Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Van Gorden Shorty Dipole Help

Reviews Summary for Van Gorden Shorty Dipole
Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $45
Description: HF Dipole antenna with Traps. 70ft in length.

You can write your own review of the Van Gorden Shorty Dipole.

K6FED Rating: 4/5 Apr 8, 2008 20:29 Send this review to a friend
Good Second Choice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna is a great second choice if you are working with limited space. I've had the antenna for about three months. I've used it om 80, 20, and 17 with a Palstar ATIKP Antenna Tuner. Its a little deaf on 40m. I have it up about 30ft in an inverted V configuration. With the easy to follow instructions I had it in the air in about an hour.

N6SUZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2006 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Hard to Believe  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this antenna with my RV. I needed an antenna that would cover all bands, be simple to put up and work in the limited space of an RV spot. The antenna is used in the form of an inverted V with the apex at about 35 feet and the ends at 20 feet (when I can). After a couple months I replaced the 450 ohm window line with a balun and coax. I never know what the configuration will be from one RV sight to another and the window line was just a little harder to work with in this situation. I am able to make all my NTS and MARS skeds. The signal reports I get are often times as good as those I get using my full size G5RV at home.

K0KVR Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2005 06:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had a Shorty for about 6 months. I installed it from my tower at about 40 feet to a tree, about 80 feet away at the same height. I use it principaly for 80M and 160M operation and have had no problems making contact on either bands. So far I have worked 32 countries on 80 meters using the Shorty. At first I had RF feedback problems because I had not stretched the ladder line out away from my shack properly. Since then, I ran the ladder feed line level and away from my house and other lines in, e.g phone, electrical, cable, etc. The antenna tunes fine with my MFJ tuner. I would recommend this antenna to anyone with limited real estate that wants to work normal amounts of dx (not all 335) and have low band capabilities.

KD6NXI Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2003 21:24 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very well priced for the money. Decent bandwidth on 75 meters. After a few years though these will rust quite badly and need replacing but otherwise they are very good for the money.

K9MNQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2000 13:17 Send this review to a friend
Works Good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna works good for places with a limited amount of space. It is 70ft tip to tip. I have mine in a horizontal inverted V configuration. With the MFJ-949E antenna tuner at my location, it tunes well on all bands from 160 meters to 10 meters and have worked lots of dx. The antenna wire has to be cut and soldered to the ladder line and traps.

Mark, K9MNQ