Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | QRO HF 2000 Help

Reviews Summary for QRO HF 2000
QRO HF 2000 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $3795
Description: The QRO HF 2000 is a 1500 watt PEP amplifier utilizing two 3- 500s.
More info: http://QROTEC.COM

You can write your own review of the QRO HF 2000.

K5QBX Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2014 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Solid Piece of Gear  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this amp second hand (still in warranty) in Aug 2013. It's a very reliable piece of gear and easy to drive to manufacturer's specifications on all bands. The band switch is very heavy duty and having a separate tuned input for all bands (except 30m) is something that is not available on all amplifiers. The vacuum T/R switching relay is quiet and makes for excellent VOX or QSK operation. The cooling fan is very quiet and seems to evacuate the heat from the tubes quite well even in extended operation. I keep a thermometer over the exhaust outlet and I have never seen it over 105 degrees F. I can't comment on the ALC as I don't have the ALC connected and don't need more than 70-80 watts drive to reach near legal limit. The tune and load controls are very smooth and tuning/loading is very predictable. The meters are large enough and easy to read, and the switches (on/off and operate/standby) have a solid feel to them.

In conclusion, I am very satisfied with the amplifier. The quality of the parts and wiring are excellent...everything seems to be heavy duty and laid out well. It's no light weight at approximately 75 pounds, but I only move it about every 6 months to check for dust and cleaning. It's not auto band switching or auto tune (read a lot more bucks), but it is a reasonably priced, easy to operate, heavy duty, and reliable amplifier. If you get one, in this ham's opinion, you'll probably keep it for a long time.

WD9ICU Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2013 05:37 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
This month will mark the 10 year anniversary of me owning this nice amplifier. It still puts out legal limit on original tubes and has never given me a bit of trouble. I have cleaned the fan and tubes but thats been it. Like others have said , this is a very well built piece of equipment which has stood up to the test of time and my sometimes abusive operating. If your looking at this style of amp I recommend this one.

N2YPD Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2012 19:02 Send this review to a friend
Still The #1 amplifier On The Market   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my second the QRO Hf 2000 is a tank on steroids! Can you say Quality with a capital Q? It is not the prettiest thing in the shack. It does not have any fancy leds, but if one is looking for nothing short of total brute force then this amp is it.! Very easy to tune and runs very quiet! The controls are smooth and a flip of the band switch proves that this is a REAL AMPLIFIER.

The quality of the internal components will shock you for an amplifier at this price point. I have owned numerous legal limit amps during my radio career and this gem stands head and shoulders above any of them. Aren't cheap but as has been said, "Quality doesn't cost, it pays". It's a good illustration of the old saying that you get what you pay for. If you can get your hands on one of these Amplifier you will not be disappointed

This Amp is a keeper.

AK4NO Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2011 14:39 Send this review to a friend
Very well built.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This amp is a real piece of work. Just give it the once over inside and out and you'll know it's quality. Only the best components were used. Very quite with a clean signal. Also the 3-500z tubes are inexpensive and easy to find unlike some other amps out there. I recommend it!

KP4WR Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2011 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been A Ham for the last 40 years never have a QRO amplifier. Bought this HF 2000 about 2 weeks ago brand new. This is a SUPERAMP with 45 watt a Kilowatt and plenty of room for more power. Factory adjusted to your operation needs. A 2 year warranty
and a good customer service. Go for it!!

K5ESW Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2011 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Great amp and great support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my HF-2000 new in 1996. It is very well built and reliable. I like the instant-on nature of the amp. I don't have to run it until needed, and there is no 3-minute wait, which is common for many tube amps.

My vacuum relay became intermittent after 15 years, and Ray helped me diagnose it. His support has always been excellent.

K2QE Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2011 16:50 Send this review to a friend
Glad I waited  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I contacted Ray at QRO last December regarding the availability of the HF-2000. My interest stemmed from the reaction of my HF rig (Icom IC-7700) to the key-up time delay of my Drake L-7 Amplifier. Upon first dit, the IC-7700 would experience an SWR spike due to the turn-on timing of the L-7 relay. Yoiks! Sooooo, if I wanted to use my main rig, I would need to use the Heil pistol grip to key the amp before that first DIT. My backup TS-830S and SB-200 started to get a lot more use …

Unfortunately, the HF-2000 was not on Ray’s current manufacturing schedule, so I would have to wait to get one. Hmmmmm … I considered other Amps since Ray would not restart his manufacturing of the HF-2000 until after April - bummer … I decided to wait it out, and I am certainly glad I did.

Ray restarted the HF-2000 manufacturing line in the summer, and Ray put me on the list to get one. On August 17, three packages arrived at the door: RF deck, tubes (Taylor #-500ZG’s), and the behemoth transformer.

Ray packages the HF-2000 superbly … not even UPS could damage the goods the way Ray packs ‘em (I hope UPS does not take that as a challenge – they have wrecked enough stuff on me).

When I opened up the RF deck, my first impression was: “what a gorgeous piece of equipment”. The cabinet is a real beauty; fit and finish is damn-near spectacular.

