Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Fat Spectrum Antenna All band LF HF VHF Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Fat Spectrum Antenna All band LF HF VHF Vertical
Fat Spectrum Antenna All band LF HF VHF Vertical Reviews: 10 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $489
Description: A 21 foot All band LF HF VHF Vertical Antenna. No tuner required. Handles full power 1600 watts SSB. Covers 160m,80m,75m,60m,40m,30m,20m,17m,15m,12m,11m,10m, and 6m. Easy install 10 minutes. No baluns used or needed. No ground radials or counterpoise needed. Low VSWR for entire band of frequencies from 160m through 6m. Auto band changing.

You can write your own review of the Fat Spectrum Antenna All band LF HF VHF Vertical.

K0CCP Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2015 09:50 Send this review to a friend
An Excellent Vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Fat Spectrum on Ebay after talking to Carl concerning the antenna. It was a stop-gap antenna to cover my HF bands that I lost when an ice storm completely demolished my Hexbeam. I have always been afraid to purchase a vertical primarily because I did not want to place counterpoise all over the place to be able to get good reception. I placed my FS about 15 feet above the ground next to a metal building, trying to keep the pool equal to the pitch of the roof. After I got back into the shack, I was pleasantly pleased with how quiet the antenna was, similar to my Hexbeam. The noise level, even on daytime noisy bands of 40 and 80 is acceptable. To say I'm excited about the FS's is an understatement. Does it reach 12000 miles? I don't think it will, but let's find out! So far I have reached 6000 @100watts. I think that is a testament to the quality of this antenna.

The other vertical that I have had, A Challenger II, was nothing like this antenna. This is easy to park and if you want counterpoise, you can sure use them. Instead, I'm using my metal roof on my Shack!

KG5IQZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2015 18:29 Send this review to a friend
Wx preview  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this Antenna for only a short time, but I had to tell someone I was impressed. Which is why I gave it a 5 in this early review.
I am a new Ham and have yet to "stretch it's legs." Reception at my location [N16ak, hope I have that right, in OK, USA]is excellent.
What I wanted to comment on is it's ruggedness. So far it has survived unscathed a 65 mph sustained wind, 75 mph gust front and most notably a 2 in Ice storm that totally clobbered my trees.
It is installed 22 feet up a pole with a 6m hamstick type and a 2m PVC type antenna. The ice completely pulled my 2m apart, the hamstick type was covered with ice and survived. I was concerned for my Fat Spectrum which seems so fragile looking up at it but even with an approx 20% arch it held firm, shed it's ice coat, and looks as new! I Am Impressed!
More to come as my experience grows!

73's Ken KG5IQZ

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2015 09:37 Send this review to a friend
Not the best vertical ever built, but far from the worst!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my antenna a little over a year ago. Does it work better than any other vertical I've used? ANSWER NO! However, it is far from the worst vertical I've used. I put it up with the base not that far off the ground, But with plenty of metal used as a ground counterpoise (lots of wire and chain-link fence).

SWR curve was relatively flat over the spectrum it covers. Reception was quite good and transmitting wasn't bad either. I found while experimenting that the more counterpoise I used, the better it radiated.

My feelings on the antenna are it is great for those who live in antenna restricted neighborhoods, areas where you have little real estate to work with, or even for temporary use.

I took mine down because I now have full sized antennas up and a tri-band beam too. But the vertical was carefully repacked and will be at my next retirement QTH where the XYL and I won't be performing any maintenance work for the yard or building.

Carl hit a home-run with this antenna!

