Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Outbacker Perth Plus Help

Reviews Summary for Outbacker Perth Plus
Outbacker Perth Plus Reviews: 26 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $329
Description: HF, 6m, 2m mobile antenna
More info: http://www.outbacker.com.au/mobile_vehicle-77.php

You can write your own review of the Outbacker Perth Plus.

XE1UFO Rating: 2/5 Oct 21, 2003 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Very well made, Not to hot performance-wise  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used the Perth Outbacker (not the Plus version, which adds 6 and 2 meters) for about 18 months, on the roof of a full-sized 15-passenger van. Didn’t work any DX on it. Though it is physically very well made and usefull for covering your country, for DX I have had much better results with the Hustler series. Also, I think you could buy a dozen far superior (performance- wise) HamSicks for the $300 price of this antenna. (Since you have to get out to change bands anyway ...)
I even tried using a much longer stinger to allow me the use of the next-higher band tap (less coil resistance loss), for better effeciency, but results were still pretty poor.
Go rid of it. The poor guy I sold it to is now also trying to sell it. I told him I didnīt like it, but he insisted on buying it ...

K3CDQ Rating: 3/5 Aug 13, 2003 20:09 Send this review to a friend
Disappointment in the Perth  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is on the Perth, not the Plus, since I could not find where to list a comment on the Perth.

On a recent trip from Maryland to Nashville, and then back, five days later, I used two antennas. One was the Perth and the other a Hustler, center loaded antenna that I have had for twenty-five years. I have had it so long that I am not sure what it is but if I recall right it is a RM20.

I went to Nashville with the Hustler on the roof of a Ford Explorer and the Perth on the left rear bumper. Every qso that was 59 on the Hustler, was 55 on the Perth. Coming back from Nashville, I put the Perth on the roof and the Hustler on the bumper. Again, anything that was 59 on the Hustler, was 56 or 55 on the Perth. Seemed that no matter what I did, the Hustler outperformed the Perth.

Any comments from anyone would be appreciated because I wanted the Perth, which I recently purchased, to be better, but it was not.

NW0LF Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2002 19:46 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Actually, I have the Perth, not the Perth Plus. I use it with an ICOM 706 in my 2001 Cavalier. Worked Berlin, Germany last Saturday on 20M SSB! Grounding is EVERYTHING!! I have zero ignition noise and have no need for filters, chokes, etc. I use a GLA Industries(Texas Bugcatcher) quick disconnect for easy on/off when necessary. I play mostly on 75, 40 and 20 Meters and would recommend this antenna( and I do, every chance I get!)to anyone. I don't really feel that stopping to change bands is an inconvenience, as I normally don't, just work the band I decide before going mobile, most of the time. Buy it, you'll like it!

73, and catch you mobile!!
Tom, K9WLF/4

N2CTZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2002 11:40 Send this review to a friend
works and rugged construction  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
replaced the yaesu at100 system with this antennae after at100 kept malfunctioning-am sending yaesu my antennae back to fix. this antennae is solid and simple to use and maybe i will just stick to it

VK2NEW Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2001 01:31 Send this review to a friend
First Impressions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first impressions on my new Terlin Outbacker 'Perth-Plus' antenna.
This antenna has to be seen to be beleived. The workmanship and hardware/connections are first class, and you can see this antenna is made for the Australian Outback.
First the antenna is made from a thick flexible fibreglass core and is then hand wound with a thick copper wire, then each silver plated band sockets is hand tuned. After the wire and band taps have been set the complete antenna is coated with clear epoxy resin. After the resin has been applied a coloured layer of black polyurethane (not heatshrink) has been added for complete protection against the elements of nature. It is also noted that all fittings are solid brass, silver and nickel plated and the mounting stud which is a standard 3/8" by 24tpi is stainless steel.
As most Amateurs would know this antenna has separate taps for Amateur bands 80metres-2metres and a wander lead is used for band changing. I will give an update performance of this antenna in the near future and this would have to be the best made mobile/portable antenna I have seen and owned.
I would like to say that I am no way affiliated with the Terlin company, I am just a satisfied customer.
Anthony, VK2NEW

KB4TWN Rating: 4/5 Nov 14, 2000 16:29 Send this review to a friend
It's simple, and rugged  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have an Outbacker Perth Plus on my Truck connected to my Icom 706mkii. The performance of this antenna is very good. Plus it's gone through parking garages and under tree limbs without breaking. It's also a nice little portable antenna. I sometimes take it on trips and use it on balconies and windows of hotel rooms with very good results. The only drawback, is that to change bands you have to change where the "Fly Lead" connects. Also, changing from HF to 6meters and 2 meters requires changing the whip, "stinger" on top.
Also, I have found that in addition to changing the fly lead tap, some bands require changing the length of the stinger. I have predetermined these locations and have marked them on the stinger with a marker.
Overall, I like the size, the ruggedness and the storage options for this antenna.