Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Jetstream JT270M 2m/70cm Dual Band Amateur Transceiver Help

Reviews Summary for Jetstream JT270M 2m/70cm Dual Band Amateur Transceiver
Jetstream JT270M 2m/70cm Dual Band Amateur Transceiver Reviews: 26 Average rating: 2.9/5 MSRP: $139.95
Description: Jetstream JT270M - 2m/70cm Dual Band Amateur Transceiver. Ultra Small! 2m/70cm Dual Band Mobile 10 Watts out Only 4 3/4" x 1 1/2" x 3 3/8" super small! CTCSS/DCS Encode/Decode Built In 199 Memory Channels Transmit 400-470 MHz and 136-174 MHz Receive 400-520 MHz and 136-174 MHz Includes DTMF Microphone Made in China Comes with programming cable and software. Programming software is on a CD inside the box
More info: http://https://www.k1cra.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=JETSJT270M

You can write your own review of the Jetstream JT270M 2m/70cm Dual Band Amateur Transceiver.

KD4KLD Rating: 4/5 Oct 8, 2016 14:24 Send this review to a friend
Budget - minded dual band for mobile/base operations  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had the 25 watt Jetstream JT 270 mobile for about 7 months. Teamed with a good antenna, it has delivered with only minor bugs (no Xmit, volume/tuning control) very rarely after initial power up! (Solved by turning off or unplugging power)
For less than $100, much more effective than a mobile Yaesu HT in the auto.
Also picked up a 10 watt version for about $50 and installed as my base at home.
Quality? Ehh.. time will tell. However, for under $150, both my mobile and home ops have increased capabilities.

KD8UEI Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2016 20:44 Send this review to a friend
Nice niche radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is definitely a niche radio, but it is a good little radio for what it is which is a low power dual bander. I have a Kenwood TM-281A and that radio has 25 watts as its lowest power setting. Twenty-five watts is great for simplex, but it is too much power for local repeater work. With the 10 watts of the Jetstream, I am able to hit the repeaters in my county and in all the neighboring counties. I live in a rural area so I can't really comment on the front end, but in my area it works fine.

The radio is small. I mean tiny so it will fit anywhere. If your car has little or no space, this radio will still fit though I use mine as a base.

I won this radio in a Christmas party raffle, and I was glad to have a lower power radio. I have rated it a 5 because it has evolved into my primary radio for local repeater work.

N8RDL Rating: 0/5 Jun 7, 2016 05:49 Send this review to a friend
cannot program  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got one of these radios as part of the Hammo Can XL from Quicksilver Radio. I usually use RT Systems to program. However, whenever I tried to transmit, I got an error message. Contacting Quicksilver, I was told to try CHIRP. This also programmed the frequencies. But transmit showed nothing, not even error. The original version supposedly had a transmit range of 136 - 174mHz and 400-470mHz. Version 1.03 has a transmit range of 144 - 146 mHz and 430 - 440 mHz. My version is V1.05. Who knows what the range is for this version! I finally took the radio out and replaced it with an aging Yaesu FT-90r. This works fine.

KJ4IIB Rating: 4/5 Feb 3, 2016 13:28 Send this review to a friend
GOOD LITTLE RADIO  Time owned: months
JUST GOT MY JT270M IN THE MAIL FROM R&L ELECTRONICS.GREAT PRICE,$79.00 FREE SHIPPING.AFTER READING THE REVIEWS I WAS WORRIED ABOUT SETTING UP THE RADIO.READ OVER THE MANUEL AND GUESS WHAT, NO PROBLEM PROGRAMING IT....NOT SURE WHY THE REVIEWS ARNT HIGHER....IM NO EINSTEIN....BUT OTHER HAMS TALKED ABOUT THE NOISE,HARD PROGRAMMING,I HAD NONE OF THAT...I PROGRAMMED MINE MANUELLY,GUESS IF THEY DONT UNDERSTAND SOMETHING,ITS EASIER TO BLAME THE RADIO AND THE MANUFACTURER....GOING TO ORDER ANOTHER ONE JUST TO HAVE..TOM,KJ4IIB

WA2RUG Rating: 3/5 Jan 10, 2016 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Nich rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I cannot recommend it for serious work, but it's okay for what it is and for the price of less than a hundred bucks. PRO: very small, cheap, can Tx/Rx everywhere in and out of 2M and 440 bands like MURS, FRS, GMRS pub-serv./commercial frequencies etc. (know the rules before doing it). CON: only 10W out and receiver picks up random noise and intermod opening squelch with static bursts while driving around and even at a fixed location sometimes on some frequencies. This would probably be bad in an urban environment...I am not. It was a little tedious to program with supplied disc, but does come with cord and disc. Bottom-line, I'll keep it for my very casual use, but spend more money for more demanding needs.

