Reviews Categories | Receive Accessories | MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler
MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler Reviews: 103 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $179
Description: The MFJ-1026 is designed to reduce noise or interference, or improve desired signals, before the noise affects sensitive receiver circuits.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1026

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler.

MI0HPE Rating: 4/5 Apr 2, 2016 13:41 Send this review to a friend
good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got this second hand a few days ago for a reasonable price, it looks good so far, it needs a bit of careful setting up but it's great for people who like to experiment. The internal antenna is fairly useless unless you have very close qrm, with a good auxiliary receiver antenna,( Super antenna MP1) it really starts to show it's strengths, it even reduces qrn as soon as you switch it on, without any adjustments. By MFJ standards this looks like a very good piece of kit. 10 or so transistors and a good design concept, surprisingly good. 73 de Paul

KQ9J Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2015 18:11 Send this review to a friend
Works very well!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Santa just put this little gem under my tree and I had the perfect opportunity to test it tonite. Being Christmas time, the kids came home and brought their Nintendo Wii game device which puts out a 10bd over S9 buzz that blankets 160 meters. (I was really happy when that device left for college but it seems to always return).

Anyway, connected my new MFJ-1026 to the rig. It needed a little better noise pickup antenna than the included whip, but once that was in place, it took the noise from the WII down to nothing and I could copy S1 signals again!

I had one of these MFJ units many years ago but returned it because there were just too many noise sources where I lived at the time. But for a single noise source they work wonders. I will be keeping this one :)

VE3GZB Rating: 1/5 Nov 19, 2015 17:18 Send this review to a friend
Following the manual, it's great at amplifying noise.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The MFJ-1026 does not work as advertized. Not even with a dedicated antenna on the Aux. input.

Both main and Aux. antenna inputs can receive QRM equally. Using the Phase control, either on normal or inverted, does not produce any significant null.

It's just another typical example of Mighty Fine Junk - great in concept, terrible in execution.

Save your money. Take your XYL out for a fine dinner instead.

NH6RF Rating: 4/5 Nov 18, 2015 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had a terrible problem with noise on various HF freqs. I.E., this morning on 7.130mhz there was a buzz that was peaking at 20+. The MFJ-1026 completely took it out. My main antenna is a 67' OCFD at 35'. I initially used an end fed antenna for the auxillary antenna but I found that to be insufficient. I just wasn't hearing as well as the OCFD so finding a null was nearly impossible. I then put up a mini G5RV just below the OCFD. That worked. What I hear on the main antenna can also be heard on the auxillary antenna. The MFJ-1026 can't work correctly if it can't hear the noise on both antennas. As mentioned in some other reviews it takes some practice, patients and most likely some antenna work to get all things lined up, but once you do you won't be dissapointed.

AD1ET Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2015 04:43 Send this review to a friend
Right Product for Right Noise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live off grid and power is provided by a 3600 watt Outback Engineering sine wave inverter. This item is the source of periodic noise on all bands between 20 meters and 6 meters. Noise shows up as 60 cycle every 10 khz and extends about 7 khz. Determined this is not charge controller or power line noise by operating with radio on batteries and solar panels disconnected. This noise is on the house wiring and that is acting as a large antenna and radiating it. The MFJ-1026 kills it dead. I mean gone, flatlined, zippo, nil. You get the idea. Just amazing. Noise must be local and not just band noise. This is NOT a band noise filter but rather a local noise eliminator.

KE2TR Rating: 4/5 Oct 13, 2015 11:40 Send this review to a friend
It Works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since we moved to a new QTH I have been hammered with S9+10 static noise from near by power lines which unless your 20 over 9 its almost impossible to hear anything that's a weak signal. The NB in the radio works but only on a quiet band and once the band get packed it opens up the IF chain for IMD with strong signals near by. I did the research on the MFJ and Timewave but ordered up the MFJ1025(W/O Preamp on the noise antenna), installed a low to ground 135'OCF dipole about 15-20' high for the noise antenna and started to adjust for least noise on all of the bands. It did take some time but there was an excellent You tube by VK3LAJ and Mike Coffey which help allot on how to adjust it. I am able to take almost all the time that S9+ noise and bring it down to S1 without any artifacts, it is simply amazing plus having the adjustment of gain on the noise antenna is what is missing on the TW unit. Now when that noise is not present (when the WX is raining) I use it to lower the band noise from lets say S3 down to S1 so I can really dig into the noise floor when a band just opens.
The only reason I gave it a 4 was its typical MFJ cheaply made and if there is more than $25 dollars in the bill of materials I would be surprised, I would have paid more for the unit if they only made it look better but I can only say this baby may be ugly but it works fantastic on the noise and that's what you are paying for. I am surprised that ole Martin doesn't have a premier line like under the Ameritron label which would be built better and just charge a little more but he is been in this biz a long time and who am I to rebuttal his success.

