Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Outbacker Perth Plus Help

Reviews Summary for Outbacker Perth Plus
Outbacker Perth Plus Reviews: 26 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $329
Description: HF, 6m, 2m mobile antenna
More info: http://www.outbacker.com.au/mobile_vehicle-77.php

You can write your own review of the Outbacker Perth Plus.

VK6XH Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2008 05:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Outbacker covers 80-10 mtrs plus the local Australian HF radphone frequencies and Flying Doctor frequencies too.
It works !!!
I set the whip to give best swr at 7075 and it covers ALL the other bands!!!
I use it daily and it just performs!
I've just bought a Tarheel 200hf but it will only be used when I cant risk it being stolen off the bull
bar on my car.The tarheel has the advantage of me not needing to get out of the car to change bands but the Outbacker just seems to be an ideal daily antenna.
good Antenna!!!!
73 Keith VK6XH

KA3NXN Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2007 17:41 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a 3 magnet mount on top of my Expedition. The trick is NOT to wind the wander lead tightly around the shaft. If you do this, it will introduce additional inductance to the antenna and make it almost impossible to tune. I use it with my FT-817 and worked Texas from central Virginia on battery power, which I found out if the factory setting is left in the rig it cuts back the power output to 2.5 watts to conserve battery. I also worked an EA station with this set up. Both contacts were on 20 & 17 meters respectively.

K6USN Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2007 12:32 Send this review to a friend
Works well for me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have both the Outbacker Tri Split and the
Outreach models. I use them with mag mounts
for temporary mobile work (parked), and mostly for portable operations around the USA and the South Pacific. This is NOT a review of mobile performance, as I don't use them for that.

Workmanship is superb, as it should be in this price class. The Tri Split works DX from hotel balconies with ease, and breaks down for air travel to just 24 inches. The Outreach really produces DX for me! I use a small tripods for both, and some 16'4" coax braid ground leads with Anderson Power powels for mixing and matching lengths for best SWR.

The radio (and antenna) you use is the one you bring along, and I can't think of a more simple
and effective antenna in this category than the
Outbacker. I use mine with both a FT 817 and also my IC 7000 with great enjoyment.

Allen
K6USN
ZK1USN

KC5VOA Rating: 4/5 May 28, 2007 15:32 Send this review to a friend
outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hooked up the perthplus to my Icom706mkII. SWR was fine. Started at low rf pwr-Level:3 (Approx 30 watts?). From Houston area on 20 meters, I made contacts in the first 15 minutes in Ohio,L.A., Arlington VA, and Florida. I didn't have a pad in my car to write down the calls and cities, I was only testing and I never expected the antenna to perform this well. With the low pwr and transmitting from my car, I was hoping maybe Lousianna or north Texas. Not the outer-reaches of the continental U.S. Excellent investment. Working (2) jobs, Im not available to work the other bands at the proper time of day, so 20 meters is all I tested it on. That's why I'm not giving it a [5] rating. Love the ant.

NM4M Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2006 14:22 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned my PerthPlus for over 6 months now. Have used it with my SGC2020 and my LDG AT-11. It is a well built, tough antenna. I use mine with a magnet mount on my truck. I have made several contacts to the Virgin Islands, running only 20 watts. I would recomend it because all the bands are on one, low profile antenna. Gene NM4M

KE4AMQ Rating: 0/5 Feb 27, 2006 17:08 Send this review to a friend
junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
this is the second outbacker i purchased i didnt like the first but i did it again,,i guess um just stupid..i will try some of the suggestions i read in the reviews, but i dont believe there will be any changes in my ideas about this junk antenna. its a great design if it worked...

W5LXG Rating: 0/5 Nov 13, 2005 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Miserable performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been ham 47 yrs. Experienced with Hamsticks and Hustlers. Always looking for better antennas...Perth was NOT. Struggled to achieve decent SWR on various bands. Always had to slide the stinger whip to different lengths on different bands.After achieving a degree of low SWR,bandwidth was shorter and reports poor. Find Hamsticks best of all...easily adjustable, low SWR attainable and bandwidth as advertised.The sales price is unbelieveable. If you don't want single band antenna, buy screwdriver type, NOT AD Perth!

N2GDU Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2005 15:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna - Five Star  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the outbacker perth plus and the matching tripod from a friend of mine. Had it now for two years. It worked just fine, mostly using 40 & 20 meters for contacts here in the US. Just had only a few European contacts. Always set up with the tri pod on a grassy area hooked up with RG8X coax to my 706,and gel cell 27ah battery power. Used it on field days and lighthouse events. It worked ok but needed to take it off line and switched to a G5RV with much better results.
Then I read the previous posting by K3GO..... DO NOT WRAP THE JUMPER WIRE Round and Round the antenna body. Just have a turn or two and let it hang loose. When you wrap it 4-8 turns to LOOK NICE you in effect add inductance and CHANGE the tuning of the antenna.
*******************************
I read it and took his advice and he is 100% correct... IT IMPROVED THE PREFORMANCE TEN FOLD!!! The antenna NOW WORKS GREAT !!! Now... I can easily work Europe here at my NY State QTH and got a 57 from a Japan station and a 58 from an Alaskan station. So take it from John K3GO and now me ...... Just remember to leave the jumper wire turns out of it!!(use less turns), and you will get NICE flat SWR curves and great performance.

73 Luke N2GDU

K3GO Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2004 20:16 Send this review to a friend
MOST EXCELLENT Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Perth Plus is a delight to operate. Breaks pileups mobile in the car over base station operators on 17 meters. I have played with the hustler sticks, and have conclusively proved that the Perth Plus is about 1 s unit higher than the Hustler Hygain sticks( I have old & new ones.) The Perth Plus works all over the US, S.A., Africa, Europe with no problem. Easy to adjust and quick to set up & take down.
I learned one thing. One of the reviewers ( who did not even have the plus) clearly did not understand his antenna. One of the IMPORTANT facts you must do IS NOT WRAP THE JUMPER WIRE Round and Round the antenna body. Just have a turn or two and let it hang loose. When you wrap it 4-8 turns to LOOK NICE you in effect add inductance and CHANGE the tuning of the antenna. If anyone reading this learns from this what I have learned you will enjoy the Perth Plus even more and find you have to adjust the whip on top even less. Just remember to leave the jumper wire turns out of it!!(use less turns), and you will get NICE flat SWR curves and great performance.

Great antenna. Highly recommended. Run it with a Comet 740 EXTRA Heavy duty lip mount.

Best regards
C U on the bands
de K3GO, John

W8AD Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2003 14:54 Send this review to a friend
Terrific DX performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just by way of an update on what kind of DX results I'm getting with my Outbacker Perth. I've worked over 100 DXCC countries with it, both SSB and CW, including some DXpedition pile-ups. Just for fun, I worked the last ARRL CW DX contest on 40 meters, since that band is usually tough for small antennas. Absolutely amazed at the great results--didn't miss one station, Asia or Europe!

Jim, WB4ILP tried 20 watts from a mag mount on his Tahoe with the Perth and worked all over Asia, with JA's calling him. Now, of course it depends on time of day, bands and conditions but the Perth has turned in some great DX just playing around. Another guy reported 220 countries mobile on his, on SSB.

We do import them, but we don't build them or have any other business tie in with the company. I say this, because like a distributor we have the chance to compare just about anything to anything and the above review is just us being hams having fun with mobile stuff.