Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ELAD FDM-DUO Help

Reviews Summary for ELAD FDM-DUO
ELAD FDM-DUO Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1450
Description: HF+50MHz SDR QRP transceiver with direct sampling technology.
More info: http://ecom.eladit.com/epages/990298944.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/990298944/Products/%22ELAD%20FDM-DUO%22

You can write your own review of the ELAD FDM-DUO.

G7NKS Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2016 08:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent purchase and well pleased  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my ELAD FDM-DUO about a year ago from a well known UK dealer. Very impressed with it. I run it through my SPE1K to get about 200 watts out. Running as a standalone it is good and when run via the software it is awesome. No real faults to find and for the money, great value. Jim G7NKS IO92ub

W2NER Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2016 05:54 Send this review to a friend
For the money, hands down best bang for the buck!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had my ELAD-DUO for a few weeks now and it a fantastic radio. I also have a Flex 6300 so I do have a base line to compare it too. It powers up fast, RX is VERY good and the TX audio is close (but not the same) as my flex. I'm using a RODE NT1A mic on both radios. Not saying the audio is not good, as good if not better than any radio I have had, except for the flex.

Power output is 8 watts and into my ALS-1300 I get 175 watts output. I am building a 75 watt amp to use with it so I can drive my 1300 to 1kw. For the $1050 USD this radio cost shipped from the UK, its a fantastic radio. I would not hesitate buying this again or recommending it to a friend.

GREAT WORK ELAD! I also want to say the support from ML&S Martin Lynch & Sons Ltd in the UK was second to none..

N8WGM Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2016 07:28 Send this review to a friend
Small but big!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've heard good things about the Elad FDM Duo and I've heard them on the air. They sounded excellent. It is a QRP rig (5 watts max) but.....there are amplifiers that are relatively inexpensive and can bring this radio into the QRO world. Some folks buy 100 watt Solid State amp and then drive a standard tube amp. That seems to be the norm for now. There are some Solid State amps that put out 1KW + with only 5 watt drive. Tubes seem to be dying and so is the standard rigs. SDR and solid state is the future.

The receive on this radio is excellent. It can stand alone or run through the Elad FDM-SW2 software that makes this radio a Flex fighter. The Flex radios are great. This radio is every bit as good and sometimes better. Being a dual system....either stand alone or computer controlled. No extra stuff needed to make it a stand alone.

The small foot print is really nice on the desk. The menu system takes some getting used to but eventually you learn the way around. It is nice to have this radio hooked to a computer as the short cut keys make running this radio fast and easy......as long as you learn it. The computer control really makes this radio stand out and perform.

Elad USA was quick to ship and had the radio to me in one day. (had to pay extra of course!)

This little box is absolutely amazing. So much in such a little box. Receive is awesome. Transmit, I get great reports.

If you are looking for an SDR radio that won't break the bank, then the Elad FDM duo is worth a look. I really love mine.

VK3MEG Rating: 4/5 Feb 20, 2016 04:54 Send this review to a friend
great value awesome tx awesome rx.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned my Elad Fdm duo for 4-6 months for the dollar resticted ham this is a great radio.
I cant justify $4+k for a simgle radio this is much cheaper. great rx especially on the low bands
and the audio reports i get very good (sm30 mic). i use mine mainly in standalone but do use the water fall.
the split function of having the dx in one ear and the pile up in the other is why i bought the radio.
the display cw decoder is very handy for a cw learner like me. having knobs and buttons is great.
the software is good i use mine in ssb and cw. why only a 4 not a 5 due to the fact i am
struggling getting rtty and digi modes running . i have them working on my ic 7100 so go there.
i use dxlabs to control the radio and generate cw through a winkeyer for keyboard cw. 7 watts
drive and i run a smal mircoset amp the signal is very clean. i'm not a portable operator but
wouldnt hesitate to take it out as it is very light and works great. btw i worked zl on 6m
barefoot with 5-6 watts cw (1500 miles). for swling it is very good the mf and lf bands are
great to explore this rig is staying in my shack and has become my main radio.
this radio also workes great for transverters etc. so many possibilties for such a small radio.
cheers

N5WJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2016 07:45 Send this review to a friend
Cool Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I Have had my Elad FDM-Duo for a couple months now and It is truly a neat radio.. After using many different Flexes it is a little different to operate and I think the Software is not yet on par the SmartSDR on the 6000 Series Flexes but performance wise it is really close to them and much much cheaper hihi... I sold my Flex 1500 to buy this one and it is far superior to that rig for sure... Pros on the rig.. Great Receive and the audio is amazing... on Transmit I am using an Icom SM-50 Mic and it performs great with rig.. I also have a Logitec USB headset that I use running the audio through the Computer and that has been excellent also... Some of the Cons on the radio.. Mic plug is in the back of the rsdio as is the On off switch which is also not the best type switch.. Software is updated pretty frequently and works well I use mine mostly with the software although the radio works fine standalone.. just used to Flexes I guess and the Panadapter is pretty addictive as anyone who uses them will attest...the Software is not up to flexes but they have had many years to perfect theirs I will see how this software moves along... As this is a 5 watt radio I use an HLA-150 Amp and then an Alpha 78 amp to get about a KW out when needed by inputting about 1.5 watts into the HLA Amp and getting about 50 Watts out to the Alpha which loafs along at a KW... Pros outweigh the small Cons so I am able to give it a 5 try this rig and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how well it performs..

