Reviews Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | Elecraft PX3 Panadapter Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft PX3 Panadapter
Elecraft PX3 Panadapter Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$499 (kit)
Description: Description: The new Elecraft PX3 Panadapter display adds
a visual dimension to signal hunting with fast real time
spectrum and waterfall displays of band activity. The PX3
offers superior sensitivity and DSP processing, giving
you the ability to see signals down to the KX3's noise
floor. Available as a completed product or kit.

PX3 features:

High-resolution, full-color LCD
Fast, real-time spectrum and waterfall displays
Excellent sensitivity and advanced 32-bit
signal processing
Simple, 1-minute plug-in integration with the
KX3; no PC needed
200 kHz max. span; 2 kHz min. span
Point and click by tapping "select" knob to
move KX3 to desired signals
Cursors show KX3's VFO A and VFO B locations
and main/sub RX bandwidth
Multi-pass signal averaging mode shows weaker
signals, averaging out noise
Peak detection mode to show total activity on
the band
Programmable function keys for PX3 commands
Supplied software utility can send screen
captures to a PC

More info: http://www.elecraft.com/PX3/px3.htm

You can write your own review of the Elecraft PX3 Panadapter.

W2TAC Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2017 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Fun KX3 Accessory  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a minimalist ham, owning just a KX3 for the past five years that serves all my needs and drives a dipole farm. I passed on the PX3 for months. QSTs review and a superb YouTube video on the PX3 perked my interest. Im very happy with the purchase. My factory assembled PX3 (s/n 2092) arrived, impeccably packaged, with a comprehensive 64-page manual.

A pan adapter is ideal for contesters. Not a contester myself, I find it great for spotting activity during slow periods. I also make a practice of seeking out slow CW senders in order to encourage newbies to the mode. With the PX3, I can be monitoring down around 7.030 to 7.040 on 40-meters and spot some activity up in the QRS 7.100 to 7.125 area. The PX3 can be used to decode CW onto the screen. Personally, Im not an advocate of that. I encourage folks to put the pencil down, turn off the decoder, and enjoy the historic method of decoding CW by ear.

As I did with my KX3, I purchased the third-party Nifty Accessories stand for the PX3, which lines up nicely with the Nifty stand for my KX3. I also purchased Gem Products PX3 Combo End Panels & Cover, just as I had for the KX3. While I doubt Ill ever take the PX3 out on a hike, the covers still protect the knobs and LCD from me (inadvertently) or a young un innocently damaging it.

The PX3 is fun. Its display quality is superb. It provides an immediate assessment of band conditions/activity. I turn on my accent lamp and enjoy the light show accompanying the music of CW. Thank you, once again, Elecraft for ELEgant CRAFTmanship!
Bob, W2TAC

AG7K Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2014 21:03 Send this review to a friend
Small package, big performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using my KX-3 with a variety of computer programs to display the received signals on the computer monitor, with mixed results. While the display was big, there were always glitches or instability. Problem solved with the PX-3. I was not thrilled by the small size of the display until I used it. Wow, just right after all! Easy, one hour assembly (20 minutes of that was actually reading the instructions and checking the parts) with the easy to follow instructions. Operation is easy and the panafall display option makes it much nicer than the one on my IC-7600 Icom. New software implimented features are already making the PX-3 much more than just a "panadapter".The PX-3 is a winner!

KC6D Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2014 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent device  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Easy to build. The set-up menu system is straightforward. The PX3 works well, is stable, free of glitches of any type and is easy to use.

It allows you to see big sections of the band at once instead of hearing only the little slice coming through the bandpass filter. I find that extra information a great pleasure when operating.

I'm delighted with it. Money well spent.

W5MMT Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2014 13:37 Send this review to a friend
Flexible  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As said before the PX3, KX3 and KPXA offers flexibility that is is unmatched. The interconnectivity is amazing. I don't often use the 100 watt amp, but I think the KX3 and PX3 will seldom be separated. This pan adapter does everything you could want. And you can take it anywhere with ease. Small, yet every function is at your fingertips!

It's so SMALL, yet SO easy to use. I love combining this with my foldable 27 watt solar panel, my A123 batteries, my Buddipole charge controller and either my Buddipole antenna or my AlexLoop and sitting at a park bench and working the world. And, knowing I could do it forever even with the grid down.

W6GF Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2014 12:16 Send this review to a friend
Not what I thought I was geting  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The PX3 with the KX3 and the KPXA is truly beyond all of my expectations The interconnectivity of the boxes is so smooth it makes one a real believer that these guys know what they are doing. I thought I was getting a Panadapter, instead I got what has become an indispensable tool.

I could go into features and bells and whistles, but these are best experienced by using the PX3.

To sum it up. WOW!! and another great Elecraft product.

George, W6GF

N6FN Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2014 10:27 Send this review to a friend
Great companion to the KX3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After using the PX3 for a couple of weeks its hard to imagine using the KX3 (or any radio) without one of these. You can really see whats happening on the band. By zooming in you can easily tell the bandwidth of the received signal and if there are any spurs or other issues being generated by the transmitting station.

You find an interesting signal on the band, move either the A or B cursor to it, tap the Select knob and voila, your KX3 is now tuned to the frequency. By engaging peak detection mode you can "build up" a profile of activity for the last few minutes. Super cool as a "momentary" record of activity.

The waterfall is really great to use, especially when identifying digital data signals.

By using the KX3 Utility you can take "snap shots" of whatever is on the screen. Great for emailing to someone so they can see what their signal looks like.

Is this thing perfect? Well probably not, but its pretty darn close. There were a couple of things I would like to have seen. Who knows, maybe some of them will be added in future firmware upgrades.