G4AON Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2015 10:36 Send this review to a friend
When you really need it, it works!  Time owned: more than 12 months
These devices need careful setting up but when correctly set they are brilliant.

All was fairly quiet here until a local switched mode power supply appeared one day, it was on 160m and 10 dB over S9. With the 1026 connected in the external antenna IN/OUT terminals on my K3, using the telescopic and pre-amp, I was able to pick up the noise easily and it could be nulled down to the background noise.

For anyone who is struggling to make one of these work, try the following.

If you can connect the unit in an external antenna "loop" on your transceiver it will be less liable to RF damage than if you connect it to your main antenna socket.

Tune into a strong medium wave broadcast station and make sure you can hear it on the auxilliary antenna at good strength.

Adjust your main and aux antenna gain controls to give a similar signal level with both, then try the phase control. It should be possible to cancel out the broadcast station, the null on one of these units is approaching 60 dB.

Wideband "hash" that is probably radiated from power, or telephone lines, is harder to deal with. However for localised switching supplies and noisy televisions, these units work very well.

WB0OAF Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2015 06:31 Send this review to a friend
Owner - User  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A lot of people donít understanding what they are doing with these ďnoise cancelersĒ hence the comments I see all the time, they DONíT WORK!. Or mine worked a little, or ďyour noise has to be directionalĒ, then it will work. I really donít know what kind of Electronics Education all these people have, or had, but in my book you donít know what youíre talking about fits perfectly every time.

Whether you use the ANC-4 or the MFJ-1026 or any other Comparator Circuit, THEY DO WORK. These units are not defective, and they function very well. Iíve used them for a number of projects involving noise. Whoever heard of noise thatís directional??!! You got a vertical whip antenna on these units that solves that problem, they receive in ALL directions, and work fine in ALL directions, noise is omni directional.

I could write a book on how to hook these babyís up to see the performance, but I feel I would be wasting my time like I do now. The ones that say these units DONíT WORK, or the ones that have already returned them for a refund or burned them up transmitting too close, are already convince these arenít any good. You know, like casting your pearls before swine philosophy.

Of the (2) that are always being put down, the MFJ works the best. You wanna know why I say that?? I been in Electronics troubleshooting and repair for 35 years, I electronics circuits inside/out, I had to in order to fix things. When I had the ANC-4 (superb little unit until you burn the (4) 51 OHM resistors out of them and then sell Ďem on EBAY). I always wished the ANC-4 had a preamp to amplify the noise signal, it would Null better. So I built a preamp in my ANC-4 and it did Null better, it Nulled almost anything I could throw at it. Including a noisy Motor in my wifeís hand mixer when she was making cookies.

Then I found the MFJ-1026 unit with the preamp. Bingo, I want to try it, I tried it and I wonít sell it.
By the way, when the noisy hand-mixer came on, the mixer was in the kitchen, but it transmitted noise everywhere. The Digital TV on an outside antenna got knocked out. The mixer noise was on every radio in the house, upstairs, downstairs, outside, itís omni directional noise, not directional.

The MFJ-1026 is a beautiful comparator circuit (with preamp), look at the schematic, look at the design when youíre comparing these things, or you wonít have a leg to stand on when you comment, other than, it donít work, duhh..

If you canít read a schematic, then your comments are that of a regular consumer that has no idea what they are looking for and just buying a product they nothing about.

Itís not a noise filter like some think, itís a NOISE COMPARATOR. The neighbors Plasma TV is completely taken out with these units - just hook Ďem up right.
WB0OAF since 1969

KPAX2 Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2015 07:52 Send this review to a friend
Nice  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
excellent unit

W5GNB Rating: 4/5 Jan 3, 2015 16:39 Send this review to a friend
It Works (Finally)  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The usual MFJ Quality issues of loose bolts, a couple of cold solder joints and a bad pot right out of the box..... Once these problems were fixed, the unit actually WORKS.....I didn't bother with any warranty nonsense, it wasn't worth the grief.....I would like to see a serious manufacturer build one of these things, it might be amazing now good it would work with a little better engineering and quality construction of components.......