Reviews Categories | Microphones for ham radio | Icom HM-36 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom HM-36
Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $74.95
Description: Hand Mic with IC-7200

You can write your own review of the Icom HM-36.

G4VRR Rating: 2/5 Mar 2, 2018 15:25 Send this review to a friend
Poor Quality  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a review of the Chinese variant of the microphone rather than the earlier Japanese model. I found that following online hints to crank the microphone gain and max out the speech processor on my ICOM IC-7200, I still couldn't manage to drive the ALC sufficiently, even using close mic technique.

I dismantled the hapless item with a view to performing any one of the various modifications that have been documented on the internet. I was shocked at the shoddy array of cheap plastic tat that collapsed on the bench before my eyes. Icom hang your collective heads in shame for including this junk with your high quality equipment. I purchased a second user Japanese HM36 from eBay and it was immediately obvious that ICOM's value engineering was a pointless exercise. The Japanese microphone completely trounces the bean counting Chinese afterthought both in fjnction and in tactile quality. If it had functioned as it was no doubt intended to do, I would have retained an open mind. Instead, I filed it under "B" for "Bin".
PA3GEG Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2017 16:00 Send this review to a friend
HM 36 china great Mike  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am using a China HM 36 now since oktober 2015 from a new Icom 7600 ( had to wait for it because it was on its way from Icom Company to Europe). I Always had good reports with my MD 200 yaesu with ft 2000 but switching over to Icom 7600 with the HM 36 my reports were, super , superb, amazing BBC quality ( what ever that means). I did not a lot changing settings only put treble and base to 4. I like to work with a deskmike, but I did not try it because I am afraid losing this good reports. Great Mike some videos are on you tube of guys who have recorded me. if you like to look them up, look after date oktober 2015 previous mike was FT2000 with MD200. EXAMPLE
KB4VVE Rating: 3/5 Nov 14, 2014 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Simple fix for Chinese HM-36  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got the Chinese mic with my IC-7200 and it did not sound good. The Japanese version from my IC-746Pro worked fine on the IC-7200.
Digging into the mics show that the Japanese version used a three lead element with the power being separate. The Chinese version (newer) uses a two lead element.
The Mic line is powered thru a 1 K resistor in the IC-7200 and there is a 27K resistor inline with a .22uf cap in parrallel (page 11 in Op Manual).
Too low a voltage getting to the element. Changed the 27K to a 4.7K and the mic came alive.
$0.03 and all fixed. Sounds great, tons of level, good clarity. Everything else is now controlled thru the DSP with fine results.
Dumb move by somebody, though on an otherwise great radio.
Greg Bunting, KB4VVE
K7JQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2014 16:14 Send this review to a friend
Good reports  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got the Chinese version with my IC-7600. I use the Heil PR-781 normally, and a Heil Pro Set Elite 6 for contests. The HM-36 was in its box for over a year, and one day decided to try it out. Well, in A-B tests with the PR-781, most folks could hardly tell the difference, with some actually preferring the HM-36! Go figure.
W2DI Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2014 09:38 Send this review to a friend
China version works for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased an IC-718. I received the HM-36 (China). Using it for several contacts and asking about the audio, the replies were all good.
I then ran some A-B tests with the HM-36, a 600ohm dynamic 'shack' mic (a small size microphone) and the Heil Pro Elite headset, with the HM-6 element.
In both cases the HM-36, was the preferred mic, being clearer and crisper than the other units.
In fairness to the Heil which was called 'mushy,' the #6 element is designed to articulate more lows, but the '718 does not have an equalizer to tailor the audio to the best sound..
Everything was with the compressor on..
My next step is to use a much larger dynamic mic, the RS 3303043, 600ohm mic on a desk stand. I think its flat response and 600ohm impedance, that matches the 718 audio mic input, will work well. But we'll see.
In any case, the HM-36, China version has not been criticized in any way, for me.
Also, I recently removed some of the foam that was stuffed into the element hole and replaced it with about 1/4 of the amount. I don't know if this improved anything or not.
While taking the mic apart, I was surprised at the seemingly good build quality.
Thanks for reading.
G3RCE Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2014 02:51 Send this review to a friend
Japanese HM36 is very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
the Japanese version is as good as my SM-20 and more convenient!
Shame about all the useless Chinese copies!
KI6OSH Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2014 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine is made in Japan, so that may be the difference. Received with the radio when new, looked like it was used but works as it should. I use it as much as the SM-20 desk mike, just like the ability to move around while talking. I don't use any compression on my Icom 746 Pro.
KC2QYM Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2014 07:07 Send this review to a friend
The Japanese Original is Tops  Time owned: more than 12 months
This mic is actually two mics even though Icom insists on calling it the HM-36. Earlier Japanese made HM-36s are awesome with Icoms; no need to upgrade to any other mic unless you must have a boom or desk mic. The poor guys that got stuck with the Chinese made HM-36 can upgrade through some service or just buy another mic. You see guys selling the Chinese mics all the time and very few sell the Japanese HM-36. Anyway, I get great unsolicited audio reports using the Japanese mic with my IC-756; also got good reports when I had my 718. I have recently been experimenting with dynamic studio mics that interface via XLR connectors and although those mics are good I always go back to the HM-36 Japan.
N8YQX Rating: 2/5 Nov 12, 2014 21:13 Send this review to a friend
Piece of junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
This review is for the "Made in China" variant.

I've received multiple negative signal report with this microphone. Not much improvement even after tweaking the talk bandwidth, EQ curve, etc.

Replacing with an aftermarket microphone improved the signal report significantly, even with a flat EQ setting.

As a side note, HM-12, which looks very similar in dimension and shape, sounds awesome.
K1WJ Rating: 4/5 Nov 12, 2014 10:07 Send this review to a friend
Fair No Comp. / Good with Comp.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Stock HM-36 hand mic lacks drive, to make better on IC-7200 set mic gain to 100% and Comp. at 5. I have recieved great audio reports with this setup. With this mic you must use Comp. to get it to drive the radio correctly. There is a mod for this mic that is quite popular, but I have had nothing but good clear correctly driven audio, again mic gain at 100 comp at 5. I rate this mic as good because with the above setup settings on IC-7200, performance is Good.