Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hexbeam: G3TXQ by Textenna Help

Reviews Summary for Hexbeam: G3TXQ by Textenna
Hexbeam: G3TXQ by Textenna Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $589
Description: The Tex-Hex is a plug and play version of the G3TXQ broadband Hexagonal
design with all elements pre-tuned and packaged for ease of installation. The
antenna covers 10, 12, 15, 17 and 20 meters with an add-on kit for 6 meters.
More info: http://www.texastowers.com/texhex.htm

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam: G3TXQ by Textenna.

K0CCP Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2015 18:17 Send this review to a friend
I'm Speachless  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the TexHex Beam and it took over a month to get it into my hands, so be prepared to wait for your product. But one you get it and get it together, you will be amazed at the signal quality.

I have been using a Carolina Windom with mixed results mostly because of height issues and the inability to tune some of the bands with my LDG 200. I retired and moved 1500 miles so I sold my tower and HyGain beam and only relied on the Windom while investigating other options. I knew I did not want another tower since they have become exorbitant in cost, even for the "cheap" models. I also did not want a $2000 beam on top of the expensive tower. With the reviews on eHam.net, I decided to purchase a TexHex and a Penninger Tipper Mast system. The TexHex is light enough that it shouldn't be a problem even in my Kansas winds. I also plan to place a two bander FM yogi underneath the TexHex and OCF wire tethered to a TV tower 160 feet away to cover 40 and 80m.

Now to the TexHex. I assembled the antenna on the base of the Penninger Tipper which is about two fee off the ground. I would recommend, as does the instructions for assembly, some sort of mount since you will be crawling underneath the antenna while you are assembling it. I did not have any help and I assembled it in about two hours. Two days later, I decided to test the antenna, while it was on the ground, by pointing the open end to the SE and connecting a cable to my hamshack, all lying on the ground with no ground rod connected. I first tried 20m and there was a huge build up so I tried 17m and then 12m. On 12m I connected to a ham in San Antonio, off the side. My signal was 5x9. He said there was an event station down on the dial at Montserrat at the Leeward Islands in the Caribbean. There was a huge log jam but I was able to connect with a 5x7 signal where It was hard to hear the station for me, I was bounding into Montserrat!

Once I get the antenna up in the air, grounded and aimed, I expect some fantastic results. Hopefully I can add an addendum onto this review.

I'd give a 3 for service turnaround, although Texas Towers was fantastic, they do not make the antenna. And a big 5 gold stars for the antenna. It was worth waiting for perfection.

KB2KOS Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2015 10:14 Send this review to a friend
great antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
this antenna I brouhgt from tx tower they help me every step of the way I would buy this antenna again if I needed to joe

K1QF Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2014 17:10 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I spent a great deal of time shopping all variations of the hex-beam. Almost ordered the K4KIO version but at the last minute noticed that Textenna was offering the G3TXQ broadband version with slightly heavier components at a lower cost. Since I was mounting my hex-beam on a Penninger 2" mast, the K4KIO would not work since their base will not accept a mast larger than 1.9mm. Specifications are virtually identical to those of other G3TXQ models. In describing Tex-Hex improvements over the competition, Gerald Williamson (K5GW) of Textenna mentioned a heavier base plate and an optional stacking mast kit for mounting small VHF and UHF antenna above the hex-beam. As almost all reviewers of hex-beam have noted they are great performers for their size and cost. This is my first directional antenna, and it has been exciting to recently work Tajikistan, Burkina Faso, San Andreas Island, and Galapagos Island - all DX locations that I have never heard before. As previously noted my Tex-Hex is mounted on a 35' Penninger Mast System with a Yaesu G-800SA at the base. Finally, customer service from Textenna was great with help on the feed line (Davis RF -Bury Flex) and current balun needed for this type of antenna.