Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Sony ICF-Pro 80 Help

Reviews Summary for Sony ICF-Pro 80
Sony ICF-Pro 80 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $449 appx
Description: Handheld General Coverage Communications Receiver.

You can write your own review of the Sony ICF-Pro 80.

KB3LKS Rating: 4/5 Mar 25, 2013 19:32 Send this review to a friend
Great audio / Handsome Sony  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got mine from France with original box and new capacitors just replaced. Note: there have been reports of the original electrolytic caps leaking. This can be foreseen if the seller is claiming low volume. Mine were replaced by the seller. The audio is fantastic. Very simple radio to use and programming is a snap. I use it for a bedtime radio and for 75/80 meters and 40 meters (SSB). It has push button tuner and in 5 kHz steps. However it has a fine tune control knob on the top of the radio. So you push up/down till you copy and tune with the rotary knob. For shortwave as mentioned above I would give this radio a 5. However the scan rate is very slow and the higher frequency ranges require switch changing and a shift adapter . Hence if your scanning for the air band 108-134 it takes minutes for it to cycle. As a scanner I would rate as a 3. In close i really like mine for what I use I for. Great broadcast great FM and fantastic audio on the SSB ham bands.

HARRYB19 Rating: 4/5 Nov 25, 2004 20:03 Send this review to a friend
very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got the sony icf-pro80.and badly need an owners manual,as anyone got one that i can download?

Thanks Harry.

JAGUARITOH Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2003 03:51 Send this review to a friend
Help !  Time owned: more than 12 months
My old and favorite ICF PRP-80 is completely broken, after about 10 years use. I wish to have/buy another one. Where and how can I get a new one at what price ?
I live in Japan, where this model is no longer available. Please help !

K2KGJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2003 15:26 Send this review to a friend
A good general coverage SW receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned an Pro-80 for about 10 years and bought a second one last year on eBay for my son as an SWL receiver. For my use, as a portable general coverage SW receiver, without the convertor, it is very satisfactory. Sensitivity with the standard telescoping whip is quite adequate for short wave broadcast as well as checking activity on the HF ham bands, I have even used it at work listening for 6meter openings. Memories in one channel group start me in the middle of the 160 through 6M bands. The 10 KHz frequency steps are quite tolerable with the fine tune control after a bit of use. The speaker audio beats anything else I have heard in a handheld and it is a favorite 2nd radio for FM broadcast. Battery life is good.

TONYJ Rating: 2/5 Jan 30, 2003 22:48 Send this review to a friend
i'm lost  Time owned: more than 12 months
i like the radio, i've had it sitting up for years because i get frustrated with it because some of controls i don't understand...the internal switches do what? when you use the adaptor? i just don't understand a lot of it...can someone explain it to me/

9K2SH Rating: 3/5 Aug 3, 2002 04:33 Send this review to a friend
not that great but ok  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the Pro-80 for years now and the first problem that I had with it was that the converter that came with it to extend the range to the Air band and TV was not working ( and its still as is ! )
secondly, good luck in hearing any dx without using an external antenna or any wire attached to the telescopic antenna supplied with it.
when I attached Sony's AN-71 compact reel antenna I was able to copy stations from all over the world on 40 - 20 - 15 and 10 Meters from Asia, Europe and both North and South America.
I still use the Pro 80 daily mainly for FM radio stations.