KV4PD Rating: 2/5 Dec 11, 2015 04:01 Send this review to a friend
Trying to like it, but....  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought this second hand from a QTH listing with the intention of using it in a mobile situation. I agree with the other posters that the software included with it leaves much to be desired, so I finally got CHIRP to work with it and discovered that there are programming options which simply don't exist when using the supplied software. Very odd.

But, it turns out that wasn't the real problem. Either this radio does indeed have a defect or they're all this way, I don't know, but you simply can't use it in a mobile situation when the car is in motion. Sitting still is fine, but it's like it just can't handle multipath and drops out to the point that communicating with it is impossible. When I say 'drop-out', I mean the squelch pops and pops as the 'receive' LED turns on and off and it isn't in dual watch or scan mode. And this isn't necessarily in an urban environment, as I travel across rural Tennessee frequently and have found it unusable. If I switch over to an Alinco HT using the same MFJ antenna on the roof of the car, there is no problem with propagation to and from the repeaters. I was hoping for better performance, but I reckon I'll just use it in the house - or pull off the road and talk. Eh, not likely. I won't be buying another one.

N1GY Rating: 4/5 Nov 25, 2015 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
The only problems I had with the software that came with the rig were 1 you have to specify both transmit and receive frequencies (no offset setting) and 2. you have to check that the software is using the same port as the cable, this is not automatic. Since I have a desktop running Windows 8.1 and a laptop running 7 the lack of drivers for 8 is an annoyance not a deal killer. I have the radio mounted in a basket that fits on my mobility scooter, powered by two 7AH SLA batteries in parallel with an antenna mounted behind and above the seat. For public service events and as a go-kit radio it makes perfect sense. The problems some have alluded to are mostly operator error. The one caution: do not connect or disconnect anything from the radio (external speaker, mic, power, etc, while the radio is on. Turn the radio OFF, make the changes and then turn the radio back on. Not doing so will cause the radio to brick itself. The cure is to re-run the software file that returns it to factory defaults, then reprogram the radio.

WQJP566 Rating: 4/5 Nov 23, 2015 16:53 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Nice little 2m/70cm transceiver for less than $150. Puts out solid 10 watts on UHF, has a DTMF full remote microphone and can work off the cigarette lighter if needed (the supplied T plug power cord is a little light so I put in a heavier 12v lead). As with most Chinese rigs the "manual" isn't much help but it programs fine with Chirp as long as you double check everything and move the cursor to an empty channel line before saving. Im in a high RF area and it seems to reject noise fairly well. I previously had a Juentai in the mobile but replaced it with the Jetstream after experiencing the now well known noise the Juentai puts out whenever the vehicle is in motion. Not a problem with the Jetstream.
I see a lot of complaints about this radio but for me it works well.

KR2C Rating: 1/5 Nov 16, 2015 06:12 Send this review to a friend
This is a toy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio is almost completely useless where I live.

Constantly hearing comms from the public service bands on my repeater frequencies.

Had interference from the radar balloons just like WHELANJH had and I'm much further away.

Scanning would stop on distant repeaters even though I had a PL to exclude it stopping. It would however filter out the audio.

Radio was completely useless withing a 5 mile circle of an airport.

Programmed buttons did not respond occasionally.

I guess It might be good for a ham on an extreme budget or perhaps a "go kit" It's not good at all for regular use.

-Kurt
KR2C

W7GK Rating: 2/5 Nov 3, 2015 02:35 Send this review to a friend
A fair rig for the price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The little 10w rig is great for working the mountain top repeaters common in the west. Have found the receiver a bit more selective on 2 meters than my Yaesu FT-100D.

The software is straight forward and simple to use but as of 11/02/15 I would not buy one until they provide a set of drivers for the software that are compatible with Win 8.0/8.1/10. If you're still using Win 7.0 no problem.