Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Infinity Primus P143/P163 Help

Reviews Summary for Infinity Primus P143/P163
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $100/160 - now 60/87
Description: Both: Metal Matrix Diaphragm drivers, precision crossovers, front ports, and ridged braced enclosures. P143: 4" & 0.75" drivers, built-in wall hangers, 10" x 6" x 6", 7 lb, 86db SPL. P163: 6.5" & 0.75" drivers, 15" x 8" x 11", 16 lb, 90db SPL.
More info: http://www.infinityspeakers.com/estore/inf/us/shop/Home-Speakers/cat740040;jsessionid=638129A0BEBA7F278EEFEF0FB3445072.node2

You can write your own review of the Infinity Primus P143/P163.

JRT3 Rating: 2/5 Sep 27, 2014 06:32 Send this review to a friend
P153 finally arrived  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a backorder for a mid-sized P153 (.75" & 5.25" drivers in a 13.5 lb package!) finally filled and here Thursday. Mine had a defective woofer (stuck off-centered voice coil), so UPS picked it up for a refund Friday. I observed the simple fact that it isn't that much smaller than the super sounding P163 speaker - and the P153's included dual wall hanging screw slots would be useless, especially on sheetrock walls and considering it's 13.5 lb weight. I'll stick with my P143's - they don't occupy much shelf space, also include wall hanging screw slots and weigh 7 lb, and sound pretty darned good, especially at or near 'ear height'. The 2/5 rating is for my defective P153; the P143 & P 163 are still 5/5.

JRT3 Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2014 05:28 Send this review to a friend
Low distortion/good sensitivity  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had the range of external speakers over the years, including the RL Drake MS-4 and my long time favorites, the 'Lego-like' Radio Shack Minimus & Optimus 7's. These hifi bookshelf speakers blow them away! The small P143's are still three times the physical volume of the RS 7-series - and aurally louder - with a definite improvement in midrange (think speech intelligibility). They seem to have a 6-8 Ohm impedance, too. The much larger/heavier P163 is more efficient and has a deeper bass response, if you can enjoy it (Most modern SW receivers - except the Drakes, Lowes, & Palstar - won't need the extended bass response.). The clean response - the clarity of the speech - really aid in listening enjoyment and pulling out those DX ID's, as well.

I've generally had better results with recycled A/V, ie, home theater speakers, than I have had with dedicated 'communications' speakers. My previous choice was my over two decades old Polk Audio Monitors, replaced in the A/V use here initially by a pair of P163's - which were subsequently replaced by now five P363's - on sale, of course. The smaller P143's were all but an after thought - and turned out to be more than 'sufficient' in use on my Drake R8, Icom R75, JRC NRD-525, Lowe HF-150 & 225, and Palstar R30A. I got mine 'on sale' at Amazon for decent prices.