Frank.. N5WJ

SM4GRP Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2016 22:28 Send this review to a friend
The very best  Time owned: more than 12 months
The ELAD FDM-DUO is the very best transceiver I've had. It is a big big rig in a small package when used together with the SW2 software. As of today, the software needs further development and ELAD is continously working on it. It's very good that it can be used stand-alone but it shines together with the SW2 software. I'm using it extensively both as a SWL receiver on MW and SW bands and as a ham rig. Summary: The best rig I've ever had (licensed 1974). Highly recommended.

M1EAR Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2016 01:43 Send this review to a friend
Oh yes!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well it's been a few months since I bought my little red gem and thought I'd do a small follow-up.
I've played PSK with my Pro3 and have enjoyed it BUT I've never received such positive unsolicited reports of the quality of my signals since using the Elad. Yes, PSK is a digital piece of software and of course the Elad is digital so why am I so surprised, it's the amount of congratulation comments I've received especially as I'm only using qrp output power.

Now I next tried amplifying my sdr SSB signals, I connected up my Ameritron 811 HXC (4 valve EU version) and I'm now capable of around 195w output from the amp via the Elad set at 5w. Guess that's a win win duo!

My next thought is to strip down my old Kenwood AT-120 atu and ask my local car body shop if they could spray it to match the red colour of my Elad, that'll be a nice 120w atu to match my (reddish)100w Italian amp. All I need is to find a metal cased extension loudspeaker that could have the same paint job. Would that all be called a triple whammy?

The future is now.......

AA7JC Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2016 20:54 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought this last week. I have been having lots of fun with it. No regrets... Great rig.

PROS: I stumbled onto the FDM DUO when I was doing some SWL research.. I saw that there was a lot of respect among SWL enthusiasts for the Elad SDR receivers. I watched a few you tube videos and got even more interested.. I came close to buying one of their SDR receivers but I saw that they had bundled their best receiver into a standalone ham transceiver (the FDM DUO).. It was pricey (just over $1100) but not out of my budget for a full featured ham rig.. The transceiver has some extremely cool features that pretty much sold me (at its price break).. an input for a 10Mhz clock reference! that gives this radio extreme lab quality frequency accuracy.. Also it has an antenna jack for separate rx antenna. It also has a 0dBm output via an SMA connector for a transverter or whatever.. (very cool!).. Another pretty big deal (for the price) is that this SDR radio operates stand alone.. No need for a computer. It comes with a hand mic (with up/dwn freq buttons) and three USB cables. It has audio connectors for both headphone/speaker and auxiliary audio and both have their own volume controls. The ELAD FDM DUO is quite small.. Probably about the size of an Elecraft K1. It looks like it canít possibly have enough controls to be a serious standalone ham rig but I have found that its controls are plentiful via a well packed system of well thought out menus. Its screen even offers text readout of decoded Morse code. It has auto notch filters and extremely quite DSP enhanced audio. The tuning dial can tune in 1Hz increments if desired and is settable to any increment you want. It has RIT that also can be set at 1Hz or higher tuning increments.. The filters are extremely easy and quick to dial wide or narrow.. CW can be dialed in very tight (100Hz) or as wide as you like. All this is available in the stand alone mode without connecting your laptop. With the computer, you can really make this radio sing.. It interfaces with the same computer SDR software program that the ELAD SDR receivers use. It has just under 10 watts of output but I hooked it up to an old Dentron GLA-1000 tube amplifier and was easily able to get close to two hundred watts on forty meters. Plenty for me.

CONS: I find it a bit odd that this tiny rig uses huge SO239 connectors rather than BNC. Other oddities are that the Mic connector (an RJ45) is located on the back as is the power switch (where as the aux audio output is located on the front) Not a big deal just odd..

JL1HID Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2015 23:03 Send this review to a friend
Splendid!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been enjoying QSOs as stand alone mode, especially I was impressed fantastic SSB transmitted audio using ICOM SM30 even though the setting menu was almost factory default.

In terms of software, installation was fairly easy without any troubles, already installed into three laptop PCs(2 Japanese windows 7 and one English windows7).

Although the unit is compact, thickness of the chassis is 3mm! Red color painting is so beautiful. Those make me feel Italian craftsmanship.

To use with HLA150V linear amplifier, one modification was required for smooth operations on SSB and CW mode. As the connection was done by PTT control between FDM-DUO and HLA150V, but RF sensing of HLA150V was still working. Of course, this is not the problem of FDM-DUO.

In order to get certification from JARD, I checked inside to see type number of the final transistor, looked for the specifications and created some documents. I hope that the user manual describes more details on the hardware.

Happy to use state of the art SDR, thanks to ELAD engineers.

M0AFJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2015 08:24 Send this review to a friend
FB Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My first proper foray into SDR, its difficult to comprehend how a box so small can work so well. The ability of this little rig to pull out weak signals from the noise is amazing. Having both manual control and extensive software makes it an easy transition. I use it with a HB SSPA and it makes a powerful DXing machine.
Highly recommended