Reviews Categories | Receive Accessories | MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler
MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler Reviews: 99 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $179
Description: The MFJ-1026 is designed to reduce noise or interference, or improve desired signals, before the noise affects sensitive receiver circuits.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1026

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler.

G4AON Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2015 10:36 Send this review to a friend
When you really need it, it works!  Time owned: more than 12 months
These devices need careful setting up but when correctly set they are brilliant.

All was fairly quiet here until a local switched mode power supply appeared one day, it was on 160m and 10 dB over S9. With the 1026 connected in the external antenna IN/OUT terminals on my K3, using the telescopic and pre-amp, I was able to pick up the noise easily and it could be nulled down to the background noise.

For anyone who is struggling to make one of these work, try the following.

If you can connect the unit in an external antenna "loop" on your transceiver it will be less liable to RF damage than if you connect it to your main antenna socket.

Tune into a strong medium wave broadcast station and make sure you can hear it on the auxilliary antenna at good strength.

Adjust your main and aux antenna gain controls to give a similar signal level with both, then try the phase control. It should be possible to cancel out the broadcast station, the null on one of these units is approaching 60 dB.

Wideband "hash" that is probably radiated from power, or telephone lines, is harder to deal with. However for localised switching supplies and noisy televisions, these units work very well.

WB0OAF Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2015 06:31 Send this review to a friend
Owner - User  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A lot of people donít understanding what they are doing with these ďnoise cancelersĒ hence the comments I see all the time, they DONíT WORK!. Or mine worked a little, or ďyour noise has to be directionalĒ, then it will work. I really donít know what kind of Electronics Education all these people have, or had, but in my book you donít know what youíre talking about fits perfectly every time.

Whether you use the ANC-4 or the MFJ-1026 or any other Comparator Circuit, THEY DO WORK. These units are not defective, and they function very well. Iíve used them for a number of projects involving noise. Whoever heard of noise thatís directional??!! You got a vertical whip antenna on these units that solves that problem, they receive in ALL directions, and work fine in ALL directions, noise is omni directional.

I could write a book on how to hook these babyís up to see the performance, but I feel I would be wasting my time like I do now. The ones that say these units DONíT WORK, or the ones that have already returned them for a refund or burned them up transmitting too close, are already convince these arenít any good. You know, like casting your pearls before swine philosophy.

Of the (2) that are always being put down, the MFJ works the best. You wanna know why I say that?? I been in Electronics troubleshooting and repair for 35 years, I electronics circuits inside/out, I had to in order to fix things. When I had the ANC-4 (superb little unit until you burn the (4) 51 OHM resistors out of them and then sell Ďem on EBAY). I always wished the ANC-4 had a preamp to amplify the noise signal, it would Null better. So I built a preamp in my ANC-4 and it did Null better, it Nulled almost anything I could throw at it. Including a noisy Motor in my wifeís hand mixer when she was making cookies.

Then I found the MFJ-1026 unit with the preamp. Bingo, I want to try it, I tried it and I wonít sell it.
By the way, when the noisy hand-mixer came on, the mixer was in the kitchen, but it transmitted noise everywhere. The Digital TV on an outside antenna got knocked out. The mixer noise was on every radio in the house, upstairs, downstairs, outside, itís omni directional noise, not directional.

The MFJ-1026 is a beautiful comparator circuit (with preamp), look at the schematic, look at the design when youíre comparing these things, or you wonít have a leg to stand on when you comment, other than, it donít work, duhh..

If you canít read a schematic, then your comments are that of a regular consumer that has no idea what they are looking for and just buying a product they nothing about.

Itís not a noise filter like some think, itís a NOISE COMPARATOR. The neighbors Plasma TV is completely taken out with these units - just hook Ďem up right.
WB0OAF since 1969

KPAX2 Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2015 07:52 Send this review to a friend
Nice  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
excellent unit

W5GNB Rating: 4/5 Jan 3, 2015 16:39 Send this review to a friend
It Works (Finally)  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The usual MFJ Quality issues of loose bolts, a couple of cold solder joints and a bad pot right out of the box..... Once these problems were fixed, the unit actually WORKS.....I didn't bother with any warranty nonsense, it wasn't worth the grief.....I would like to see a serious manufacturer build one of these things, it might be amazing now good it would work with a little better engineering and quality construction of components.......

