Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-991/991A Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-991/991A
Yaesu FT-991/991A Reviews: 153 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $1699.95
Description: The FT-991 is the next generation in all mode, all band MF/HF/VHF/UHF
transceiver with C4FM (System Fusion) Digital capability. The FT-991
includes multi-mode operation on CW, AM, FM, SSB, and Digital Modes
(Packet, PSK31, RTTY and C4FM), with 100 Watts of HF/50mhz Capability
(50 Watts VHF/UHF). High-resolution full color 3.5" TFT Touch panel for
superior operability and visibility, High Speed Spectrum scope with ASC
(Automatic Spectrum-scope control) built right in. Internal High Speed
Automatic Antenna Tuner included in the package.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=D24F60F33816ED8BE5568D7E2B5E2131&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-991/991A.

AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2017 12:05 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RADIO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using this great radio for one month now and my review will be a comparison with my previous radio that I used for a whole year, the exelent IC-7300.
1- Ergonomic speaking although the IC7300 is a more attractive radio,the FT991A performs better is some functions. The menu of the 7300 is not so extensive than the 991A but again there are more parameters to adjust in this Yaesu radio.I feel more confortable operating the 991A because its easy way to set things.
2-Receiver.
My surprise has been to find that the 991A ia less noisy than the 7300, most of the time I can pull weak stations from within the band noise when I can't do it with the 7300.
One function that for me is really outstanding in this 991A is the DNR called NR in the 7300, its amazing how well it cleans a noisy band and makes the voice of the station talking so clear as if he be on FM, it absolutely clean all the noise and it won't need to be so aggressive, I set mine on 3. The noise blanker on both radios work the same and won't distord at all the received audio.
The audio quality on the 7300 is slightly better than the 991A specially in the low end response but on the high end both respond equally.
The 991A is super sensitive so I have never need to engage preamp 1 neither 2, same performance on the 7300.
The filtering is great as well, it has a fixed not switchable 3 KHz roofing filter for SSB/CW that together with the well designed DSP will be able to hear weak stations close to strong signals using the Bandwith setting and moving the Shift, in this point I can not find any difference between these two radios.
I do work a lot of CW and I feel very confortable operating the 991A better than the 7300 although I am missing the CW automatic tune to be on the same freq the other station, the 991A don't have that useful function.For my old ears the sound of the 991A on CW is more clear than the 7300 so I can be wearing for longer time the headphones even with narrow BW as 100 Hz without any ringing noise.
Transmitter
1- For the ones who loves to be on ESSB, good news, this 991A can go down to 70 Hz and up to 3100 Hz, in this the 7300 goes down to 40 and up to 2900 Hz, to achieve these wide BW with the 991A you will have available three very good parametric mic equalizers in wich you are able to set the frequency, level and BW of each one something that is been already a tradition on all Yaesu radios since the FT990,FT2000, etc.
I found the MD100 to be the best sounding mic to use with my 991A after testing some.
Something I do not like is the missing knob or control to adjust the TX power output, you have to find it within the long menu and assign it to the key labeled CS.
The VOX works perfect as the 7300 as well, is very sensitive.
The monitor sounds real good,I will say almost identical to my own voice after I hear me in other radio so they have corrected the "fake" audio response in previous radios as in the FT2000, this time you can trust in what you hear.
Something I have noticed is that to make my solid state amp (ALS1300) 1200W I need 50W in the IC7300 but to make same PEP power in the FT991A I have to set it to 60W so it look like the peak power in the 991A is lower and there is no way to change any parameter like a in the 7300.
In general I am very pleased with the performance in HF of this FT991A. I have not test yet the VHF/UHF section of this radio for not having yet any outside antenna. That will be a future review.
Kudos to Yaesu for having made an excellent radio for an affordable price.

