Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | High Sierra HS-1500MKII Screwdriver Help

Reviews Summary for High Sierra HS-1500MKII Screwdriver
High Sierra HS-1500MKII Screwdriver Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $599.99
Description: Continuous coverage, motor driven HF antennas
More info: http://www.cq73.com

You can write your own review of the High Sierra HS-1500MKII Screwdriver.

KD5SRW Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2009 18:37 Send this review to a friend
A great screwdriver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my HS1500MKII from a ham in Florida. Kept it in the closet for about 2 years until I got the Kenwood 480HX and the Turbo Tuner to go with it. Finally got the MKII installed (after disassembly and a thorough cleaning...and btw, no rust, no worn out parts, but I rebuilt it anyway, just to be on the safe side...) on my Infiniti QX4 SUV. I decided to mount the screwdriver on the driver side rear slightly out from the body/bumper...welded the supports to the vehicle's steel frame work. Solidly mounted it was the perfect spot for the antenna, I can also see it in my side mirror just in case of any problem. Grounded everything for safety and used a Rig Runner to assure low vehicle noise (and less of a snake pit of wiring!). The screwdriver tunes ups easily and with little noticable motor noise even on the outside of the vehicle. The MKII I purchased was painted (powder coated) solid white with a white 6 ft whip, so it not only opeates well it looks good! When first tuning the antenna to the 480HX I noticed how low the SWR got, not like SWR on a home based rig but, more than acceptable for a mobile antenna mounted on the larger body of an SUV. My first contacts were on 40 and 17 with 59+ 10 reports in spite of less then stellar conditions. So, I am happy to report that the "old" model HS1500MKII is alive and performing beautifully. If this antennas performance is a standard then the newer models must be superb. Anyway, I an very happy with my antenna and happy that I got it even if it was "second hand". I will definately buy another High Sierra when I wear out the MKII!

W6CTQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2005 16:05 Send this review to a friend
Wish I had one!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchase the HS-1000 from Bob Cobler WQ6B (the original manufacturer) in 1996 to use on my 92 Explorer, at least 70k +/- miles (rain, sun and snow) on it and lots of RF thru it all I can say about the HS is I wish it would quit so I could get the HS-1500 MkII but as saying goes "If it ain't busted leave it alone"!!
The 1000 has a 3vdc motor in it and I can not use any of the auto tune units.
The way its going it will out last me!!!!
From what I've heard all the HS antennas just keep on going!!
Larry

W0LFJ Rating: 1/5 Dec 15, 2004 05:42 Send this review to a friend
W0LJF  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the High Sierra about 6 years ago.
I have had nothing but trouble. The spring contact kept twisting and would not let the antenna come done. Then was told to put rg 58 center part into the center of the ring and that would help. Then the motor wouldn't have enough power to push the coil up. I called and was told that they have sold their ants all over the world.... But no help... I called aprox on
12-9-04 and asked how many coils on the shut coil and was told that she had more important things on her mind... Just didn't work very well for me. Great ant for some, but not for me.

W3GUN Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2003 16:04 Send this review to a friend
High Sierra screwdriver ant  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been running the High sierra screwdrive ant for two years now, both in my truck and on my motorhome. This is an awsome setup. Have worked many stations with 57 or better signals mobile when others barely get in. I have run it thought the bands 6 meter thru the new 160 meter band with their new 160 meter coil. east 400 mile contacts even on 160. This ant with little maintaince ( clean the contact at the base etc. works perfectly. Thinking about a great mobile ant get one you will not regret it.

AB2OL Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2003 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna, fantastic service!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought My HS-1500MKII May 2002. I've made tons of contacts, and gotten many unsolicited compliments on my signal strength. I run an Icom 706MKIIG, 100W mobile. The antenna is great 20M-10M, good on 40M, never tried on 80M, 30M or 6M.

The contact spring recently wore out which is normal, and I cracked the weathersheild during a cold weather inspection. I E-mailed HS, asking about replacement parts and cost. I got an E-mail response from Jim at HS in less than one hour. Jim stated that the wear on the spring was normal, and the weathersheild and spring would be replaced at no cost.

I reccomend the antenna to anyone that can handle the size, and the service to anyone who buys stuff. Sure the antenna is a monster (9'-11'6"), but it's all that metal in the air getting your signal out.

KG6IBW Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2002 16:05 Send this review to a friend
Great performaer for a vertical  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got HF privs in Feb 2002, now have 120 entities on my HS-1500 (five months later). Pros: very well made, easy to tune, breaks pileups (no kidding, I worked Ducie and San Felix my first month with 100 watts when everyone was trying to get another contact). Cons: A little lost power in the coil, coil spring needs regular replacement (once a year?). A great choice if you need a mobile or have snotty neighbors. Almost invisible.

W8OQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2002 13:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for fixed use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a vertical for our winter park model home in Tucson, AZ. I bought the High Sierra HS-1500 MkII with the silver package (~$400) and mounted it on a 10' mast behind our aluminum carport, using the carport as the ground plane - no radials required. It loads 1:1 on all bands from 10 to 40. It works extremely well, getting 59 reports from all over the world. I just finished working all continents and 40 different countries in a few hours during the ARRL CW DX contest. I am very surprised at the performance and highly recommend it for fixed use.
Dave Kammer W8OQ/7 in Tucson

KF0XQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2001 20:11 Send this review to a friend
Versatile Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my HS-1500B with their Gold Sierra Package just before Christmas. The only other items required are a fused DC power cable to run through the firewall, and a bracket which I had made at a local machine shop to bolt to the bottom side of my '94 Ranger's bumper. No holes to drill !! The SWR is FLAT from 40 to 6 meters, to around 1.5 at the lower end of 80 meters. When I check into a 10M repeater, I have COMMAND of it. I bought the black version, so it LOOKS GOOD, too.I'm using it with an IC-706 MK IIG with Better RF's 706 Tune Control, also available through High Sierra. Also, Jim Heath was very informative during the call to make the purchase. Dave, KF0XQ bates@rollanet.org