Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-991/991A Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-991/991A
Yaesu FT-991/991A Reviews: 139 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $1699.95
Description: The FT-991 is the next generation in all mode, all band MF/HF/VHF/UHF
transceiver with C4FM (System Fusion) Digital capability. The FT-991
includes multi-mode operation on CW, AM, FM, SSB, and Digital Modes
(Packet, PSK31, RTTY and C4FM), with 100 Watts of HF/50mhz Capability
(50 Watts VHF/UHF). High-resolution full color 3.5" TFT Touch panel for
superior operability and visibility, High Speed Spectrum scope with ASC
(Automatic Spectrum-scope control) built right in. Internal High Speed
Automatic Antenna Tuner included in the package.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=D24F60F33816ED8BE5568D7E2B5E2131&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-991/991A.

KC2GUY Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2017 16:22 Send this review to a friend
Best Yaesu Small Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought the 991A after hearing stellar reviews from 3 well-seasoned ham members of my evening net. I have a Yaesu FTDX 3000 and an ICOM 7300. I wanted another smaller radio. I took the leap. I think it's fair to compare the 7300 and 991A, side by side with the same outboard, Fostex studio monitor speakers and with the same and different settings and modes.

After a week or so, of using them side by side, here are my findings:

Clearly, to me and others in the room, the Yaesu had far far superior audio in SSB, even though it's bandwidth maxes out at 3200 wide. The proper use of its unique CONTOUR setting gives a very pleasant sound that is not fatiguing. On the other hand, after listening to the 7300, and even trying to adjust the receive for best sound, with its treble and base settings, the sound was riddled with digital artifacts, sounding harsh and hollow. Noise reduction was clearly superior in the 991A. Winner in SSB quality sound is YAESU 991, by far..no contest.

The width and shift adjustments, and blocking ability, while playing with both radio's IPO's and RF gain and other settings was about equal...no clear winner here. I know Sherwood gives the nod to the Icom 7300, however, the Yaesu was not tested at all different IPO settings in this category.

For digital modes, the ICOM has a better scope and also the menus are a bit easier to use....just a bit.

Final analysis, SSB YAESU, Digital modes, ICOM.

Summary: I consider the Yaesu 991A to be the better of the two radios.

I have decided to use the Yaesu for all SSB use and some digital. I am using the Icom solely for digital. The ICOM may not be long for my shack.

All told, the Yaesu 991A seems to be the best value and performs far better than expected. A great, small, even portable radio at a very fair price. It's staying in my shack !
One more thing, did I mention all mode UHF/VHF... To quote another ham, "it's a killer there" Spectacular on sideband as well as FM. I have a Diamond X-300, and now the Yaesu 991A has replaced
my UHF/VHF radio on my desk.

Well done Yaesu, you got it right with the 991A.

AH6DX Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2017 11:52 Send this review to a friend
A definite "keeper"  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Originally had 991, but sold to get 991A mainly for real-time pan adapter. BOTH radios performed/perform above expectations and all reports have been favorable. I also like that both radios have C4FM/Wires-X built in, and the front panel backlighting is great!

Since we have had two of these 991's and give them both a 9+ of 10 overall, it's hard to understand some of the "issues" posted by others.....

Tommy KH6TA
Hawaiian Islands DX Club
South Point, Hawaii

N6PET Rating: 0/5 May 8, 2017 10:09 Send this review to a friend
Worst Yaesu product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After 2 years of dozens of firmware updates and bug attempted fixes, this model is by far the buggiest and most unreliable modern transceiver that Yaesu has ever manufactured. First let's address the most common problems that until today still has not been addressed by Yaesu:

1) Finals burning out - reports has been pouring in that a batch of the none A version has cost many customers $$ with unexplained burning out of their finals.

2) Inconsistent power output on HF SSB - can be fixed by restarting the radio but still needs to be addressed.

3) ATU glitch - this has been a problem since conception and until today no fix has been done addressing not only how ATUs has also contributed in burned finals and but also stops working intermittently until reset.

4) ALC Problem and HF PA Issue (2+ years issue):

5) Pre Amp 1 always requires to be on/ IPO not working. Turning this off will make your radio deaf. I compared this with my other 2 HF ( FT450 & IC7300). While a station is coming in at S9+10 on both these radios without any preamps, FT991 has no signal reading and Q2 audio receive of station. Only if you turn on AMP1 that the station can be heard at S7.

6) Inaccurate SWR reading on 70cm and 2m - SWR shoots up when power is over 5W. (ie. 1.3:1 SWR at 5W is 3:1 SWR at 25W)

The lists goes on and on and all you need to do is either YouTube or Google "FT-991 problems" and you will get over 506 thousand search results of articles mentioning problems with this radio. But it does not end there.

The design and UI (User Interface) is badly engineered. Yaesu tries to integrate their old design with modern technology. Instead of making the UI work easier for the user, they made users learn how their engineers want you to use the radio in the most tedious and complicated way. Menu got more complicated or as disorganized as it has always been, and hidden. After weeks of getting used to how the radio is designed, will make you think differently how unconventional and badly designed this radio is.

I bought this radio because of the hype and maybe same reason most of us had - Modern All Band plus Fusion. This is a clear example of quantity vs. quality.

