Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Sirio 5060 Help

Reviews Summary for Sirio 5060
Sirio 5060 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $95
Description: TORNADO 50-60: OmniDirectional 6M Vertical Base Station
More info: http://www.sirioantenne.it/prodotti_all.php?category=VHF+%2830-300+MHz%29+Base+Antenna&antenna=++TORNADO+series+36...60+MHz&idc=1011280341&idg=1008171189&idp=102

You can write your own review of the Sirio 5060.

K4TK Rating: 3/5 May 26, 2017 11:24 Send this review to a friend
i must be missing something?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok, first.....yes...the antenna has very wide bandwidth with low SWR. So excellent there. Yes, the quality of the materials is excellent also. Yes, the price is very reasonable.

BUT...here's what I don't get. I just got mine YESTERDAY (25 May 17)....and mine came with NO instructions. It had info on safety, grounding, etc. It had a bunch of stuff in other languages (which i just today translated, and it's just all the safety info again). It came with another sheet with specifications, tuning chart, and an illustrated parts list....that was generic for this model and other models (it lists 3 different models). BUT NO INSTRUCTIONS.

So, I'm an Engineer....30 years a ham and 30 years in the comm business...built MANY an antenna....so I figured it couldn't be hard. Saw lots of reviews on Amazon where I bought it (and now several here)....stating "simple to assemble...just took 15 minutes...etc.".

Well, either I'm "antenna building challenged"....or....missing the instructions made it harder than it should be (I'm pretty sure that's a BIG part of my complaint, NO INSTRUCTIONS whatsoever!)....or....that or a combination of....mine had parts from another antenna?

You see, all my 3 sections that attached to the base had predrilled holes on the larger end....thus....to me....indicating apparently all three sections were to be SCREWED together.

But the issue is, besides having no instructions and thus having to make some assumptions (and we all know how that can go sometimes!)...mine came with only 4 screws and a small hose clamp. The parts illustration said my model should indeed only come with 4 screws (other models had different amounts in the list). And yet...my sections had SIX holes on the largest part....again....making it appear I should have 6 screws (not 4).

The base and the first section had predrilled holes on BOTH parts....where the junction lined up. In other words, you slid the next section in the base section....lined up the TWO pairs of holes....and put in 2 screws. Bingo, perfect.....very easy.

But on the next section, the top of the just installed piece did indeed have two holes from the factory. But the section that slid into that, had slits cut into the bottom end.....typical of where they would want you to apply compression. That piece, had NO holes in the bottom to marry up with the holes on the other piece. What to do? Tried using the small included hose clamp. Nope, it barely fit over this junction...and would NOT tighten down enough to permit the antenna to NOT move. So, I found no choice but to DRILL HOLES and mount with two screws, much as I had the previous pieces....but they were BOTH predrilled. It was as if....the factory sent me the wrong piece....or forgot to drill the 2 holes (but instead, cut slits)? Yea, I know...........makes no sense to me either......

On the next section, even worse (this was the top section). While the top of the piece I just finished assembling did indeed once again have two holes predrilled, the bottom of the top section I was about to install to it....again...had NO holes...nor did it have slits. I tried the hose clamp again, nope. That wouldn't tighten enough to stop it from moving. Since it already had 2 holes....nothing to do but once again drill two holes (that again, like the last piece...I used the existing holes on the outer mating piece as my pilot). Only first, I had to check for resonance at my desired freq. To do that, I used the primitive tuning chart and it got me closer than I thought it would. FOR TUNING, I used that hose clamp....to keep the top section from slipping down (at the desired length). Once tuning was confirmed, I tossed that hose clamp in the trash....went back to drilling my two matching holes at the desired length, and provided TWO MORE SCREWS from my own parts (remember, they only included 4 screws....and that unused hose clamp).

So now, it's all together and mounted. ASSEMBLY ALONE, took about 2 and half hours.....with all the drilling....head scratching and guessing on how to assemble....etc. Mounting on a mast onto the roof took minutes.

So, I don't know HOW anyone else put theirs together....and I REALLY DO NOT KNOW HOW ON EARTH....it could be done in "15 or 20 minutes". Tuning, yea....very quick. Assembly, NO....NOT QUICK.

So how did you do it? how did you put yours together? Did you have actual instructions....that told you step by step how to do it (I didn't). Did you have to drill? (I did). Did you have to provide extra hardware? (I did). How did you connect those sections? Did you ignore the predrilled holes from the factory? If not, did you use the screws? Other than the base piece and largest of the 3 sections.....which that joint had all four holes predrilled for you....so went together easily....HOW DID YOU PUT THE OTHER JUNCTIONS OF SECTIONS TOGETHER????????

Oh, I have mine mounted at 20 feet. Haven't used it much. So far, I've only compared it to my other 6 meter antenna...a very low gain (but wide bandwidth) MJF discone antenna which is mounted on my tower at 40 ft. So far, not surprisingly....the discone at 40 ft hears better than the 5/8 ground plane at 20 feet. But frankly, I don't think that's a fair comparison....given the height difference.

Again, what i really want to know ....is how anyone else got theirs TOGETHER? Quality is good. Bandwidth is good. SWR is low. Price is good. Assembly......a bit of a mystery at this point!

