna was disconnected after a storm...

The matching preamp has also been a great little item. .5dbnf, plenty of gain to overcome feedline loss, powered via the coax so fewer wires up the tower to deal with during storms...

W5FH Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2016 09:36 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased with Amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the opportunity to use an HLV-1000 for about 2 weeks. This amplifier was a newly purchased unit that belonged to a friend of mine. My friend, whom is a long time customer of, purchased the amplifier from Gerry at SSB Electronics (Mountaintop, PA). I do weak signal and tropo work on 144 Mhz and really enjoyed the convenience and performance of this amplifier. I like the built in sequencing and the remote preamp control features. This amplifier has nice quality coaxial relays built in that don't introduce loss during bypass or receive conditions. The protection circuits are good. I was impressed by the efficiency of amplifier when comparing 240 VAC draw versus power output. I will be the first to admit these amplifiers are expensive. However, consider that this piece of equipment is compact and light enough you can tuck it under your arm and carry it, that it takes up minimal room in your shack, that it sits there quietly and produces 1.0 KW of clean RF displaying it on a built-in wattmeter, plus it has well thought out sequencing and control/protection circuits that integrate well into your station. This amplifier can really spoil you! I have purchased a number of items from Gerry at SSB Electronics myself and am very pleased with how I was treated and the level of service he gives.

W5FH Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2016 21:51 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased with amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the opportunity to use an HLV-1000 for about 2 weeks. This amplifier was a newly purchased unit that belonged to a friend of mine. I do weak signal and tropo work on 144 Mhz and really enjoyed the convenience and performance of this amplifier. I like the built in sequencing and the remote preamp control features. This amplifier has nice quality coaxial relays built in that don't introduce loss during bypass or receive conditions. The protection circuits are good.I was impressed by the efficiency of amplifier when comparing 240 VAC draw versus power output. This amplifier can really spoil you!

KC2GOW Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2016 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Great amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After about a month or so having this amp I have been very pleased with it so far. Have even used it to make a few EME contacts already. It runs very cool considering the power output and the fans are extremely quiet. I have it sitting on the desk and it's barely noticeable when running... If you're looking for a high power VHF amplifier then this is the one! Worth every penny and no tubes!!! 17watts of drive making 1kw out with ease...

As a side not and only because they made ordering the amp a breeze - I ordered through Gerry over at SSB Electronics and he made the entire order process a breeze. I highly recommend going through SSB to order any BEKO here in the states, I was originally looking at a few different QRO VHF amplifiers and called Gerry up to pick his brain and he is very knowledgeable about all of his products and is very easy to deal with.

K9SLQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2016 07:51 Send this review to a friend
Beko HLV-1000 is Top Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This amp just sits there quietly until drive is applied and then after running T65B for several sequence at 1KW is still blowing cool air. The idot proof protection circuits for overdrive and SWR is lightning fast. Handsome design makes you want to get a 2nd to carry it's 22 lb around and show people. By now you can see I am super happy with it. Best of all I was able to get it in 4 days off shelf from Gerry K3MKZ SSB Electronic see my report on Company Reviews in the Forums
section of Ham.Net

W2RIP Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2015 11:38 Send this review to a friend
Superb Product !!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this amplifier because I would much rather invest in a few best-of-breed products than in a larger number of mediocre ones. That having been said, this purchase is a home run. Both bench tests and on-air experience confirm that I made the right choice.

- Essentially plug-and-play after installing a US power plug.
- Rock solid in service. My unit checked out at 100% duty cycle (with unrestricted airflow) even though BEKO specs are much more conservative. Lots of margin = peace of mind.
- Light weight, including a built-in power supply.
- Thoroughly protected from faults and operator errors with fast response and an audible fault alert that will send you running for cover. (yes, it's configurable)
- Built in sequencing for mast head preamps, including coax-powered models.
- Accurate peak-power meter with immediate overdrive LED indicator. One less external meter/cables cluttering up the desk.
- Attractive, sturdy and straightforward enclosure. Clean, intuitive panel layout.
- Stackable. No fans or vents in the top. Hooray!
- Well packed for shipping, even by DHL :^)

And last but not least, SSB Electronics is a pleasure to do business with. I ordered my amp just as one was ready to be shipped for stock. Gerry contacted BEKO and they not only swapped out the input attenuator to make it a 10 watt version but they re-routed the unit to me directly. I had it in two days. That is service. Thank you Gerry!!

W7UV Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2015 14:03 Send this review to a friend
Solid High Quality Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered my amp through Gerry at SSB. There currently is about a 5 week backlog in Germany from when you order your amp. It is definitely worth waiting for! The Shipping from Germany was via DHL, the packaging was excellent, and from my front door to 1kW of 2 M RF took about 20 minutes (your mileage may vary). The quality of the construction is excellent, and it is a fine looking addition to the shack. About the only improvement that could be made to the unit would be an ALC output to protect overdrive. That being said, the amp has EXCELLENT protection from overdrive, High Temperature and VSWR. It is very fast acting. I went from a local 2 M SSB group to a Meteor Scatter Sked without remembering to drop the drive... The amp immediately shut down the second the first syllable came out of my mouth... I immediately knew what happened when the overdrive lamp lit. Drive for full output is factory configurable on order. I drive mine with a IC-9100 so I elected for 25 Watts. My understanding that any level from 20 to 50 watts can be selected.

This is my first purchase from Gerry at SSB Electronic USA and it won't be my last. Gerry is super on returning emails, is honest with delivery date promises and overall provides a degree of customer service nearly impossible to find these days. Gerry is a lot like me, I want the best stuff in my shack, and I'm willing to pay a little more to get it. The HLV-1000 does carry a decent sized price tag, but there are other less refined commercial amps with price savings of only a couple hundred dollars.

Having been an active ham for over 40 years I know quality when I see it, and this is it.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

WA3JWP Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2015 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my HLV-1000 from Gerry at SSB Electronic USA about 3 weeks ago. He is the factory authorized sales and service center for Beko Amplifiers in the US.
Like other reviewers, I am totally impressed with this amplifier.

The amplifier is light weight (22 Lbs.) and is a solid piece of German Engineering. Press the power button and you are instantly on the air. Unlike some other amplifiers on the market, the power supply is built in.

I took it out of the box, wired up a 220 VAC plug to the AC line cord that was provided, connected the PTT line (requires a ground on transmit) to my transceiver, attached my coax lines and a half hour later I was on the air.

Another nice feature is the built in sequencer. A front panel preamp switch will provide a sequenced voltage on the coax for mast mounted preamps or a sequenced 13.8 VDC is also available on the back of the amplifier for preamps that canít take voltage via the coax. In addition, a second sequence step is also provided to key other equipment.

Gerry told me that Beko will introduce 2 kW+ SSB/CW/WSJT rated mast mounted preamplifiers for 2 and 70 cmís at the end of Sept. 2015 that can be powered via the coax from their amplifiers or by a separate 13.8 VDC feed. Beko and SSB Electronic USA both provide outstanding support and are the way to go!

KB7ME Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2015 14:07 Send this review to a friend
222 Mhz Version. Power Plus  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the 222 Mhz version, purchased from Array Solutions. Have owned it approx 2 years. Use it regularly for WSJT meteor scatter and long distance tropo. Had trouble at first interfacing the amp with
my Yaesu FT-736r. Problem solved using the amp's Aux jack and a foot switch, amp has performed flawlessly since, at outputs to 1kw.

This unit is lightweight and the PS built in. Makes it nice for portable operation. The communication and support from Array Solutions and
the factory has been top notch.