Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Alinco DX-SR8T Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DX-SR8T
Alinco DX-SR8T Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $529
Description: Great radio with 3 major pains

You can write your own review of the Alinco DX-SR8T.

KF6WND Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2017 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Great little rig.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this rig in late spring of 2017 for use at our summer home in upstate New York. I added the AL-100 antenna tuner, a BHI dsp filter plus an external speaker, an MFJ-822 SWR/POWER meter and a D104 microphone which I modified with an electret cartridge.
This rig has proven to have a great receiver and transmitter. In barefoot mode the power output steps are not a problem. However, it would be hard to use with a linear amplifier where continuous variable drive levels are required. I really like my rig and station setup.

KB3ZUO Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2017 15:56 Send this review to a friend
Good buy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I opted for this instead or the SR9T because with the SDR feature you need to buy a SDR to monitor 2 bands anyway. You can get one for about 100 dollars at Ham Radio outlet with good specs. It is a good radio. I use it mainly for listening until i get a good antenna set up. With a MfJ 1622 apartment antenna it gets very many signals on a good contest night. The location of the antenna is poor and can receive but only contact limited directions being in the middle of town with homes nearby but it can be used. I have had only one problem with the ldg tuner but I just had to reset it and no problem. I sometimes use it with a Timewave ANC-4 electrical interference filter. I would recommend using a pretuned antenna if you can afford it though or homebrew a single band dipole and make an ocf dipole that tunes 6-80 It does do digital I use a MFJ -1260 mic splitter but all of the accessories took 2 years to get. It also has a split feature. The store I bought it off of said it didn't do digital but it does with the correct signalink and the SLUSB8R plug. The LDG-Al 100 tuner has better specs than the competition and when i mistuned without an antenna it just needed reset. Some say it is not a contest radio but they say that for not wanting an inexpensive radio.

KK4JBO Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2016 13:04 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My first new rig, and I love it. I did do research before I purchased it. I don't do CW so that wasn't an issue. I like it because of its simple (like me)lay out and not a lot of bells and whistles. Also the front mounted speaker is great.I would recommend this unit to any one plus it is the least expensive HF rig. Bob 73

KB3ZVH Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2016 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Great for the money!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Being a new ham this radio works great for me. My old radio was an Icom 745 vintage 1980. I use the MFJ-297 Desk Microphone. Getting great reports from hams local and distant. Being on disability fixed income this was an affordable rig. Been using it for two weeks and I am very pleased with my new rig.
I also enjoy the fact that the rig is linked to my computer with Ham Radio delux. KB3ZVH in Erie, PA

KZ4B Rating: 4/5 Mar 25, 2016 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Remarkable performance for what it is with limitations!  Time owned: more than 12 months
A number of SR8/SR8T? Transceivers are reviewed as having either great SSB/AM Audio or very bad audio with virtually none falling in between. I believe the reason for these observed extremes is that (unlike most transceivers) when narrow RECEIVED bandwidth is selected, the transceiver automatically selects equally narrow TRANSMIT bandwidth. Narrow RECEIVED bandwidth sounds restricted--but much better in quality than the TRANSMITTED audio at the same bandwidth. By my own observations, TRANSMITTED audio is great sounding as long as NARROW RECEIVED bandwidth is never selected whenever TRANSMITTING. I was able to talk to the head of ALINCO's Service Department about this. He confirmed that there was a "design flaw" which was later corrected to allow the TRANSMITTED bandwidth to remain wide regardless of the selected RECEIVE bandwidth. He also said that the earlier transceivers were theoretically modifiable to correct the problem--but that he did not currently have the few inexpensive parts necessary to execute the modification!

The DX-SR8(T)'s AM Wide (Nom. 6 KHZ), SSB Wide (Nom. 2.5 KHZ) and SSB/CW Narrow (NOM. 1 KHZ) MURATA 4-Pole Ceramic Filters seem to work quite well considering most of the competition uses more sophisticated Collins 8-pole "mechanical" or crystal filters.

