Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Radio Works Carolina Windom 80 Compact Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Works Carolina Windom 80 Compact
Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$189.95
Description: A full coverage 80-6 plus WARC Carolina Windom that is only 69 feet long.
More info: http://www.radioworks.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Works Carolina Windom 80 Compact.

K9YR Rating: 4/5 Jan 30, 2016 00:14 Send this review to a friend
Fit my lot size  Time owned: more than 12 months
I needed a multiband wire antenna that fit inside my lot size of 75 feet wide. The apex is up at 35 feet, and it is almost horizontal as I have a lot of trees. The antenna is very poor on 10 and 12 meters for some reason, but works really well on 15, 17, 20, 40 and 80. Since I like 10 meters I had to put up an alternate vertical antenna. I have worked some decent dx on 15,20 and 40 ssb with 100 watts. Haven't used 30 or 60 meters yet. Great ragchew antenna on 75 meters for local communications. A bit expensive but built well.

W1JWD Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2016 06:13 Send this review to a friend
Well made, good materials  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this last week after reading great reviews both here on eHam and other websites. Caveat: I have not yet deployed it, but just wanted to add my comments that the company gives good service and uses high quality materials in the construction on this highly modified dipole antenna. Will post again once I have deployed and used it on the air.

WA7KPK Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2015 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Does the job  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For a couple of years I made contacts with a homebrewed 40 meter dipole at a height that made low-flying sparrows nervous. It worked decently enough for the most part, but wasn't worth a lick below 7 MHz, and I wanted something that would allow me to check in to some local public service nets on 75 meters. After a bit of research I decided to give the Carolina Windom 80 Compact a try. It required less than 70 feet of space, a must for my suburban yard, and I max out at 200 watts PEP on SSB, so power levels weren't a concern. Getting it the recommended 30 feet in the air would be a challenge, and in fact it maxes out at about 27, which doesn't allow the vertical radiator to be exactly vertical, but what is ham radio without a challenge? Thanks to three friends I had the CW80 Compact up in the air after two Saturday antenna parties.

I'm happy to say it meets me needs quite well. The first day I had it up (much lower than it is now) I worked Hungary on 20m JT65 along the gray line with about 20 watts. Since then I've worked Thailand, Ukraine, Venezuela, Brazil, Hawaii and New Zealand, as well as all over Europe, Japan and Australia and more states than I care to count. Signal reports are consistently good, both on the air and from PSK Reporter.

And oh yeah, now I can check into those 75 meter nets.

KB4OIF Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2014 03:08 Send this review to a friend
A five all the way  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ran one of these for about 2 years till my maple tree ate it during a really bad windstorm. Still have it but had to cut some branches out of the maple that made the better half a little mad. OK, a lot mad. Had mine at 38 feet. Limited length of the yard makes it a great antenna for me. Will probably purchase another one after the new year. My 590's internal tuner had NO problems with the tuning. Was not surprised at the construction as the one it replaced was a 40 LP from Jim at Radio Works.

KE0Q Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2014 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
With limited space and a desire to have a multiband wire antenna that would work well on 80 and 75 meters, I've found the Radio Works Carolina 80 Compact to fit the bill. First, when ordering the antenna, I found Radio Works helpful and prompt in filling my order and in delivery. The antenna was packaged well, included good instructions, and even included an generous amount of waterproofing tape. As I opened up the package and began the process of preparing the antenna for raising, I was pleasantly pleased with the build quality--this antenna is made well!

Installed as a flattop at about 33 feet, the performance has been excellent. I also have a 33 foot Zero-Five vertical with 60 radials so I've been able to do some A-B testing and I've generally experienced a 2 S-unit improvement over the vertical.

When I first installed the Carolina Windom 80 Compact I noticed a little R.F. in my shack on 40 and 15 meters so I constructed an air choke and connected it near the input of the isolator which eliminated my problem.

For a short wire antenna I don't think one could do better. I'm very impressed and would recommend this antenna or any of the Radio Works products. The 80 Compact is a keeper!