Reviews Categories | Receive Accessories | MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler
MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler Reviews: 110 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $179
Description: The MFJ-1026 is designed to reduce noise or interference, or improve desired signals, before the noise affects sensitive receiver circuits.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1026

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler.

RAHOBIT Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2017 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Tuned in, it does really work  Time owned: more than 12 months
This device is incredibly good when you get to know how to make best use of it. Do not think of it as just another noise reduction filter. It's more of a two antenna combiner - phase shifter. There may even be something of a phase slewing directional effect going on.

A couple of months ago the increase in noise levels around my shack was enough to almost finish daytime SWL and even at night on some stations it was so bad it had me depressed. I do run 4-5 antenna's and was able to select the best for the job through the antenna switch but that was not always using the best antenna for the meterband.

I had also found by experimenting and combining a couple of them, either together or with one acting as the earth to my homebrew ATU, I was able to improve things somewhat, but only sometimes.

Then I remembered I had purchased the 1026 a couple of years ago and put it to work. After reading the manual and watching UTube my learning began again and the good results flowed. Firstly I made the jumper lead change and removed the internal telescopic. You really need (at least) two external antenna's in my experience which I think should ideally be hung a few meters distance from each other as this will enhance the phase-shift that the 1026 will use to get the best null of noise. With a third and fourth antenna you can experiment more as I did to get the best effect.

I even found that my best antenna, cut for the correct band, is better used as the "auxiliary antenna" in the 1026 unit and then I use one of my random wires for the "main antenna". My experience is this way I could amplify my best antenna signal as much as the noise would permit. I can experiment with the other random antennas to pick up plenty of the noise for the unit to null with.

Following the UTube demo I can now easily tune my own setup, although sometimes there are up to 4 goes at it. How much noise, and which direction its from, has a major influence. And it has to be eliminated for each band, even different stations.

Briefly,
- main gain to full, read the S meter, turn back to 0 (this is the "random" antenna)
- turn up the aux antenna gain (use pre-amp if necessary) to get the same S reading (this is my "good" antenna
- turn up the main antenna gain again
- use the HI switch setting if receiving 9MHz or more, or LO otherwise (although this too can be experimented with)
- now use the phase knob like a frequency tuner ie slowly and listening for a noise decrease. Try the whole range. If you get no improvement try the other "phase normal/invert" switch and turn the phase knob again tuning for a noise decrease.
- if you get no hint of a noise decrease, maybe reverse the antenna inputs or use a different aux antenna. You can also just throw a wire out the window to pick up noise!
- once you get a noise decrease, adjust the gains on either or both antennas to reduce it further. Carefully also use the phase knob again to improve it. These three adjustments can be quite sensitive and it is certainly not a case of "wind the phase and gains up to full and randomly back them off"!
- I've even found one setting where the main antenna gain is 0 and the phase knob is still effective. If I turn the unit off (bypass) the noise is terrible. On, its almost gone.

In fact, the result is usually an astounding improvement in readability - not necessarily in signal strength although this too can be improved with careful tweaking. But the noises around me can be almost nulled and that's something my antenna's alone have not been able to do.

For me this unit has been a godsend, very effective during night or day and has revived my SWL to the point where I can DX again.

AC6BW Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2017 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I suffer from noise from neighbors' solar panel arrays. The noise is present on 15, 12 and 10m, and is S9 +10 dB on 12m. The MFJ-1026 brings the noise down to S2-3! It does work, but the key is to have a noise receiving antenna that receives the noise at the same level as the main antenna. I use a low dipole tuned for 12m, at about 15-20 ft. I will also mention that the unit works best with local noise. It won't do well with skywave noise, as the phase is constantly shifting.
I published a video demonstarting the MFJ-1026 capabilities at:

I recommend using the external T/R Control input on the rear of the unit. Run a cable to this input from the "TX GND" output of your transceiver. That way, you won't have to rely on the internal RF detect circuit to switch out the MFJ-1026 circuitry during TX.

I added a relay that shorts the AUX antenna input to GND during TX. Use a 12V coil relay. Wire the high side of the coil to +12V. Wire the low side of the coil to the T/R Control input, through a 1N914 diode. The Cathode of the diode should connect to the T/R Control input. The diode prevents problems due to different pull-up voltages on the T/R Control line during RX, if you have more than one piece of equipment connected to the TX Gnd output of your transceiver.