This transceiver is better suited to "barefoot" operation as there are only a few fixed power output levels (100 Watts PEP SSB/FM, 40 Watts Carrier AM, 10 Watts SSB QRP, Etc.) whereas linear amplifiers prefer continuously variable "drive" levels.

The RIT Control is so close to the Main Tuning Knob as to be ergonomically in-accessible--especially for a right-hander. Selection of the Second VFO (which is also controlled via the Main Tuning Knob) appears to be the best solution to achieve the RIT Function.

The Main Tuning Knob is so light-weight as to have little "flywheel" effect and is only a "press-on" Knob. For a more high quality feel--I use a much heavier replacement Ten-Tec Orion Knob complete with set-screw. What a difference!

KI8DJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2016 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Great rig for $  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well i'm not a cw op so I cant comment on that but for casual rag chewing this rig is great.I have gotten many unsolicited comments praising the ssb audio.Having 60 meters FM, splits and a big display puts it at least on par with the 718.Last of all alinco rigs seem nearly indestructible.

WB8CAC Rating: 2/5 Mar 6, 2016 06:37 Send this review to a friend
Just barely an OK rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Let me start by saying that the ICOM IC-718 with a CW filter is my favorite rig. I've been running one for years and can't say enough good about it. Unfortunately, the 718 had to go in for repair of the first problem I ever had with one.

I bought the Alinco because I needed a backup rig to use until the 718 came back (didn't want to miss the NC QSO Party). The Alinco was picked for low price. I should have spent the extra bucks for a spare 718.

To be fair, I made 495 contacts in the QSO Party. 169 CW, the rest SSB. So, the rig works somewhat.
It is a nightmare on CW. The advertised "narrow filter" is an entirely useless audio filter, not an IF filter as they apparently want potential buyers to think they're getting.

The front panel arrangement is nothing short of stupid. Using the RIT is painful. The RIT knob is so close to the VFO that it is impossible to use without bumping the VFO off frequency. You can use the dial lock, but the button for it is difficult to hit without moving the VFO.

For that matter, most of the buttons are placed to make operation as difficult as possible. It would be a much more user friendly radio if it could be computer operated with Ham Radio Deluxe, or some other program. It can't.

On SSB, the transmit audio is poor at best. As others have mentioned, the stock mic can be replaced with almost anything for vast improvement. A mic pain control might help, but probably not.

The only plus points I can come up with are cost, 60 meters without having to modify, and decent receive sensitivity.

If the extra bucks won't kill you, go with the IC-718. Just remember, with the 718 you need a fairly expensive optional CW filter (unless you don't run CW). You can run CW without the filter, but it absolutely makes it a better experience.

WD5FUN Rating: 2/5 Jan 8, 2016 05:59 Send this review to a friend
You get what you pay for  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you are interested in one of these as your first radio, you might want to consider something else. The quality of construction is poor, capabilities is very limited, too many rubber buttons and not enough knobs. You can not even set power out, other than 3 positions, with out opening the case. It has no computer control, no tuner, no external mike gain, on board speaker is terrible, bad audio filters. If $500 is all you can spend, then you might consider a good used rig. I have had one for several years and it has been relegated to the work shop. I would sell it but they are not worth anything used.

KK4WEY Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2015 15:36 Send this review to a friend
Wow  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used this radio for a year now and it's been great. I always get good audio reports and have contacted over 50 countries using an end fed wire antenna. It's super easy to operate and extremely affordable.

W5WSS Rating: 4/5 May 25, 2015 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Good for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the rig for mobile work, hill topping working HF DX from quiet locations. The radio works well for me. I am a casual user needing easy operation. The RX is OK the filter selection helps with QRM more than My comparable Icom 718. For strong signal environments When I conducted side by side A/B switching the SR8T does reduce the nearby SSB interference leaving a better copy on the station being received, But for weak signal work and signal to noise ratio is not an issue when compared to the Icom-718 the SR8T does not hear a weak signal as well regardless of any adjustment. The weak signal work (from quiet locations) demonstrates the distinction favoring the Icom 718. Having said all that, the SR8T has enough going to justify the price.