Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | MLA-M V.5 Help

Reviews Summary for MLA-M V.5
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Portable Magnetic Loop Antenna

You can write your own review of the MLA-M V.5.

M0GNA Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2015 05:09 Send this review to a friend
Gone loopy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a big fan of Magloops.They are the perfect answer when space is limited or you want to get out and about and get on the air in double quick time.I have used an Alexloop with great success on field trips etc.I decided to give the MLA-M V 5 a try to use around the house and so far I am more than happy with it.I only run 5 watts with my FT817 and have worked far into Europe SSB with great reports.Like all loops you have to get the hang of tuning it,at first its a bit hit and miss but once you get the hang of it you can hit the sweet spot without too much fuss.Its very robust and built to last.You don't need to worry about tripods or mounts it will sit just about anywhere.I have run it from my kitchen table and from my bedside cabinet.Its a clever design and it works well,perfect QRP antenna solution and lots of fun..

HB9CPS Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2014 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Impressive!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Magnetic Loop Antennas (MLA) are amazing! Until two years ago I largely ignored them becuase I could not imagine they could be effective compared with full size antennas. Then I decided to give them a try. I purchased the AlexLoop and took it to a mini dx-pedition to Namibia (V5) and Botswana (A25). With only 5 watts from a KX3 and the loop antenna inside the tent, I managed to create large pilepus with rates of up to 180 Qs per hour.
The MLA-M V.5 manufactured in the Czech republic is not different. I obtained one last summer and was surprised how well it performs. Contrary to standard mag loop antennas, that typically cover a frequency range of 1:3, e.g. 10 MHz to 30 MHz, this one covers all bands from 3.5 MHz to 30 MHz. A specially designed matching circuit and a double loop make it possible. With a KX1 I end up with reports within 1 S unit compared to my vertical. Like all mag loop antennas, this Czech MLA is also quite challenging when tuning it. The reason is the very high Q making them extrenely narrowbanded. This MLA is easiest matched using a graphical antenna analyzer, such as the YouKits FG-01 to quickly find the best match. Once tuned, retuning to a neighboring frequency is then quite easy. The antenna is designed for indoor use, but unless you live in a shielded steel bunker, you will be able to work the world with just 10 watts indoors. Give it a try - you'll be amazed. Enjoy experimenting and discovering things you did not think vere possible.
73, geo, HB9CPS