Reviews Categories | Microphones | Icom HM-36 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom HM-36
Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $74.95
Description: Hand Mic with IC-7200

You can write your own review of the Icom HM-36.

KB4VVE Rating: 3/5 Nov 14, 2014 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Simple fix for Chinese HM-36  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got the Chinese mic with my IC-7200 and it did not sound good. The Japanese version from my IC-746Pro worked fine on the IC-7200.
Digging into the mics show that the Japanese version used a three lead element with the power being separate. The Chinese version (newer) uses a two lead element.
The Mic line is powered thru a 1 K resistor in the IC-7200 and there is a 27K resistor inline with a .22uf cap in parrallel (page 11 in Op Manual).
Too low a voltage getting to the element. Changed the 27K to a 4.7K and the mic came alive.
$0.03 and all fixed. Sounds great, tons of level, good clarity. Everything else is now controlled thru the DSP with fine results.
Dumb move by somebody, though on an otherwise great radio.
Greg Bunting, KB4VVE

K7JQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2014 16:14 Send this review to a friend
Good reports  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got the Chinese version with my IC-7600. I use the Heil PR-781 normally, and a Heil Pro Set Elite 6 for contests. The HM-36 was in its box for over a year, and one day decided to try it out. Well, in A-B tests with the PR-781, most folks could hardly tell the difference, with some actually preferring the HM-36! Go figure.

W2DI Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2014 09:38 Send this review to a friend
China version works for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased an IC-718. I received the HM-36 (China). Using it for several contacts and asking about the audio, the replies were all good.
I then ran some A-B tests with the HM-36, a 600ohm dynamic 'shack' mic (a small size microphone) and the Heil Pro Elite headset, with the HM-6 element.
In both cases the HM-36, was the preferred mic, being clearer and crisper than the other units.
In fairness to the Heil which was called 'mushy,' the #6 element is designed to articulate more lows, but the '718 does not have an equalizer to tailor the audio to the best sound..
Everything was with the compressor on..
My next step is to use a much larger dynamic mic, the RS 3303043, 600ohm mic on a desk stand. I think its flat response and 600ohm impedance, that matches the 718 audio mic input, will work well. But we'll see.
In any case, the HM-36, China version has not been criticized in any way, for me.
Also, I recently removed some of the foam that was stuffed into the element hole and replaced it with about 1/4 of the amount. I don't know if this improved anything or not.
While taking the mic apart, I was surprised at the seemingly good build quality.
Thanks for reading.

G3RCE Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2014 02:51 Send this review to a friend
Japanese HM36 is very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
the Japanese version is as good as my SM-20 and more convenient!
Shame about all the useless Chinese copies!

KI6OSH Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2014 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine is made in Japan, so that may be the difference. Received with the radio when new, looked like it was used but works as it should. I use it as much as the SM-20 desk mike, just like the ability to move around while talking. I don't use any compression on my Icom 746 Pro.

KC2QYM Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2014 07:07 Send this review to a friend
The Japanese Original is Tops  Time owned: more than 12 months
This mic is actually two mics even though Icom insists on calling it the HM-36. Earlier Japanese made HM-36s are awesome with Icoms; no need to upgrade to any other mic unless you must have a boom or desk mic. The poor guys that got stuck with the Chinese made HM-36 can upgrade through some service or just buy another mic. You see guys selling the Chinese mics all the time and very few sell the Japanese HM-36. Anyway, I get great unsolicited audio reports using the Japanese mic with my IC-756; also got good reports when I had my 718. I have recently been experimenting with dynamic studio mics that interface via XLR connectors and although those mics are good I always go back to the HM-36 Japan.

N8YQX Rating: 2/5 Nov 12, 2014 21:13 Send this review to a friend
Piece of junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
This review is for the "Made in China" variant.

I've received multiple negative signal report with this microphone. Not much improvement even after tweaking the talk bandwidth, EQ curve, etc.

Replacing with an aftermarket microphone improved the signal report significantly, even with a flat EQ setting.

As a side note, HM-12, which looks very similar in dimension and shape, sounds awesome.

K1WJ Rating: 4/5 Nov 12, 2014 10:07 Send this review to a friend
Fair No Comp. / Good with Comp.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Stock HM-36 hand mic lacks drive, to make better on IC-7200 set mic gain to 100% and Comp. at 5. I have recieved great audio reports with this setup. With this mic you must use Comp. to get it to drive the radio correctly. There is a mod for this mic that is quite popular, but I have had nothing but good clear correctly driven audio, again mic gain at 100 comp at 5. I rate this mic as good because with the above setup settings on IC-7200, performance is Good.