Hector
AD4C

M0HSG Rating: 4/5 Oct 31, 2017 05:31 Send this review to a friend
Firmware Issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would just like add to my comments below as per 30th October. I tried a newer laptop that correctly downloaded the latest TFT firmware revision proving that the Yaesu website has the correct software revisions. It looks as though my existing laptop needs to have some MS software installed first before the firmware can be downloaded. It does state this on the Yaesu website which I neglected to read first. I would add however that the TFT firmware is not the easiest of the 3 types to download into the transceiver.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2017 09:13 Send this review to a friend
It's BETTER yet!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Brought a FT991 on Black Friday 2016 when the FT991A had just came out, thought I was going to use the radio for UHF/VHF only and the radio worked just fine for that, first part of 2017 started thinking a full time scope would be nice, called Yaesu an they put me on a list about 2+ month long, Yaesu would call me 2 weeks before the radio could be worked on, after 3 months not hearing from Yaesu went to HRO traded it for the 991A, now 6 months later am so happy I did, because the 991A is a dream using, I am an old guy, love this radio! The incoming audio is a pleasure to listen to, output audio is very good with stock mic. Using headphone you hear everything with little to no background noise. a real + an the touchscreen seams better than the 991s. it hear distant stations clearly to my ear...............
....................kb6hrt

WM4RB Rating: 4/5 Oct 24, 2017 06:39 Send this review to a friend
PA Failed Twice  Time owned: more than 12 months
Before the warranty expired on my FT-991 the PA failed twice. Yaesu fixed it right away both times but neither time admitted the radios where having any PA problems. Radio has been working great ever since the last repair. I like the radio and use it a lot.

Mike, WM4RB

W7PM Rating: 2/5 Oct 23, 2017 19:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio with terrible problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
After a few months in the shack, my Ft-991 (Original) PA died. Out of warranty by a few months. There were a bunch of original FT-991's that failed. I sure wished Yaesu would have extended our 1 yr warranty to the three year warranty the FT-991A comes standard with.
I'm surprised there isn't a class action suit started for all the FT-991 owners with PA and tuner failers, or is there?

K5OUI Rating: 4/5 Oct 2, 2017 09:03 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the FT 991 as they were being closed out by all the dealers. Got a very good deal with all the rebates. The 991A has the real time scope but I really don't feel like I missed out. I am brand new to amateur radio and this was my first purchase.

I have been very happy, no major issues, as I have worked both VHF/UHF and HF with great success. I use HRD and there have been a couple of times I had to do a hard reset because my wattage output seem to lock on a specific value, but I think it is more of an issue with HRD and CAT software.

I have been real happy working digital and all the menu setup options available. It took some googling to figure them out but very flexible on my needs once I understood where to set all the values.

All-in-all I would buy this radio again with no regrets.

HA5X Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2017 05:38 Send this review to a friend
a great second radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the FT991 to replace my FT897 as my travel radio. I needed a transceiver that is small enough to fit my carry-on suitcase, yet big enough to remain operable. After having spent a few days reading reviews and watching youtube videos, I decided to go for an FT991 (non-A version) from my shortlist. Reasons? a) It cost half a radio less than the new A version or the IC7300 b) 2m + 70cm c) somewhat smaller dimensions and less weight than the IC7300 that did matter on the flight I was just preparing for.

I used the radio extensively from a DX location, working some real pileups as well as some contests. 90+% of my experience is CW, so I cannot say too much about other modes, but people seem to hear and understand me on SSB as well :)

My experience with the TCVR so far is favourable than not:

1) I like the receiver. I believe (no real tests) that it has less noise than my IC74400 (IC746Pro). From the DX QTH I heard many real QRP stations surprisingly clearly and at home I was surprised to have way less noise than what I am used to. DSP filters also work great.

2) Ergonomy. For me this is perhaps the most important quality as I usually just work contests, hunt DX and manage pileups so I usually have no time to dig into menus to set something simple. In this respect the radio is a quantum leap from the FT897. The touchscreen and the dedicated VFO A/B, SPLIT etc. buttons make handling of the radio way easier. I am not fully happy though, the display has 10+ screens/pages and although I tend to use about two only most of the time, it would be much more convenient if the operator could customise the arrangement of buttons as there are some buttons that I hardly ever use, while the ones I do use are scattered across these 10 screens. Also, the physical buttons should be made customisable, I would be happy to sacrifice memory-related buttons to things like filters, etc. Would Yaesu put the firmware into the public domain, I believe we would see a lot of alternatives from HAMs who actually use the radio. For example, I would for instance enjoy a tune button, which would reduce temporarily reduce the power and send a carrier for manual tuning.

