Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Yaesu FRG-9600 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FRG-9600
Yaesu FRG-9600 Reviews: 17 Average rating: 2.9/5 MSRP: $529.00
Description: Yaesu FRG-9600 V/UHF General Coverage (Wideband) Receiver 60 to 905 MHz (modifiable) Gapless Coverage.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FRG-9600.

PE2KMV Rating: 2/5 Jul 5, 2016 05:25 Send this review to a friend
Deaf a s a post  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Yes, the 9600 is rather aged. But that's no excuse for being really deaf. My unit was just good enough to hear some (local) air traffic.

Furthermore the multiplexing display caused some minor interference. The slightly flickering display could be heard although the squelch was closed.

Last but not least don't expect this to be a scanner. Yes, it has a scanning function, but that's it. Don't expect any performance as scanning is very slow and again causing some interference (ticking sound).

Summary: great looks (green segment display), low performance.

DXTUNER Rating: 4/5 Jun 22, 2014 21:01 Send this review to a friend
It's a classic that hears well.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This now classic scanning receiver has really bad reviews, along with some 5-star ratings. Either you'll love it or absolutely hate it. Obviously the bad reviews come from people who (a.) were expecting a super-fast police scanner and (b.) paid a premium price for it.

Me, I've always loved this as a VHF/UHF receiver. First of all, I personally prefer VFO'ing over scanning. But what really makes the FRG-9600 special is that it's not super-duper highly "sensitive". Because, on VHF/UHF, radios with so-called 'high sensitivity' actually get too much noise and gunk, preventing weaker signals from being heard. Remember, except for the air band, you're mainly dealing with FM mode now. Anyhow, the FRG-9600 hears really well, much better than these turbo-charged police scanner things. The audio is much better too.

I limit my positive rating to 4-stars though, because of the curious omission of VHF-low and 6-meters from this unit. I enjoy low band dx'ing very much and that alone keeps me from giving the FRG-9600 the highest mark. These Frogs typically go for $150-$225 on the used market and that's about it's usable worth. If you get suckered into paying more than that, by some slickly-worded ad, then you will write a scathing review like the others.

PY2026SWL Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2013 06:29 Send this review to a friend
Very Sensitive / Excelent Size!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one FRG-9600 last week!
Its very sensitive on ALL bands.
No harmonics, excelent selectivity.
Excelent size, very compact!
Nice audio on all modes.
Im using a disconne antenna.Excelent performance.
Im very happy using this unit!!

KB0XR Rating: 2/5 Apr 24, 2011 05:43 Send this review to a friend
Not what I wanted  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got one of these in a trade about 20 years ago. I wanted a wide band scanner and what I got was an okay single frequency monitor. I lusted after the tv module but never found one. I traded it back for a Sony 2010 which I still have and use every day. A cheap Bearcat scanner filled my needs as I was not then interested in exotic frequencies.

KM1H Rating: 4/5 Apr 22, 2011 13:38 Send this review to a friend
Decent for what it is  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had one for almost 20 years, bought it used for a song from another unskilled or over expectant owner.

It came with the RS-232 adaptor and I added the Radiokit 100 KHz to 60 MHz converter.

It followed me around the world on business trips, helped locate in house and external interference sources as well as noisy utility lnes and leaky CATV lines.

I still havent used the RS-232 option but it has been a good little tool to listen to ham activity while Im upstairs with the family.

Its also been particularly good for keeping an eye on VHF and UHF ham bands for exceptional tropo conditions. I have it set up so I can easily switch in to the various large yagi arrays while I either ragchew or chase DX on the HF bands.

It does exactly what I expected and operation has been flawless.

