Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | JBL Pro LSR305 Powered 5\" Studio Monitor Help

Reviews Summary for JBL Pro LSR305 Powered 5\" Studio Monitor
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $200/ea
Description: 3 Series 5" Powered Studio Monitor with 1/4" TRS & XLR inputs with switchable sensitivity +4dBu/-10dBV, max 108dB SPL, 43Hz-24kHz, bi-amped (41WPC Class D) to 5" LF & .75" HF drivers. 11 lb; HxWxD: 12"x7"x10". No grille.
More info: http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series/lsr305#Features

You can write your own review of the JBL Pro LSR305 Powered 5\" Studio Monitor.

JRT3 Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2014 07:49 Send this review to a friend
Great addition for broadcast listening!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My low distortion SWBC receivers - a Lowe HF-225 & 150 - sound great on my Infinity P143 speakers - I just wanted more volume. I elected to try a powered studio monitor - the JBL Pro LSR305 - 5" LF/1" HF monitor. I bought mine and a couple of cables for ~$150 shipped from Amazon. I compared the LSR305 at a local guitar/music store chain to several other, some much more costly, similar sized monitors, reasoning that the 8" size was too large, if only ~$60 more. I set the input to -10dBV and the HF & LF trimmers to '0'. I connected the Lowe HF-225's Line Out via a RCA female phono jack to 1/8" male phone plug adapter to the RCA phono plug end of a male 3 pin XLR connector cable, plugging the XLR into the LSR305.

I first listened to some oldies on a local MW broadcaster, setting the receiver to AM-Synchronous detection and using the 10 kHz BW - WOW! Tuning into Radio Australia (9,580 kHz 1200-1400 UTC) was wonderful. Switching to USB & 2.2 kHz some 20mb (14,250 kHz) I was rewarded by a 'crystal' clarity - a very slight improvement over the P143 speaker alone. The HF-225 has an 800Hz audio filter with a 200Hz BW on CW which is before the Line/Record output, making comparisons between the P143 speaker and the LSR305 powered monitor possible. I tuned down to the CW portion of 20 and noted little difference, other than SPL, between the two. The JBL LSR305 seemed to come from 'that side' of the room, ie, no 'sweet spots' as with a traditional speaker. No zero signal background hiss was noted. It must be located away from a wall, allowing room for the rear mounted bass port as well as axis to the controls - and room for the input connectors and cables, too. At ~11 lb, it is relatively lite weight - but must have good shielding in it's clad MDF case, as it's switching type power supply, it's AC input rating of 100-240VAC is a giveaway here, can't be heard on a portable AM shirt pocket radio within 2 feet of it. Still, keep any AM loop antennas away! The owners manual can and must be downloaded from the JBL Pro site. The LSR308 exudes quality - and, reportedly burned in for 100hr, should be relatively trouble free. Even if it only draws a few Watts idling while on, I turn it off with the radio - and secure it's AC with the other gear in T-storms. I am basically a SWBC and MW listener these days - it is ideal for my needs - I am happy!

Biggest con? Reaching around it to turn it on/off - and adjust it's sound level. Of course, I knew that before I bought it - all of the powered studio monitors I saw were like that. I am almost accustomed to that minor 'con' already!