Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Chameleon Antenna CHA TD Lite Help

Reviews Summary for Chameleon Antenna CHA TD Lite
Chameleon Antenna CHA TD Lite Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $170
Description: Portable HF Antenna
1.8-54 MHz

The CHA TD LITE (Tactical Dipole LITE) is a HF broadband antenna specially
designed for portable HF communication where rapid deployment and simplicity
of operation is essential but compactness is primordial.

The antenna will operate at all frequencies in the 1.8-54 MHz band without any
adjustment with most modern external antenna tuners. No masts or guying are
required.

The antenna will work successfully supported by trees, masts, the tops of
vehicles or any convenient object or structure. The antenna works most
effectively when elevated at a reasonable height, but if no support is available it
will also radiate (with limited efficiency) when stretched out on the ground.

The radiation pattern of the antenna has a significant vertical component at all
frequencies, making it ideal for NVIS applications.

The antenna system consists of:

1 X EMCOMM II (INCLUDED)
2 X 60 Copper Clad Iron Wires (Antenna)
2 X Tent Stakes

VSWR: Subject to configuration
Length: 2 X 60
Weight: 3 lbs.
More info: http://chameleonantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the Chameleon Antenna CHA TD Lite.

K5HH Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2017 12:35 Send this review to a friend
Quality portable Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Design
Very well designed with simplicity in mind. It has the following;
Black box design with the EMCOMM II. With hook mount on top, bottom mounted so-239 connector, & split wire connectors with one on top and one on bottom, easily screwed in with wing nuts.
2 X 60 Copper Clad Iron Wires (Antenna)
2 X Tent Stakes
1 X Mesh Bag

Workmanship & Sturdiness
Top quality material and workmanship. A lot of thought was put into the details, such as the attached winders, the quality of the wire, insulated connector rings on each end of the wires, hoop connectors at each end, readily apparent robustness of the EMCOMM II unit, heavy duty crimps, and stainless steel hardware all make this a very sturdy antenna that is ideal for portable use.

Features
Frequency: 6M 160M
Power: 500W SSB or 250W CW
RF Connection: PL-259
VSWR: Subject to configuration
Length: 2 X 60
Weight: 3 lbs.

Ease of Use/Installation
Can be configured as Sloping 'V', Horizontal Dipole, Sloping Wire, Inverted L, & Horizontal NVIS.
SUPER easy to put together and hung in minutes. I've hung it from tree branches, fiberglass poles, and off the side of my loft (Seven stories up).

Performance
I have ZERO complaints here. For instance, last weekend I worked Canada, Virginia, and Las Vegas, all from a park just south of Dallas, TX, reciving 59s while transmitting at 15 watts. They might have been being polite, but they seemed to hear me just fine as I got no calls for repeat info.

Cost/Value
1:1 ratio here. It's a bit pricey, but ygwypf. This is obvious quality and will handle, pretty much, whatever you throw at it. If operated within spec, this will outlast you. It's rugged, very well built, and works as advertized. Also of note, the customer service at Chameleon Antenna is second to none.

Overall Rating
5 Stars.

KV4AN Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2016 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Broadband Dipole  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just moved to new QTH and could only put up one HF antenna. I wanted 80/75, 60, 40, 30, and 20 meters. My ZS6BKW (G5RV variant) was not able to do that. I hit the books trying to design such an antenna without much success. I then remembered my Chameleon Tactical Dipole (full version) that I use with my FT-817. It is too valuable for continuous home use, but Chameleon sells a lower cost "Lite" version without the backpack and some other tactical components. I got one and put it up and it is amazing. The internal tuner in my Yaesu FT-3000 was able to grind out a match on all bands 160 to 6 meters. Heard a local beacon on 6 and signals on 160-40 were really strong. Checked in to my NTS CW net and the stations were 10 over S9. Really solved my one antenna only problem.

N4KGL Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2015 04:58 Send this review to a friend
Ready for any situation  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I operate outdoors portable and sometimes moveable (Rapid Deployment Amateur Radio aka RaDAR). I have used the CHA TD Lite in several configurations of the many possible. The configurations are outlined in a Chameleon user manual. I have used it as an inverted Vee from tree limbs and even once hung the center at the top of a lighthouse. This is the antenna to have if you don't know what the situation is going to be. I use it with the internal tuner on my Elecraft KX3 and the LDG external tuner for my Icom 7100. I just pick the frequency on any band and tune. It is rugged and easy to pack. I like the winders for the 60 foot radiators. I have had success on many outings. I would take a look at this antenna for RaDAR, EMCOMM, and Field Day.

KD8HCY Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2015 03:15 Send this review to a friend
great go anenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna used from a friend to run at the deer camp in upper Michigan had a great time talking on kenwood 756 pro running at a low power s4 &s5 ohio to califorina japan, was easy to set up ,never did to go hunting for dear but had a great time on the air my holding own winter field day