K4TK Rating: 3/5 May 26, 2017 11:00 Send this review to a friend
I must be missing something here?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

So, I'm an Engineer....30 years a ham and 30 years in the comm business...built MANY an antenna....so I figured it couldn't be hard. Saw lots of reviews on Amazon where I bought it (and now several here)....stating "simple to assemble...just took 15 minutes...etc.).

You see, all my 3 sections that attached to the base had predrilled holes on larger end....thus....to me....indicating apparently all three sections were to be SCREWED together.

But the issue is, besides having no instructions and thus having to make some assumptions (and we all know how that can go sometimes!)...mine came with only 4 screws and a small hose clamp. The parts illustration said my model should indeed only come with 4 screws (other models had different amounts in the list). And yet...my sections had SIX holes on the largest part....again....making it appear i should have 6 screws (not 4).

On the next section, even worse (this was the top section). While the top of the piece i just finished assembling did indeed once again have two holes predrilled, the bottom of the top section I was about to install to it....again...had NO holes...nor did it have slits. I tried the hose clamp again, nope. That wouldn't tighten enough to stop it from moving. Since it already had 2 holes....nothing to do but once again drill two holes (that again, like the last piece...I used the existing holes on the outer mating piece as my pilot). Only first, I had to check for resonance at my desired freq. To do that, I used the primitive tuning chart and it got my closer than I thought it would. FOR TUNING, I used that hose clamp....to keep the top section from slipping down (at the desired length). Once tuning was confirmed, I tossed that hose clamp in the trash....went back to drilling my two matching holes at the desired length, and provided TWO MORE SCREWS from my own parts (remember, they only included 4 screws....and that unused hose clamp).

So now, it's all together and mounted. ASSEMBLY ALONE, too about 2 and half hours.....with all the drilling....head scratching and guessing on how to assemble....etc. Mounting on a mast onto the roof took minutes.

So, I don't know HOW anyone else put theirs together....and I REALLY DO NOT KNOW HOW ON EARTH....it could be done in "15 or 20 minutes). Tuning, yea....very quick. Assembly, NO....NOT QUICK.

So how do you do it? how did you put yours together? Do you have actual instructions....that told you step by step how to do it (I didn't). Did you have to drill? (I did). Did you have to provide extra hardware? (I did). How did you connect those sections? Did you ignore the predrilled holes from the factory? If not, did you use the screws? Other than the base piece and largest of the 3 sections.....which that joint had all four holes predrilled for you....so went together easily....HOW DID YOU PUT THE OTHER JUNCTIONS OF SECTIONS TOGETHER????????

Oh, i have mine mounted at 20 feet. Haven't used it much. So far, I've only compared it to my other 6 meter antenna...a very low gain (but wide bandwidth) MJF discone antenna which is mounted on my tower at 40 ft. So far, not surprisingly....the discone at 40 ft hears better than the 5/8 ground plane at 20 feet. But frankly, I don't think that's a fair comparison....given the height difference.

K2MOB Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2015 11:39 Send this review to a friend
Good All-Purpose Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have this antenna at 20' and have had good results working FM repeaters within 75 miles at 25 watts. I've also had excellent results working SSB to the US west coast with 100 watts. I've had DX QSO's with Alaska, Canada, Mexico, and Cuba at the end of last summer, can't wait to see what the spring will bring! Was easy to assemble and tune, very pleased with quality and it has resisted coastal corrosion very well. Well worth the money!

AI4SU Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2015 16:46 Send this review to a friend
Good ears, TX well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Awesome antenna. Instructions easy to follow, assembly very easygoing. Tuning swr was also easy using the length chart diagram. I am using this antenna for local talk only on 6-meter FM. I have the tip of this antenna at 55 feet. It receive twice as well as my previous antenna at same height which was a vertical dipole. I'm communicating with others that are 20 plus miles away whose antenna not very high up. I spray painted this antenna green and it's mounted in a tree; no issues with swr, even when wet or while raining. Others gives me a good signal report back. I'm sure it will perform well during band openings. The material grade is very strong and high quality. There are other 5/8 wave antennas on the market that cost twice as much as this one, but as for me, my money was well spent.
Looking for a 6-meter vertical, go ahead and try this one. 73's and explore and experience 6-meter.

G3XAP Rating: 4/5 Jul 11, 2015 08:26 Send this review to a friend
Good value antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this for the ES season and was surprised at the build quality - superb! Assembly was simple and took around 20 minutes. I tuned it with an MFJ 269 and found that the length for resonance was somewhat different to that quoted in the instructions, however this was not a problem. The SWR is 1.1:1 from 50.0 up to about 50.9 MHz.

Mounted on top of a 20ft pole, I can work anything I can hear. But ... I am not hearing DX. Nearby stations are working W/VE stations which I just cannot hear. Maybe next year I will invest in a beam.

Overall, this antenna is very good value for money.

Phil, G3XAP

ON4XA Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2014 11:02 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
This high quality base station antenna for the very popular 6m (50Mhz) band is a great addition to the Sirio range. 5/8 Wavelength antenna for base station working on 50-60 MHz tunable by means of the enclosed tuning diagram. This series are made of anti-corodal aluminium tubes. Strong and easy to install, it allows very good links.This antenna is one of the best built antennas I have ever seen. Exceptional quality and definitely overkill in materials. It took about 15 minutes to assemble, 5 minutes to tune. SWR 1:1,3 on 50,000 -> 1:1,5 on 54,995. I contacted many countries and all continents with it. Great product.