3) USB. Compared to the FT897 (and my IC746Pro) I love that the radio has a USB port, so you only need one single USB cable and enjoy CAT control as well as a soundcard interface. A true advantage if you use the radio for travels so you save on the weight of boxes and cables! CAT control works very well compared to the FT897, and using the antenna tuner does not make you lose CAT control.

4) Looks. Well, I love the design, a true ornament of the desk :) I know many people will just laugh at the LCD saying "why you need a colour TV on a TCVR", but I love having it, it looks great and colours help decoding the information presented to you. Another feature I love is that the front panel buttons are back-lit. As I usually work at night while the family is sleeping in the same room, it is a FANTASTIC feature.

All in all, for the reduced bargain price I paid it is a very good transceiver for travels and as a second radio for the shack. It is lightyears better from all aspects than the FT897 it got to replace. The only thing I miss from the feature set of the FT897 is its (optional) internal power supply (FP30).

To say one negative. I am not 100% confident with the one multi-function knob. Not only because it is not always comfortable, but also because you tend to use it for everything so I am afraid it will not last forever. Time will tell.

GI0ZGB Rating: 4/5 Sep 6, 2017 12:12 Send this review to a friend
It Is What It Is!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Buy a new Yaesu transceiver and become an involuntary beta tester, thatís how it seems to me, and Iím sure a lot of disgruntled 991 owners. Iím thinking that Yaesu got rid of the forklift driver who designed the first horror story, and replaced him with a Ham/Engineer. Out of the box an RTFM session is required to familiarise yourself with the multi-layer menu system and discover where the hidden menu items are located. Once the suffering is done you can set about changing the default settings to enhance the overall performance. The lamentable MH-36 mic simultaneously degrades the rig and audio quality, so I binned mine and replaced it with Radiosport headphones with the dynamic element, adjusting the VOX output with the parametric eq until I got it to sound acceptable to my ears, I donít care what other ears hear!
The DSP functions are excellent, on par with other more expensive rigs, and dare I say even better, it does the job very well. It was the inclusion of C4FM Fusion that made me decide to buy, it having superior performance to Death Star and DMR, IMHO. The AM performance is just about acceptable when setup correctly, but is outperformed by common CB radios going back years. This half-hearted approach to AM is lamentable with Ham Radio manufacturers in general. SSB performance is excellent, of the highest standard as is FM. I use Fldigi for digi modes, preferring it to HRD or MiXW, it takes a little setting up though.
Overall I rate the rig 4/5 there being a few things that could be more user friendly, I live in hope.
Update: As said above I binned my MH-36E8J mic. The problem was hum on tx, despite the fact that the display ground mod was done. To eliminate the possibility of picking up interference, we headed into the sticks and tested two MH-36E8J mics. The tx hum was audible on headphones with both mics and on our friends station some miles away. IMHO the source of the hum is the display unit, and Yaesu, true to form, ran away from the problem and are still in hiding. Whilst the 991A is a fine transceiver in many respects, this issue makes sending DTMF tones unreliable and degrades the tx audio.
Not that any rig's perfect, but given the lack of customer support I can't see me buying another Yaesu product ever again.

WB4CNL Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2017 11:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got the FT-991A love it great reports on HF SSB, love the C4FM on VHF and UHF.

K4TB Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2017 18:11 Send this review to a friend
The Complete Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After lightning fried my FT-991 I just had to have the FT-991A. The addition of real-time simultaneous audio and spectrum display to the basic FT-991 design makes the FT-991A the most complete radio on the market. My FT-991A does everything I want in a radio and is particularly useful on the VHF and UHF bands, which is where I primarily use it. I also have an IC-7600 which is my primary HF rig, but the FT-991A is just as sensitive, selective, and adjustable on the HF bands as the IC-7600. The only real advantages of the Icom are the better antenna tuner, the fixed, full band spectrum display, and the antenna tuner range. The FT-991A is the most complete HF/VHF/UHF radio on the market, and if I could only own one radio, it would be the FT-991A.