Now it was time to get going. Manual in hand, I removed the top cover and installed the transformer and tubes. A general perusal of the innards clearly indicates a very high level of workmanship, and heavy duty stuff abounds. Assembly per the manual was straight forward, despite a couple of typos in the manual.

One things is for sure: moving the HF-2000 around is not nearly as easy as moving the L-7. The L-7 power supply is separate from the RF deck, so placing the L-7 in position is a piece of cake. When you are old like me, moving the HF-2000 to a top shelf position requires either a fork truck or an invitation to an able-bodied individual. In my case, my son stopped by to help me hoist the monster into position.

I fired that puppy up and it purred like a kitten while spittin’ out 1200 watts. The verniers for the Tune and Load controls are silky-smooth. The band switch requires a bit of oomph to index, but I guess that is what heavy duty means. Tune-up was a snap because when Ray bench tests the amps he records and provides a table of settings which can be used as the starting point for final tune-up.

I consider the QRO HF-2000 to be a great value, and the amp is a classy addition to the shack. As long as I don’t have to move it, I will remain tickled pink.

If you are considering a new amp, you cannot beat the instant-on QRO HF-2000. Thanx Ray ...

K0CWO Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2010 07:34 Send this review to a friend
Quiet legal limit amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I replaced my QRO HF-2500 with the HF-2000. Although the HF-2500 was a great amplifier, I prefer tuning a triode over a tetrode amplifier. Compared to the 2500 you can hardly hear the muffin fan in the 2000. With 60 watts of drive I get 1KW SSB PEP out on all bands. 100 watts of drive will yield legal limit. I like the 3-500 tube for ruggedness, availability, and affordability. I contemplated on buying an Ameritron AL-82, but like my AL-1500 the fan in the AL-82 is quite a bit nosier than the HF-2000. Although the HF-2500 loafed at 1500 watts output, the HF-2000 loafs at 1000 watts SSB output all day. It does so in a very quiet and easy tuning manner and I have rarely seen an advantage of running 1KW over 1.5KW. Another great feature is that the HF-2000 has a tuned input for 17 and 12 meters as well as the relative power output and ALC metering functions as part of the multi meter circuitry. I have owned 8 amplifiers so far and I really have no particular dislike for any of them. For my current operating habits the HF-2000 is a favorite.

NA1A Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2009 22:41 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had several different amps through the years including some really fine ones like the ALPHA OMEGA, ALPHA 77DX, HENRY 2K, 3K, etc...
This one stacks right up there with the BIG BOYS. Tuning is silky smooth with brute and stable power out. No power supply hum (I hate amps with humming PS when key up). Fan is super quiet. I get 1500W with just about 95-100W drive on all the bands. Amp comes standard with QSK vacuum relay, step-start in-rush current limiter. Amp doesn't arch like most other 3-500Z amp upon tuning up. The silky smooth veneer dials are so accurate that once you have figured out all your tune and load settings, next time you go back to that band, all you have to do is set the knobs to the pre-determined position and you're good to go. No fine tunings needed. The only complain I have is eventhough it has QSK vacuum relay, it is still a little loud. May be it should be mounted with rubber or silicone insulator to dampen the noise.
Overall, for an amp running a pair of 3-500Z, this got to be the best. It stacks right up there with the big Henrys.

W8NET Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2009 15:35 Send this review to a friend
ROCK Solid  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had my QRO HF-2000 for about 4 months. I purchased it from a local ham who had to sell. When I received it, it had several problems - which were easily identifiable and fixed.

Thu unit I purchased did NOT have cooling anode connectors, just loops to connect the parasitics to the tubes. As a result, the previous owner overheated one of the tubes to the point of cracking the glass. The metal anode connector was blue from the heat. I am told certain earlier models may have been shipped without the cooling connectors. However, this is a unit that has the QSK module built in, which was only done in more recent models. Not sure why they were missing.

So, after getting a new set of tubes, anode cooling connectors and replacing a few other minor components, I took a very close look at the total design: The band switch is so heavy duty it nearly takes two hands to turn. The Hypersil transformer would easily power 4 tubes. All other components are equally heavy duty - EXCEPT for a few of the metering components. Not a big deal, and easily replceable if necessary. I changed the resistance on the fan to produce a slightly higher air volume. The fan is still not too noisy, and I feel better about keeing the tubes cooler.

Also, I replaced the standard 3A HV diodes with 5A while I had the amp open. Likely not needed, but what the heck, I had the diodes.

Ray at QRO has been especially supportive. I had a few questions, and he answered them promptly. I also wanted a couple replacement knobs (the originals had a few very minor scratches), and he provided them at quite a reasonable price.

This is without question the best engineered 3-500Z-based amp I have ever seen. While rumor has it that Ray is *occasionally* manufacturing these amps, the QRO website says they are not currently in production.

If you can find one, BUY IT. Overpay for it if you have to.

RAY, RAISE THE PRICE AND KEEP SELLING THESE FINE AMPS!