Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Outbacker Perth Plus Help

Reviews Summary for Outbacker Perth Plus
Outbacker Perth Plus Reviews: 24 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $329
Description: HF, 6m, 2m mobile antenna
More info: http://www.outbacker.com.au/mobile_vehicle-77.php

You can write your own review of the Outbacker Perth Plus.

W9GB Rating: 4/5 Apr 17, 2012 10:05 Send this review to a friend
FACTS  Time owned: more than 12 months
Outbacker Antennas - North America

When properly installed the various models of the Outbacker Mobile Series provide truly outstanding performance with extreme versatility. For example, consider the model STEALTH PLUS. This is a single whip, only 4 feet long, that covers 75 through 10 meters Plus 6 and 2 meters. This antenna is no larger than a VHF/UHF colinear whip and is perfect for the new HF transceivers that also cover 6 and 2 meters. The model PERTH PLUS has the same features in a 6 foot length off eri ng improved performance where this extra length can be accommodated.
For those seeking maximum mobile performance through the HF ranges, the model PERTH offers the highest performance. It has a 4 foot shaft with a 3 foot stinger and its performance from 75 through 10 meters is truly outstanding as it is optimized for HF operation. All Outbacker models are designed for severe weather and mobile vibration applications and offer years of trouble free service.

PERTH PLUS Instructions

Outbacker North America, Inc.
214 Second Street
Manchester, KY 40962
jfburns@windstream.net

KH6DC Rating: 1/5 Sep 11, 2010 15:44 Send this review to a friend
Save Your Money  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok antenna. Low signal out on 2m to local repater with lots on noise on my tranmission. When switched to the Larsen glass mount dual bander, full quieting and high signal. HF it's a waste of time. I get a 22 report checking into the local inter-island net. When I switch to a 40m Hamstick, my signal's changed to 59+20. Convenient band switching but no worth the high price. It's now my son's pretend fishing pole. Now my HQ Screwdriver antenna, that's a different level altogether.

WY3X Rating: 1/5 Sep 11, 2010 07:34 Send this review to a friend
Works well, but pray it doesn't ever break!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got one of these in brand new. A couple of months later, the whip flew out on the highway somewhere. You can't buy the correct replacement whip from Outbacker, they simply aren't available. (Or at least that's what I was told by their U.S. rep. a few years ago). I tried a slightly larger whip, and had to pry the lips apart on the collet ever-so-slightly to get it to fit, and one of the prongs snapped off! Basically $350.00 flushed down the toilet. Shipping back and forth to Australia costs too much to make it worth getting fixed. I've held onto the antenna for five years hoping the parts situation would improve, but no joy. Somebody told me the U.S. rep is now Alpha-Delta, but there is no mention of Outbacker on their website. I guess it's time to pitch this white elephant in the trashcan, but I'm going to try one more time to get parts and get it repaired. -WY3X

WA2EGP Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2009 22:18 Send this review to a friend
Nice multiband mobile antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since there is no regular Perth category I'm reviewing it here.

I obtained a used Perth since too many people were hitting my bumper mounted High Sierra with their car. It came without a "stinger" so I got a piece of 3/32 stainless steel rod and used that instead. I mounted it on a ball mount with heavy duty spring on the trunk lid of my compact car.

So far, I've found it to be as good as my High Sierra. SWR is fine on 40 and up, under 1.2:1 across the phone band on 40, same across the whole band on higher bands (not quite all of 10). 75 shows normal limited bandwidth and is not quite in the phone band with the stinger in its present position. Going to use a little "shorted turn" trick to move it up so the stinger will not have to be moved for any band.

As far as those who have SWR problems, it could be due to using the wrong taps (there are two on the bottom) or forgetting to use the ground tap (it has a built in matching section). Changing the number of turns on the wander lead did not seem to change the resonance much.

Overall, it's build very well, having taken a few tree branch hits and a low drive ATM roof with no noticeable damage.

Once you get it set up, it's a great antenna to use. That's why I give it a 5. A little pricy new but I got mine used so it was reasonable for me. Hope to get the Plus soon so I can review that too.

N0AH Rating: 4/5 Jun 6, 2009 21:23 Send this review to a friend
@nd Outback FB like 1st-  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second Outback antenna. I got my first one at the Dayton convention in 1995. Lasted 8 years. This was the Outback Jr. It worked the world and so far, the Perth Plus has gotten off to a good start. First QSO from Denver was with KH6CB registering 59 and that was before I really had a chance to ground the antenna. I just ran a 1/2 inch ground strap from the car chassis to the fly lead (The antenna ground wire...not all that well explained in manual which is really so-so). Works FB. Not sure why some have complained but my guess is that they may not have extended the stinger out completely. I bought this used. Using three foot magnetic roof mount. Needs an improved manual or I would give it a 5......

WY3X Rating: 3/5 Apr 16, 2009 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Happy with it- until...  Time owned: more than 12 months
The antenna works well. I honestly have no complaints about that. What I do have a problem with is poor customer service. I called several of the dealers who sell this antenna looking for a replacement whip, and -NONE- of them have one! All of them referred me to the factory, who doesn't answer the phone- they have a ROTTEN ANSWERING MACHINE! I don't know of anyone who enjoys spending an hour on the phone looking for something you can't find! If you can't get a spare whip quickly when the one you have flies off going down the highway (rendering the antenna useless), it detracts from the value of the whole thing! If it employed a standard size whip that you could buy at Radio Shack it would improve the usability of the antenna.

SP9HZX Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2008 10:41 Send this review to a friend
13 years of using OB  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using Outbacker Perth for 13 years.
In the car,from the balcony and from the beach.
Having it on the balcony ,only 2 feet from the wall I use ATU but in the car there is no need of ATU,of course.
Very solid,rigid and well working antenna.Nothing can be damaged in it.The price..Well..

73s
Andy SP9HZX
www.qsl.net/sp9hzx

N5WRX Rating: 3/5 Mar 16, 2008 15:54 Send this review to a friend
OK but not the best  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Perth is OK but is way over priced.
As with any mobile antenna bigger is better.
ANY antenna longer than the Perth (like ham stick or hustler) will transmit a stronger signal.
That is a law of physics.
The Perth is well built and works OK but it is just not cost effective.

VK6XH Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2008 05:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Outbacker covers 80-10 mtrs plus the local Australian HF radphone frequencies and Flying Doctor frequencies too.
It works !!!
I set the whip to give best swr at 7075 and it covers ALL the other bands!!!
I use it daily and it just performs!
I've just bought a Tarheel 200hf but it will only be used when I cant risk it being stolen off the bull
bar on my car.The tarheel has the advantage of me not needing to get out of the car to change bands but the Outbacker just seems to be an ideal daily antenna.
good Antenna!!!!
73 Keith VK6XH

KA3NXN Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2007 17:41 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a 3 magnet mount on top of my Expedition. The trick is NOT to wind the wander lead tightly around the shaft. If you do this, it will introduce additional inductance to the antenna and make it almost impossible to tune. I use it with my FT-817 and worked Texas from central Virginia on battery power, which I found out if the factory setting is left in the rig it cuts back the power output to 2.5 watts to conserve battery. I also worked an EA station with this set up. Both contacts were on 20 & 17 meters respectively.