Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Jetstream JT270M 2m/70cm Dual Band Amateur Transceiver Help

Reviews Summary for Jetstream JT270M 2m/70cm Dual Band Amateur Transceiver
Jetstream JT270M 2m/70cm Dual Band Amateur Transceiver Reviews: 26 Average rating: 2.9/5 MSRP: $139.95
Description: Jetstream JT270M - 2m/70cm Dual Band Amateur Transceiver. Ultra Small! 2m/70cm Dual Band Mobile 10 Watts out Only 4 3/4" x 1 1/2" x 3 3/8" super small! CTCSS/DCS Encode/Decode Built In 199 Memory Channels Transmit 400-470 MHz and 136-174 MHz Receive 400-520 MHz and 136-174 MHz Includes DTMF Microphone Made in China Comes with programming cable and software. Programming software is on a CD inside the box
More info: http://https://www.k1cra.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=JETSJT270M

You can write your own review of the Jetstream JT270M 2m/70cm Dual Band Amateur Transceiver.

KENWOODUSER Rating: 3/5 Oct 19, 2015 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Hmm...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, if I had to buy one new for $150 and up, I would pass.

Some Pros:
1. Small form factor
2. A claimed ~10w output
3. Computer programmable, including a LOT of flexibility in programming, such as programming radio button functions
4. Has a large amount memories

Some Cons:
1. No easy to use volume or squelch controls - an overall poor front panel interface
2. Very slow memory channel scanning
3. Regularly stops on a variety of memory channels even when no audio is present
4. Not enough front panel digits for use when naming memory channels
5. Hand mic layout is not good
6. Etc.

I also have a UV-5r, which despite the much lower power output, seems to do all of the most useful things that the Jetstream can but for substantially less money. How much is that extra power output worth to you?

It feels like a cheap radio with some annoying issues. Not having a volume (it does have volume push buttons instead) or squelch knob and the radio's channel-scanning issues are the biggest problems, IMO. Equally as annoying is that when you grasp the hand mic to transmit and attempt to use the PTT button with your index finger, your thumb naturally falls over one of the UP/DOWN buttons; you can guess what happens next.

I have a couple of other rigs that are 15-20 years old that are better overall radios but of course they don't have all of the much-needed modern features or programming ability.

If the main issues get fixed in future versions and cost remains low, then the radio earns another star. It gets 3 stars now because of its programming flexibility, which is fantastic.

IMO, for the right price, and as-is, this makes for a great little radio for experimentation and programming on a desk but not as a mobile rig.

KG9H Rating: 1/5 Sep 18, 2015 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Get what you pay for  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got mine.
Receiver is sensitive, 0.15 / 20dB
Transmitter is 8.5 watts on either band.
Transmit is 5kHz
Guess I will look into seeing if there a a PA adjustment.
I used an Aeroflex 3920B service monitor.

WHELANJH Rating: 1/5 Jul 9, 2015 13:08 Send this review to a friend
Very weak front end rejection  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Retired engineer, ham for 52 years, so I was expecting the front end of this receiver to be somewhat weak, and I expected to hear hospital pagers break through while driving by hospitals, etc. (I have suffered that experience before on other radios, and while a nuisance, it was tolerable and I expected the same on the Jetstream. )

Unfortunately, in the Washington/Baltimore area, in year 2015, there is a game-changer. The JLENS system is a national defense balloon system tethered around two miles high in the Aberdeen MD area, operating a pulse modulated transmitter on about 149.34 megahertz. Because of its operating altitude, it is line-of-sight and very strong almost everywhere. I live about 55 miles away and on two-meters my Jetstream JT270M receiver carrier squelch opens up every few seconds with the "Boop-Beep-Boppp-Boop" of JLENS transmissions.

For two-meter ham radio repeaters that transmit a CTCSS signal on the output, I am able to set the JT270M to require the presence of the continuous tone before the carrier squelch opens. That gets rid of the spurious carrier squelch openings, but the Jetstream JT270 still produces "Boop-Beep-Boppp-Boop" audio superimposed on the recovered audio when receiving an amateur repeater.

Basically, my JT270M's susceptibility to interference from out-of-band services makes me recommend against using it for two-meter work in the Washington/Baltimore area.

I have found that my JT270M does NOT suffer interference from JLENS when receiving on 450 mHz ( 70 cM band ).

Return it? NO, I will continue to suffer and live with it, maybe this experience will help me make better choices in the future :)

N8PMG Rating: 4/5 Jun 8, 2015 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Good radio for the cost  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Although I have only been using the 270M for a few hours, it has been all I had hoped for in its price range. Nothing fancy, just sensible controls that do what they should. The audio is very good for the tiny speaker, with plenty of mobile volume. I used CHIRP for the basic setup and then the Jetstream software for special settings. No surprises or problems, just results that work. Mounted in cup hold designed for tablet, but it light enough to be stable. If it works as well in 6 months, it is a "5" easily.