Overall I think it's a great unit. It got me back on the air on the high bands. Prior to this, I couldn't hear anything.

KB2SMS Rating: 4/5 Jan 26, 2017 06:37 Send this review to a friend
Works fine!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The 1026 works very well. I get hammered by local AM radio stations on part of nearly every HF band and this unit knocks it right out. Brings S10-20 noise down to S3. Check out the Youtube videos on it, including mine (Tommyr). It makes a HUGH difference. And I'm only using the built in whip.
I'm not spending $600 for the DX engineering unit, that price is totally ridiculous.

KC0EKQ Rating: 4/5 Jan 26, 2017 01:51 Send this review to a friend
It works...  Time owned: more than 12 months
... but not always.

I've been into the whole radio madness for decades now, and have used just about all the commercially available phasing/noise cancelling models over the years.

The MFJ 1025/1026 is a decent phasing unit, and for its price it's a fair piece of gear.

But it's not as easy to achieve a real null as a few other units, the best being the Quantum Phaser from Gerry Thomas at RadioPlus.

The 1025/1026 takes a longer time of fiddling around to find a null, and once you do, it still doesn't get quite as down and quiet a null as the Quantum or even the DX Engineering phasing unit (which is stunningly expensive given its competitors' pricing and its performance).

But it will kill lots of types of noise, and for those who think it's just junk, well, being an MFJ product it could easily have been a poorly assembled unit you were trying to use, but I have to chalk up any terrible review to user issues, not the product. It takes more than matching antennas to get good use of the 1025/1026, or any phasing unit for that matter.

It's a good model and it works when you use it properly... it's just not the best model.

ZS4U Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2016 00:44 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If you have a single noise source and utilize a proper noise receive antenna this unit will astonish you. I was suffering from a neighbor's cheap diode lighting system and the MFJ-1026 took care of the problem. Highly recommended.

M0WNF Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2016 11:27 Send this review to a friend
It does work  Time owned: more than 12 months
My qth is in the middle of town with electrified railway system 50yards away plus a local retail area so noise can be considerable. IF you follow the instructions and don`t expect this to do what it was never designed to do it works and works very well. Mostly i can now operate when before i could not.

M3IUC Rating: 1/5 Jun 5, 2016 10:39 Send this review to a friend
save your money  Time owned: months
i have used this now for 4 months with very little
successes. i have 2 identical long end fed wire antennas of 127 ft aprx long one used as receiving
and one as TX both give same qrm and qrn . so should work well as far as MFJ say it should work.
But it just isnt worth the money for what it does.
i want to sell mine but now i have no chance after writing this review, But i dont wont others to waste there money.

MI0HPE Rating: 4/5 Apr 2, 2016 13:41 Send this review to a friend
good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got this second hand a few days ago for a reasonable price, it looks good so far, it needs a bit of careful setting up but it's great for people who like to experiment. The internal antenna is fairly useless unless you have very close qrm, with a good auxiliary receiver antenna,( Super antenna MP1) it really starts to show it's strengths, it even reduces qrn as soon as you switch it on, without any adjustments. By MFJ standards this looks like a very good piece of kit. 10 or so transistors and a good design concept, surprisingly good. 73 de Paul

KQ9J Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2015 18:11 Send this review to a friend
Works very well!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Santa just put this little gem under my tree and I had the perfect opportunity to test it tonite. Being Christmas time, the kids came home and brought their Nintendo Wii game device which puts out a 10bd over S9 buzz that blankets 160 meters. (I was really happy when that device left for college but it seems to always return).

Anyway, connected my new MFJ-1026 to the rig. It needed a little better noise pickup antenna than the included whip, but once that was in place, it took the noise from the WII down to nothing and I could copy S1 signals again!

I had one of these MFJ units many years ago but returned it because there were just too many noise sources where I lived at the time. But for a single noise source they work wonders. I will be keeping this one :)

VE3GZB Rating: 1/5 Nov 19, 2015 17:18 Send this review to a friend
Following the manual, it's great at amplifying noise.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The MFJ-1026 does not work as advertized. Not even with a dedicated antenna on the Aux. input.

Both main and Aux. antenna inputs can receive QRM equally. Using the Phase control, either on normal or inverted, does not produce any significant null.

It's just another typical example of Mighty Fine Junk - great in concept, terrible in execution.

Save your money. Take your XYL out for a fine dinner instead.