Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Sony MDR-V600 Help

Reviews Summary for Sony MDR-V600
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Stereo headphones for radios, etc

You can write your own review of the Sony MDR-V600.

KD4ONT Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2016 22:53 Send this review to a friend
I think they sounded better than the mdr-v6.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I never had the chance to try these cans for ham radio before they wore out and I blew a voice coil in one side. They had more bottom end than the sony mdr-v6. When I decided that the 600 was toast, the only thing similar in appearance was the v6. I bought them at a Sony retail store. The customer service there was always terrible and the employees seemed like snobs. I think the difference between the two, for music, was the 600 had more low end presence than the v6. The v6 sounded anemic.

Trying to drive a v6 on a smartphone, is frustrating. They need a headphone amp. Impedance mismatch I suspect.

KJ4I Rating: 0/5 Oct 3, 2015 18:38 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely the worst  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased these headphones a number of years ago. I guess Sony finally discontinued them sense they were so bad. Well recently I decided to pull these out of mothball and replace the ear pads and use them again. I quickly remembered why I had stored them away in the first place. First of all, they sound absolutely awful and have since the day they were brand new. They are especially bad for ham radio use. They have zero lows and sound very muddy, bright, and tiny. They also pick up a ton of hissing which is enough to drive anybody crazy. For the price these sold for new one would expect a high quality sound. In that respect, the V600's aren't worth a nickle. If you use them for applications where quality sound reproduction isn't important then they might do alright. They are pretty comfortable which is about all they have going for them. You can't buy these new anymore but if you are ever considering buying a used pair take my advice and save your money. You can get Sony MDR-ZX100's about anywhere for $20 or less and they sound excellent. Even the Sony MDR-V150's sound great if you can still find a pair. The only shortcoming of the ZX100's is that the cord is a little short. Other than that they are excellent. MDR-V600's? Junk.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2014 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent sound and comfy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a used metal detector on eBay. The seller included the Sony MDR-V600 headphones, for free. He told me the ear cushions were 'flaky'.
He was right. Sony uses a very thin vinyl to give the 'phones a leather 'look'. I took these pads off and threw then away. I guess the ozone outside ate the material....
I then found a seller on eBay that had replacement pads for cheap with free shipping.
Yes, from China, where else?
I ordered 2 pair. they fit perfectly and the 'phones look brand new.
They are a bit heavy for metal detector usage, but perfect for the radio room.
One thing I really like is the fact that the 1/4" to 1/8" stereo adapter (gold), is screwed onto the small connector.