Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ICOM IC-2000H Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-2000H
ICOM IC-2000H Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $299.99
Description: Two Meter FM Tranceiver. 5/10/50 Watts Power.

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-2000H.

K8WRS Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2014 13:50 Send this review to a friend
Solid Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
One person rated this radio as a 3/5 but had been using it as a "Packet BBS " radio and complained it overheated.
Well if this was a radio with a fan instead of the whole top being a heat sink his shack would have burned down.
This radio has the whole top as a heat sink, is very easy to program, has large buttons and will last a lifetime if used with common sense.
If you are going to use it continuously do what I did and put a 24V fan on top and run the fan at 12volts, no noise and very cool radio.
You don't have to worry if the fan runs or as on my Yaesu FT-5100 if they designed it to come on when it should, they didn't! The fix was to ground the Black fan wire and have it run continuously. Too late for my 5100.
But my Icom IC-2000H is still running great and at full power.
No tin cabinet here! Built like a brick.

CX6AV Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2013 13:11 Send this review to a friend
One of the bests  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was purchased this transceiver used.
Really is one of the bests of dozens that I was owned.
Excellent for transmit in all 2 meters band and MARS/CAP.
The best for receive Air Band radio in AM mode, i live 40 km to Montevideo city in a farm in country side and heard all the activity of the SUMU airport and aircrafts on plus of 400 km distance of my QTH.
Love this radio for use un base/mobile

AI4WM Rating: 4/5 Sep 16, 2012 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Good solid radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Until the manufacturers use a real microphone connector instead of an RJ45 I will never rate any radio a 5. Over-molded strain reliefs are bad enough.

Now for the good parts about this radio. I bought mine used about 2006 and used it as a second rig at my house so I could have one in the shack and one in the garage. This radio is very easy to program and use. It is solidly constructed and performs well at all power levels (5 10 or 50 watts).

The only thing lacking on this could be that it only has 60 memories, but I never even needed that many. It does not have a dedicated WX channel or alert like more modern rigs.

Presently this is the rig that I have in my jump kit since it is very dependable (even with a cheap RJ45 mic. connector).

KI7F Rating: 3/5 Jul 20, 2011 20:30 Send this review to a friend
Satisfied with the Icom IC-2000H two meter transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the Icom IC-2000H two meter FM transceiver now for 14 years. The first couple of years I had it, it was being used for a packet radio BBS system receiving and forwarding packet radio messages and bulletins 24/7 and was over worked a bit and at times became very hot! I ran it at the full 50 watts for a while, but, the final amp transistor finally became "soft" and because of constant over heating, etc. It now only puts out 22 watts in the high power mode. It is now being used as my 2 meter base rig for FM voice or packet using a J feed 1/2 wave antenna in an apartment here in the Denver area. I live close to an airport, so I have programmed a few aircraft band frequencies into it as well and some NOAA WX frequencies. One of the display back lighting bulb had burnt out and needs replacing as well as perhaps a new final amp transistor although I seem to do ok with just the 22 watts from my current location.

W9CLL Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2011 13:58 Send this review to a friend
Works and keeps working  Time owned: more than 12 months
Another one of my "I have had for 15 years" rigs but I really have owned this radio since '96. It has never let me down and I still use it everyday (was on it this morning on the way to work). If I had to nit-pick and tell of a problem I would say it gets a bit hot when running full power.

'73's
W9CLL

AA8KY Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2010 19:55 Send this review to a friend
Own Several  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use several of them for APRS nodes. Never thought I would get used to the mic plug, but I learned to prefer it. Easy to hook to TNC. I always favored Icom Radios

W8GND Rating: 4/5 Aug 6, 2008 13:28 Send this review to a friend
Good radio, but died  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an Icom 2000, which was in the rear seat
of my car, unused. Hooked it up, and almost no
power out.

So, my question is does anyone know of a source for the Module that handles the power out? It's an SVsomething Toshiba, according to other reviews here. RF parts hangs up on it, and frankly, I suspect that they want $50 for it. I do have a backward Torx screwdriver for the panel.

Any help appreciated for this 1996 or so radio! It was really a very nice unit. I have about 6 other 2 or 2-440 rigs hi

73 jerry w8gnd

VO1GXG Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2008 07:20 Send this review to a friend
nice  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Fantastic radio for fixed or mobile use.

KF4KQI Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2007 18:27 Send this review to a friend
Great rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the IC-2000 "non H" version. 11 years old.

I bought this rig new back in 1996. It was not in use constantly, but was in a vehicle for 5 years or so. At one point, forgotten and thought long lost... I found it later in a puddle of water in trunk cubbie hole! The radio was sitting in the water base side down, with the display clear. The trunk apparently had a leaking seal. I figured the radio was dead, but ended up trying it out a year later, and it works! I pulled it apart expecting to find crud and such, but it looks as good as new.

Anyways, after a through cleaning, even qtipping the knobs, the IC-2000 is still chugging along. Recently used again as a mobile, and now serving as a base unit, it is doing great. I havn't had intermod problems with this rig, and I live near the center of town with a antenna around 50 feet or so.
Being 11 years old and almost 12 at this point, it does not have some features that the newest rigs have. No tone decodeing, only encoding. Also you can't plug in freqs with the mic without a optional DTMF decoder as far as I know. I also wish it scanned a bit faster, but even newer rigs today have slow scanning rates. Since the body of the rig is basically one big heatsink on the top side, it stays cool. I wish the aluminum was anodized. I may do so one day.

The rig is easy to program, sounds good on the air, receives the aircraft band great, and I see it serving on in my use until DSTAR or something of that sort makes it almost useless. I would reccomend anyone buy one of these used on the market today if looking for a solid 2 meter rig.

Did I say it has a big display you can actually SEE?

KF4HRM Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2007 19:14 Send this review to a friend
great for a very long time.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio has lasted my a very very long time, about 6 years of so. NOW the cpu is shot and its useless. I can not complain, I have been satisfied with its life. MY complaints: BELLS and Whistles cost more than they are worth and should be included. Before the advent Computer so not down or uploading. Great value at the time.