Bill
K1FPV

WB9AZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2015 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I received this antenna in June had up and working within 15 minutes from start to finish and was having QSO's as far away as new Zealand and more Then it was hit by Lighting totally blew out the antenna called the builder and he said he would rebuild for nothing other than then cost of shipping and a FANTISTIC job he did returned and it works GREAT
WB9AZ

K7JDS Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2015 15:10 Send this review to a friend
Fat Spectrum Ant  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well what a Antenna! At first I had my doubts as I live among a lot of High Lines so the Static is real bad. But I have this antenna up 55 feet and seems am away from a lot of noise. I am surprise at the way I can hear with it. It is still new to me but I have made some long contacts that no other antenna I have did. So am giving this a Great Rating and it is super easy to put up Jim/K7jds

W2FDR Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2015 03:48 Send this review to a friend
Best Vertical Out There!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I figured it was time to write an updated review of my experience with the Fat Spectrum Vertical. It has performed superbly over the past year as I have worked most of Europe, South America, and parts of Asia and Africa on just 100 watts. It is very well built, and has withstood two Nor'Easters without issue. It is amazing quiet compared to my 133' dipole and frequently outperforms it! Due to its beatiful SWR's I was able to retire my antenna tuner. This one's a keeper.

There's nothing more to ask for in a vertical, it performs as promised and then some!

W8PPB Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2015 13:19 Send this review to a friend
Worked well until the housing police came!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I Received the antenna two days after ordering It via priority Mail. Assembly was a snap taking about 10 minutes. I mounted the antenna on a 10 foot pole and put it up. For the next week or so I had a lot of fun using it. The majority of the time I was running WSPR or whisper (Weak Signal Propagation Reporter). Running 5 W QRP I was heard routinely in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, South America, and Europe. I even made a three way voice QSO running 5 W with Clearwater Florida and Guatemala City, Guatemala from Northwest Ohio. Then I got a phone call from the Home Owners Association president who told me that someone had complained and I should take the antenna down. Reluctantly, I complied. Fortunately, Fat Spectrum Antennas agreed to take it back. I will miss this antenna. I would recommend this antenna to anyone who needs an all band antenna.

W2NER Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2015 16:46 Send this review to a friend
Great for what it is  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you're limited on space or have restriction due to where you live, this is the perfect answer. If you're looking for a max performance antenna or compare it to a dipole, no contest. For what it is, it does the job across the bands. Out of all the verts out there (and I have tried a few) this is about the best. If you are going from lets say a 160 dipole to this vert then, you must keep in mind the performance is no way going to be the same (not even close). But like I said if you're limited on what antenna you can use, space and or restrictions, this is the antenna for you. I have tested this on many bands including 2 meters. I can tell you it performs well. As far as SWR, never went above 2:1 across the bands. For what it is, how it performs, ease of installation and ability to setup an antenna in limited conditions, this is for you...

KC3DQF Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2014 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I happen to be local to KA6DIV who hand makes these antennas. Mine was a snap to install and I actually get better results with my antenna analyzer than the test data provided with my antenna. I have the antenna installed on a tower with no radials. I see less than 1.9:1 across the bands - I am very pleased with the results on the air as well. Well made. Highly recommended.Excellent support and follow up also, even though I have not had any trouble.

W8ASP Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2014 16:53 Send this review to a friend
Best Vertical Ever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the best vertical I've ever owned or used. It is 21 foot tall in 5 sections that slide into each other. It is well marked as where to stop and tighten down the clamps as you extend it. Ten minutes tops on installation time. It doesn't have or require a balun and doesn't require a counterpoise or ground rods. We all know as with all vertical's that the addition of adding ground radials will improve its performance.I still have the option to install the ground rods but with my experience with this antenna they are NOT needed. I installed mine on a 10 foot mast and mounted the mast to a fence post at ground level. Also used a one inch ground braid to a 6 foot ground rod. That easy on installation. I also used 100 feet of 2213 coax. I've had nothing but excellent results from this antenna. Nothing but rock solid performance from 160m to 6m. Beautiful VSWR full band average was about 1.2 to 1.5 max running over 1400 watts PEP SSB WITHOUT the use of a antenna tuner. I've purchased and tried several of the big company HF verticals that are available on the market and I will not bore you with all of the brands and results. All I can tell you is they did not come close to the quality and performance of this antenna! Great performance on all bands but really stands out on 80m to 20m. At this moment there is not a website up to promote this outstanding antenna but I was told that one would be coming. I purchased mine at E-Bay under Amateur Radio Antennas category. The sellers name on E-Bay is carlh1979 with 100% feedback.