I strongly recommend getting the iCom IC-7300. You will be disgusted with this radio as soon as you get your hands on the 7300. I have both and only use my FT-991 for Fusion and SSB 2m and nothing else.

GW4DVB Rating: 4/5 May 7, 2017 00:51 Send this review to a friend
Nice Rig !!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my FT-991 for 8 months and decided to upgrade to 991A - Expensive upgrade but I am very pleased with the results. Generally the rig performs well and has a better (easier to use) Noise Reduction system than my Elecraft K3. The integrated digi-mode capability enable even the most unadventurous to play with these modes very easily.Recently the rig has developed an internal ATU fault which has meant a trip back to Yaesu for repair. Overall a nice rig.

K9AFB Rating: 4/5 Apr 29, 2017 17:36 Send this review to a friend
Like it but..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
How do you get the MD-100A8X Desk Mic working with it? and it aint that reserves cord thing...everyone said it worked on the 991, but I have the 991A

W6CAW Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2017 08:47 Send this review to a friend
Good thing I waited  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good thing I waited till the "A" model? Working great in all ways. Replaced my FT-897D

G4RNI Rating: 4/5 Apr 1, 2017 07:33 Send this review to a friend
Getting better BUT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I’ve reviewed the FT-991 before and rated it a 3 but since a few improvements I am now prepared to rate it a 4. These include it talking to FTRESTORE and associating memory tags with the memory contents.

If the following niggles could be ironed out, I’d even consider rating it a FIVE!

That damned MT mode!!! I select a memory then select MCH on the screen and I can channel hop memories. GREAT! If however, I inadvertently touch almost anything and haven’t remembered to first press LOCK, the thing leaps into MT (memory tune) mode. Touching the clicky knob without realising my earlier, accidental, feather touch of say the tuning knob now presents me with the memory list in the bottom half of the screen.
I now have to either wait for the (seemingly useless as you can’t seem to select an actual memory from it and do anything useful except accidentally ERASE it) memory list to vanish again or press V/M then scroll through the screen until I find MCH again, then as I press it, if I accidentally touch the main tuning knob, off we go again in MT mode!!!
So, can YAESU please come up with a firmware mod that will do the following??
1) Have the memories locked by default so they cannot be “tuned” unless “MT” is enabled in a menu. That way, I could listen to a memory, say a beacon, try a different mode, say USB instead of CW and not be annoyed that it has decided I want to come out of memory operation and have to button press all over the front to get back again!

2) Have a M>V function enabled so that the memory contents can be transferred to the VFO. One can then play with the frequency, bandwidth all manner of things without the thing leaping into that horrible MT mode. To date, I can’t find any way of transferring the memory details to VFO and MT mode is just not my bag.
If they’d do those things I’d be a happy lad but as it stands, the 991 still has these “overly helpful annoyances” that spoil what should be and could be a BIG FIVE!!!

VK3ZAZ Rating: 3/5 Mar 19, 2017 22:49 Send this review to a friend
Jury is out  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Radio just back from Yaesu Japan after the upgrade at Au$600.
PROS
Packing Good.
Screen and display plastic protection.
New plastic packing bag.
CON
Main V01-08 26th Feb not done why not?
No new handbook had to download the files to supplement my old book, one would think for the cost we would score a new handbook.
LCD V01-01 in.
Initial Impressions
Spectrum scope in Auto Mode very low in gain like the display on the DMU200 even on 40M had to turn amp on the lift tiny display above base line.
I am so over the lack of spectral display in Yaesu products this past five years like pulling teeth out to get any sort of decent display.
Programming.
Main V01-08 easy as per instructions.
Software menu not so easy.
Now starts the issue of communicating with the 991A as per the 991 a bit tricky until you know how to do it, and it was so tricky last time it took ages, so I haven't uploaded my saved configuration files yet.
Initial reaction at $600 on top of the $1200 radio buy a 991A or don't bother.
Save your money.
Quite a few FT991 models coming up for sale in VK between $1000 and $1200.
If I change my mind will be first to admit.
Early days yet.

KC4BW Rating: 4/5 Mar 3, 2017 10:07 Send this review to a friend
No problems with my unit  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my 2nd review of the FT-991. I have had no problems in the first 6 months. I use the radio mainly on 17m, 6m, and 2m.
I am still rating the unit at 4 due to the reasons I gave in my first review, otherwise the radio works fine. I don't have any complaints.
I have heard since Yaesu put the "A" model on the market the resale value of the 991 has dropped quite a bit. That doesn't bother me because I didn't buy the radio to sell it. I bought it to keep it and use it. It makes no difference to me if the value goes up or down. So there you have it.
73, Ted

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2017 15:25 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for my needs almost!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Brought the Yaesu FT991 at Black Friday Sale 2016 been using the radio on 10m-2m and 440 , had the FT857 before this radio. In my view this is a big step up the ladder with great audio on receive,
its easy to use the audio on transmit is very good using the stock
mic, to say I am happy is an understatement. Called Yaesu this morning an asked about upgrading the radio to a FT991A, they put me on a list which is very long at this time, they will call me 2 weeks before my number comes up, then the turn around time would be around 2 weeks, I am all in on doing so, this radio is such nice fit for what I use the radio for................kb6hrt