Carl

KD0JCW Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2011 05:52 Send this review to a friend
Recives geart  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought mine used from a guy in Canada for $135 about 3 weeks ago not a mark on the front . He has had it since its been out,used it alot but it was still like new letters were still there on the front the lens was not marked up,he was just downsizeing old stuff to make room for new and I tell you what I put it up side by side with my Bearcat BC-9000 it has a peramp on it with the same kind of home made wire antenna on it and its better sounding then the Bearcat it receives better then my Bearcat by far! I live 6 miles from are P.D. and with out a antenna I was picking them up not good but I coulnd hear them I got a good deal but I had to wait for 3 weeks for the money order to clear coustoms that was the bad thing shipping wasnt to bad it onley took 5 days to get here from the west side of Canada I live in Ia. they onely held it up in coustoms for 4 hours in the US I watched the tracking everyday BBW when U send something to Canada coustoms doesnt move to fast there. It has good FM sound even without a speaker I have a Motorola speaker on mine but it does fine with out one. I tried for 3 months on Ebay went up to $426 allways got beat by $.50 or $1 I tried 6 times on Ebay and I found anouther ! in Canada on the East side he wanted $285 for it I asked if he hold it for 4 days tell I got the money together he said yes but when I called he let it go the day before but that didnt stop me I got on Goggle and frist thing that poped up it just went on a few hours before I looked for it I wrote hime told him Id had the money he said hed hang on to it but the thing that made him mad was the thing with coustoms he wanted his money and just for a letter Money order from the post office they held it for 3 weeks thats crazy! I had to buy a wire stand for it but that was not much shipping hrom Yaesu was more then the stand was and it didnt bring it up high enough so I did a goggle on the MMB28 moble brakit and found one at Unaversal Radio he said he hadnt seen one of those in years I said it shows on the website u got it he look at his and said it dont show up on his he said wait and u counlnd hear him say by god we do have 1 left lol he came to the phone and said u dount know how much dust I had to take off to see it. It still had some dust on it whenI got it its was $27:87 then he let me have it for $17.78 + shipping Id buy anouther 1 if I found 1 cheap! I have it on everyday hasnt failed yet!

W0EAJ Rating: 3/5 Jan 11, 2010 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Good for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got mine in a trade some years back; it's used on the bench for a monitor, and works splendidly. Covering that "missing" portion from 200 to 400 mHz, it's invaluable. Verify your garage door at 303.825 mHz for instance.

Quite often, I put it on WBFM and listen to a commercial FM classical station - works great and sounds like a concert hall with an external speaker. It's a horrible "scanner", but that is NOT it's design forte' - nor was it ever MEANT to be.

Yeah, I wish it covered 6m, but with a 4-ele yagi, I can copy AMSAT stuff pretty easily, and it's never given me any trouble.

(see, no misspelled words - it's amazing what reading will do for your vocabulary)

KK0DJ Rating: 1/5 Jan 13, 2008 14:22 Send this review to a friend
Less than Splendid  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would have to say that this was a pretty feeble attempt by Yaesu to provide a nice broadband rig too. I had one and quickly discovered it was of little to no fun to use... and quickly traded it off.

G4IPZ Rating: 0/5 Jan 13, 2008 11:08 Send this review to a friend
A total pile of rubbish  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I was offered this some years back I thought I was getting a deal. I was - a deal of old trash. The scanning features are abysmal. In my case it wont retain anything in it's memory and every so often the tune dial decides that which ever direction I turn it in it will only go up in frequency. I live quite close to biggin hill airport and the 9600 suffers terribly from cross mod from the over flying aircraft on AM.
I wouldn't say it's deaf but it's definitely hard of hearing.
It really is a pile of pooh and only suitable as a shack door stop and is probably the biggest load of tat that yaesu ever produced

SWL-I3-2551 Rating: 3/5 Dec 21, 2006 04:23 Send this review to a friend
old project but onest  Time owned: more than 12 months
Buy it used about 10 years ago n still was imho a onest receiver, work weak signal, not very selective, but i have istalled video module, fc965, fc1300, kuranushi console and least but not last with pc can give it little new options and life before buy new receiver... any novice or anyone want a receiver to start to listen i can say buy this but not more 120 or$ on ebay, maybe with fc965 ( downconverter from 0,5 to 60 MHz) or fc1300 (too very rare upconverter from 900 to 1300mhz) or video option istalled... remeber anyone disappoint this is was a scanner not a receiver, build over 20 ears ago (the cat iterface was for appleII o texas instruments pc) so the project was thinked before dont blame this the aor at same time was a waste!