Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Yaesu FRG-9600 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FRG-9600
Yaesu FRG-9600 Reviews: 15 Average rating: 2.9/5 MSRP: $529.00
Description: Yaesu FRG-9600 V/UHF General Coverage (Wideband) Receiver 60 to 905 MHz (modifiable) Gapless Coverage.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FRG-9600.

G1HBE Rating: 2/5 Jan 8, 2004 14:12 Send this review to a friend
Oh dear...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm afraid I have to agree with the last two reviewers. I owned one of these as a 'standby' to listen to a few favourite channels while doing more serious tuning on my IC-R7000. What a pile! The scanning features are so slow and clunky, they really are not worth the trouble, and selectivity was poor - closely spaced PMR channels constantly interfered with each other. Shame, but there we are. Another scanner sold cheaply at the next rally!

WB2NGX Rating: 2/5 Mar 24, 2003 17:26 Send this review to a friend
FRG-9600 Needs Help  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned the FRG-9600 for a few short weeks.
I just can't figure out the scanning set up of this unit. It has 100 memory channels all of which I can fill with frequencies to listen to but when it scans and stops on a memory channel the display digits start to blink from left to right and then it resumes scanning cutting off the conversation. I just don't get it. This renders it virtually useless as a scanner. The other thing is you can only scan 10 channel blocks at a time and not the full 100 channel bank. I would apprieciate any input anyone may have or if there are any mods to cure this problem. What were they thinking of when they designed this unit?

TNX....... Joe WB2NGX

SIERRAHOTEL Rating: 1/5 Aug 3, 2002 03:36 Send this review to a friend
Could have been a contender  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I did some work for someone, and ended up making a trade, the work and a handheld scanner for the 9600. It was in new condition, and I thought he was crazy for letting the 9600 go so cheaply. It didn't take long to see I had been the crazy one for taking it!

It wasn't much more sensitive than a regular scanner, and the scan speed was pitiful, like 6 channels a sec, something like that. There were lockups occuring once in a while, and I found out that was apparently a normal thing. The audio was pretty decent, but not spectacular. The firmware oddities were very annoying. I went to Universal, and side by side with the display unit they had at the time, it worked exactly the same as it did. It kind of gathered dust on my shelf and then a friend bought an Icom R7000, and brought it over. The 9600 went on sale the next day. I got a decent amount of money for the FRG-9600, and bought a 7000 that I still have today. If the firmware hadnt have been so "crippling", and the price would have been more reasonable, the 9600 wouldn't be a bad receiver. Anyone giving the 9600 a 5 star rating must never have used an Icom R-7000 or 7100, either of whitch is ten times the radio the 9600 is, even with the oddball scanning scheme it uses!

Another dissapointing Yaesu product that could have been so much better with just a few changes!

N2MWE Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2002 18:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Receiver!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Blows away my BC780. Too bad the FRG9600 can't be used as a trunking scanner. Selectivity is fantastic, audio quality is commercial grade. I love this radio. Bought it second hand on ebay, and have enjoyed it ever since!

KB0GNC Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2002 01:27 Send this review to a friend
You can't beat this receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Yaesu FRG-9600 new in 1989 and even though that is a long time ago, this radio still shines. Living near an AFB gives me the advantage of being able to listen to UHF military frequencies. When I put this radio next to a brand new Uniden/Bearcat BC780XLT on the same frequency, the Yaesu wins hands down and has no trouble at all pulling weak signals from the local F-16 pilots practicing their maneuvers nearby. Sometimes the 780 doesn't even break open the squelch. I can also pick up four different NOAA weather sites (one 110 nautical miles away) with the Yaesu. The 780 can't touch the sensitivity at all. All in all the Yaesu in my case has worked flawlessly and I don't have a negative thing to say about it. When you consider all the features the 9600 has you would be hard pressed to find the flexibility it offers vs. other wide range receivers of this quality. This radio was truly the epitome of gapless receivers of it's time.