K2PJW Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2014 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Amazing little box  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this unit for an electric fence RFI problem. The NB in the radio worked well but on 75M it did not quite do the job.

This does exactly what it is supposed to do. I have been having a ball playing with this little unit. It's not designed for MW but I have been using it down there to null out a 50,000 watt station so I can hear the tiny power station on the same frequency, it works beautifully!

Back to the RFI from the electric fence. I did not know if this unit would work for this situation. I put up the best external antenna for the noise antenna that I could. I set the jumper per the instruction manual. After a lot of playing around the mfj 1026 actually took the electric fence RFI from s-9 to completely away! I have to tweak the phase knob occasionally with the electric fence noise due to it's characteristics but this thing has made my life so much better.

The biggest thing is having the external noise antenna.

Another benefit of the mfj 1026 is experimenting and learning something new about antennas in phase etc.

On the inside the unit looks nice and I do not see any QC issues.

This little box is a must have for any operator that does HF.

N8NJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2014 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Good Device  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was concerned about an MFJ purchase but after a new neighbor moved in and brought their Plasma TV with them I decided to take a chance.
The inside and outside appearance was good and so was my first experience using it. I use a random wire tuned with a remote tuner for the second antenna and once tuned to the band I need to clear up it does it's job.

G4AYU Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2014 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Just as it say on the Tin  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I must admit that I was a little bit sceptical about how this unit would perform, but it is great.
My S9 noise is gone. I pu up a random wire for the noise antenna. My main antena is the MA5B.
It's been said before but a word of advice..read the manual before using the unit and you won't go wrong.

W6AAJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2014 21:50 Send this review to a friend
WOW am I Happy!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I agree with the others before me. Use a real antenna that also hears the noise. I most strongly recommend that you watch the videos on Utube before you start then read the manual. As for results, I also regained 80 and 40 meters that were nothing but BUZZ. Now I have clear copy. It's absolutely amazing how this nulls out noise. Be patient with your knob fiddling as the sweet spot is VERY elusive at times (sharp tuning) FYI,
I am using a 51 foot wire antenna fed with a 9:1 unum and rg8x for my noise receive antenna. Questions? Find my e-mail on QRZ.

G4RNI Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2014 10:10 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
RTB, RTB, RTB: READ THE BOOK !!!

If you think you're gonna plug this in and it will magically make all your QRM/N problems go away, you are sadly mistaken.
Read the book however and it can virtually eliminate a noise source. Mine almost completely removes the S9+20dB plasma TV buzz from my neighbour's new one eyed monster. It makes the difference between running the noise blanker flat out or having it tick over, thereby helping preserve the dynamic range of my IC-7700.

It's NOT a noise filter, it's a phasing unit. You need the interference to be received on both your main aerial and a noise aerial. The whip may do but probably won't. Put up a wire aerial for noise but that's all in the book.

Final advice: Don't expect it to be something it is not. It does EXACTLY what it says in the instructions. IF IT DOESN'T WORK FOR YOU, YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG. READ THE BOOK !

VK3TEX Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2014 23:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent device!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Unit works very, well, I was able to completely remove noise and hear weak buried signals! No more listening fatigue, all gone!
Spectacular results!
Workmanship quality on mine is excellent.
If you suffer from local interference you need one of these. Once set up properly, with a good auxiliary antenna , the unit shines!!
This type of circuitry should come as standard on high end HF transceivers. Does a FAR better job of noise reduction than ANY fancy IF noise DSP reduction ! And that's a FACT! True, you try it! You will see...
Thanks MFJ, for a fine product at a great price, it has saved the 40 and 80 meter bands for me!!
Cheers, Les VK3TEX.