N4DBM Rating: 4/5 May 25, 2015 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Works well for the price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I give it a 4/5 because a 5 for me is Motorola, Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, etc. I do like using CHIRP programming with the PC. I have never used it to scan, so I can't comment on that. The CTCSS decode sometimes busts through with noise, not that often, though. The speaker tone has more low frequency response than I am used to with other rigs. I added a Motorola external speaker to use with it in my pickup so I can hear with the windows down. It's small enough and super lightweight so it can be mounted to and with just about anything. Drawing only 2 amps on high power, you can power it with nearly anything. The biggest problem I see is there is very little selectivity, especially when you're around a broadcast tower. I sometimes drive very close to an FM broadcast station running 50 KW and it causes an S9 2 meter signal to go to noise. Changing volume and frequency with the keypad is nice. I believe overall if you're not extremely hard to please it's a pretty good deal. Leixen also makes a VV-808 which is a mono-band UHF that costs about $30 less. Overall, if I needed another one, I'd purchase it again. Pair it up with the Tram dual band black 20" antenna, and it's a cheap, workable package.

WD8CYV Rating: 4/5 May 19, 2015 14:47 Send this review to a friend
works good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
bought used in excellent shape

recommend using chirp to program
as it will let you import a .csv file from other
radios ..if you live in a big city or use it as a base station do use cts tones

got it for the wife's car it fits in the dash under the am-fm radio for a very tidy install
may get an other one for the truck so i have 440
in it. handhelds are a pain with a stick shift
makes a nice radio for a bug out bag
or may try it on my daily driver motorcycle
dave wd8cyv

KT0DD Rating: 3/5 Apr 4, 2015 07:01 Send this review to a friend
RX audio issues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First, I have the Leixen V-898 version...same radio just different label.

Overall it's fair as a base station. I found a 3 amp regulated wall wart online which powers the rig fine with no supply hum. I wouldn't run it mobile unless it was in an old truck I'd use for runs to the dump a couple of times a month. No real selectivity from random mobile noise.

Scanning was my biggest issue. You have to use full encode/decode CTCSS to get rid of squelch popping noise every time it changes frequency while scanning. Also the volume control at it's lowest setting is still a little loud for having it on my nightstand in my bedroom as I do. A knob would be better than a button for volume.

For a down and dirty toy / camping / travel rig or extra rig to monitor single frequencies it does ok. How long till it blows up...who knows?

Don't expect this to be a good primary rig. If you need a good part 90 primary rig I'd look at the new Alinco DR-638 but you have to spend much more.

N3TTN Rating: 4/5 Apr 4, 2015 05:45 Send this review to a friend
A good little rig for the money.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up this little dual bander and 12 amp power supply for $180 delivered. PC programming is a breeze with the latest Chirp daily build and the supplied USB programming cable, I had over 20 repeaters programmed in to the rigs memory channels in less than 20 minutes, and that included offsets, PL tones, hi-lo power settings and everything. I have this set up in my basement office, the radio delivers 10 watts on the hi power setting and I can hit repeaters as far as 40 miles away with a simple Ed Fong J pole antenna mounted on my deck about 20 feet above ground with a 25 ft. run of RG8X coax. Signal and audio reports from every repeater I've worked have been uniformly positive in every respect. The Chinese software disk is useless, which is pretty much par for the course with Chinese radios, and the sketchy manual leaves much to be desired, but if you take your time and read thru it carefully, everything performs and functions pretty much as written. The thing could burn out and die tomorrow, and who you gonna call in Hong Kong, but thus far I'm pleased enough with the performance and features of this tiny little dual band rig, and would have no reservations about recommending it to others as a low cost entry level type radio.

N8SQT Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2015 18:30 Send this review to a friend
Nice little rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For the money, holy cow this is a great radio. I got a used (practically new) one off of QRZ. No troubles programming with CHIRP. I'm about to get another to replace the FTM-10R in my car. At least the JT270M *can* be programmed by a computer.

N4ZAW Rating: 1/5 Mar 31, 2015 10:29 Send this review to a friend
What we've got here, is failure to communicate!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Some firmware, you just can't reach.
I gave it a "1" only because it may not entirely be issues with the actual radio.
You see, I never got it operational to be able to form an opinion on that. After three days (roughly 15 man-hours total time), I have all the local repeaters in memory... Of course, it would be great if I could hear or talk on them -- but I can't. I'm pretty sure that the problem is with the firmware and software not being on speaking-terms with each other. What i DID get programmed was done by using "CHIRP", as opposed to the software with the silly, meaningless, generic user/password that comes with the rig.
BTW, the readme warns us not to install it to "C". Hmmm. I wonder why? Norton sure doesn't like it either.

I finally gave up last night. If I add my personal time wasted to the 169 bucks it cost me, I could've had a dandy little Icom dual-bander under the dash... Which is the advice I would give ANYONE contemplating buying one of these adorable little anchors for dinghies. Spend the extra money and get a radio that actually works.