Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | MFJ-259C Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-259C
MFJ-259C Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$299.95
Description: MFJ-259C is a complete ham radio test station with frequency counter, RF signal generator, SWR/Resistance/Reactance/Coax Analyzer, Capacitance/Inductance Meter and much more!
Accurately measure distance to short or open in failed coax. Measure length of a roll of coax, coax loss, velocity factor and impedance.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-259C.

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2017 06:40 Send this review to a friend
super meter/instrument to have  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had the original model(MFJ-259/works great)a few years ago. Traded it away with another radio, I had at that time.

Now, acquired the updated model (MFJ-259C) and this still operates the same.

I'm satisfied with this device :)

KG7OR Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2017 18:33 Send this review to a friend
Good except for the batteries  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm generously calling it 5 stars because the analyzer itself is fine. I can only second the other five-star comments about its performance.

But the batteries are another matter. I ordered the companion MFJ-92AA10 battery pack (10 rechargeable NiMH cells, $27.95), which arrived loose in a plastic bag. Two of them were shorted and therefore unchargeable; either a factory defect or damaged in the packaging due to no protective insulation on the terminals.

Either way, I had to add a pair of my own NiMH cells to the remaining 8 in the bag. After charging all 10 in my separate outboard charger, the analyzer worked fine.

So, it's an excellent analyzer, but 3 suggestions for the batteries:

1. Don't buy the MFJ-92AA10 pack. Shop for and supply your own NiMH cells; you'll probably save money and get 10 good ones to start with. If not, you can get instant replacements at your local store (I'm still waiting for my two from MFJ.)

2. When you buy your cells, get a separate charger with them. I found a 4-cell pack with an included charger, which I used to charge all 10 before installing them in the analyzer. That was important, otherwise I wouldn't have known about the two duds until I'd tried to charge them inside the analyzer. Not sure what the two shorted cells would've done in that case, but it can't be good. The separate outboard charger instantly identified them as bad, probably saving me hours of frustration.

3. As others have commented, opening the case requires manipulating 8 tiny Philips screws. That's much easier if you use a small drill driver or battery-powered screwdriver. Just go easy when replacing them; use a manual screwdriver for final tightening.

W6KKO Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2017 11:20 Send this review to a friend
It works  Time owned: more than 12 months
I previously utilized an AA-54 and picked up an MFJ-259C used at half price. There are some distinct advantages provided by the AA-54, but the 259C does deliver as well as being able to analyze additional bands that I use.

I use it at home and especially when portable for contesting setup. The digital and analog meters are helpful to dial things in.

A drawback for me was having to fool around with the small screws when replacing the 10 AA batteries. I resolved it by using Eneloop batteries in a plastic AA 10 pack battery holder. I added Anderson power poles on the battery pack side and to an old wall wart cord that fit the 259C for external power. This arrangement was improved by using the MFJ nylon case for the 259C. It has a pocket on the back which easily holds the battery pack and cord extension making it all very portable. The pocket also holds a few RF adapters.

The frequency counter works, but proximity is very close in order to get a reading. I typically use a different device, but it works in a pinch.

There are even more features this device offers and for the price I paid I am very satisfied. I would rate this at 4.5 but for the price it's a winner.

NM3B Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2017 07:30 Send this review to a friend
Takes the "guesswork" away!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned and used this Analyzer for one month and could not be more happier and pleased. It does certainly eliminate the "guesswork"! I am still learning how to use all modes and features but from what I've discovered is amazing. Antenna building has been my passion for many years and don't know how I got along without this Analyzer. I have seen other analyzers and more expensive ones in operation but this one has all the "bells and whistles" I feel needed for putting up an excellent antenna system. Anyone looking for a very good and efficient Analyzer I highly recommend the 259C.

G6ATJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2016 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So glad I have my own, instead of borrowing the club's analyser.
Have adjusted/checked my Diamond BB7V vertical, Sandpiper multiband HF vertical, 4M quad and soom to resurrect my G7FEK nested marconi.
Wonderful piece of kit...no rattles or VFO instability.

KE8BPC Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2016 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have used the analyzer through the HF bands and it has worked great. The only suggestion is to buy the suggested external power source and the rechargeable batteries.

KC7VBF Rating: 3/5 Sep 23, 2016 10:02 Send this review to a friend
Ok, but trouble  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my analyzer on the 29th of August, but didn't even open the package until the 5th of September. I found that someone made my analyzer into a baby's rattle.

I opened the box and found a free-floating screw, like those used to secure the PCB to the chassis. It appeared it was an extra.

Powered up the unit and it worked across all bands except 20 meters, where the display would jump at the low end of 20m band to 155mghz with a slight turn of the dial.

It's been back at MFJ for repair, they received it on the 13th, still hasn't made it to the bench for test and repair. I would have expected MFJ to just send me a new one.

K4GHR Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2016 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Great product. Essential for antenna tinkering!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The MFJ-259C is a great, easy to use antenna analyzer that should be owned (or borrowed) by anyone trying to get the best out of their antennas. I've used mine to tune HF and VHF antennas with excellent results.

Brent / K4GHR

AK4NJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2015 13:31 Send this review to a friend
New MFJ-259C Arrived  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I reviewed the first MFJ-259C that Gentry Electronics shipped out, would not turn on and off out of the box, after three weeks in MFJ's hands, with them saying another three before they could get to it ( Brand new meter by the way) Mrs. Gentry got on the phone with them and arranged for them to ship me a new unit. Like the other five over fives the 259C is a handy tool to have on hand. Thank you Gentry Electronics for the extra effort. I would buy from her again. I will leave separate feed for MFJ repair under repair services - 1/5 if that.

AD1ET Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2015 05:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Item  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have run through the entire antenna farm and tuned up everything that is tunable with vast improvements in HF performance on 40, 20 and 17 meters. Have discovered a major fault with my HF6V Butternut. Will not tune on 75m above 3.4 mhz so have an issue there. Having great fun with vhf rubber ducks. For these, the 259c is basically a hand held radio with diagnostics. One swr at arms length, another near the head, yet another as the device is oriented sideways etc. Exactly like my radios. These varying readings are exactly what one should expect but differences between antennas are still clearly apparent. Great product. Mystery buster.