Reviews Categories | Receive Accessories | MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler
MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler Reviews: 99 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $179
Description: The MFJ-1026 is designed to reduce noise or interference, or improve desired signals, before the noise affects sensitive receiver circuits.

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler.

N0GBR Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2014 14:27 Send this review to a friend
Proper antennas for MFJ-1026  Time owned: more than 12 months
Even for non-local noise it works. The key is having a second receive antenna that also "hears" the noise. I agree, toss the little whip or better yet buy the unit sans whip (MFJ 1025). The noise does not need to be as strong, just audible.
ZL1LK Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2014 02:49 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wow! My MFJ-1026 is amazing. It took me just two evening fiddling the knobs to understand how to use it. Also read the manual… IT WORKS!!!.
I have always had high noise levels from the low bands up to 20 meters. I run my radios from large batteries. One day while using 80 meters with a noise level of S8 (which is normal for me) we had a power outage which my noise level dropped down to S1. This made me realise that S9 was not normal so I bought a MFJ-1026. I can now drop my noise level on 80 meters to an S3, not quite an S1 but I’m still happy with that result. But on 40 meters with an S8 noise level, most of the time I can maintain S0-S1 which at first I thought it was just detuning the front end of my radio until tuning around and hearing S9+20db signals and also hearing week station across the whole band.
The supplied auxiliary whip antenna needs to go! I am using about 30 meters of standard electrical wire running along the length of my wooden fence pushed in to the auxiliary SO239 socket.
If you can’t tune out that noise, read the manual again and again… and if that still doesn’t do the job, then the noise is not local and probably everyone on the band is hearing that same noise.

I’m going to buy another one of these units and put it away as backup.

73 de ZL1LK Roy

MM0IMC Rating: 3/5 Sep 1, 2013 14:38 Send this review to a friend
Better than first thought!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It works quite well on 40m and the lower bands, getting rid of the dreadful plasma TV QRM and various neighbours switch mode phone chargers.

I've still to get it to work properly on 20m.

All-in-all, most of the problems I've had have been from operator error. :(
WD9DUI Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2013 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Does the Job, works fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the MFJ 1025, I obtained it due to a new TV in the house which was not my doing. Yes it is Plasma, it takes out most signals and puts out noise across the bands. I had to do something, from the reviews it looked like this product would do the trick. I would say that it has taken out about 95% of the noise and has made my life enjoyable once again on HF. If you are thinking of getting one make sure you do the reading and understand how it works. It takes a while to adjust out the interference. I use it with my MFJ 9040 qrp rig and the IC718.
N5RL Rating: 4/5 Jun 5, 2013 11:08 Send this review to a friend
Good product which may help your interference issues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When using this product there a lot of variables to consider, the type of interference being one. My intended use was primarily to combat sporadic power line interference that at times would overload my Icom pro with 10 db over S9 broadband signals. Chances are it will not completely eliminate your problem but in most cases certainly help minimize it. Auxiliary antenna gain is most important in reference to the main signal as the instructions specify. I experienced reductions of 3 to 4 "S" units when the 1026 was properly adjusted and the received auxiliary gain was sufficient. All tuning was done using an external 80 meter dipole (as the aux antenna) for interference reduction. While this was not as much as I had hoped, it did make my specific situation tolerable and the device a worthy buy.
PA3GOS Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2013 16:25 Send this review to a friend
Great funregainer  Time owned: more than 12 months
First off, mine is a 1025 model. After experimenting a bit with different "auxiliary" antenna's I came up with what I call a diplane. Actually a vertical dipole of about two times 2.75 meters with one end about a meter into the ground.

I have a strong local noise source which I can't DF so far. Specifically 40 meters was unusable. The "diplane" picks up the noise pretty strong on most bands so it's suitable for use with this superb MFJ product.

One has to get used to the controls on the unit but once you do it is not hard to eliminate the noise completely. For example, on 40 meters my S9++ noise disappears completely! All that is left is the normal (atmospheric) noise level of S3 to S4 and stations are R5 readable where they weren't even audible before.

Since my AUX antenna is very close to the rest of my antenna's, I added an extra relay to ground the AUX input when transmitting. I removed the lightbulb as well. This simple modification protects the AUX input circuitry.
If you need pictures, send me an email.

Reading the reviews here on eHam, I noticed some remarks about Ameritron/MFJ's QC. While I don't doubt there may be or have been issues, I have opened up and checked out several of their products and none of them had loose screws, cold solderjoints or anything else bad. Maybe, just maybe their QC is better on exported units.

Now back on track: This unit has brought back the joy in HAM-radio for me. Not only a keeper but also a unit I would highly recommend to anyone having this kind of local noise issues.

I even managed to almost kill a fairly local station on 17 meters. Went down from S9+35 to noise level....
VK1HBB Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2013 00:28 Send this review to a friend
Solved a serious problem for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased from DX Engineering (great service) and installed same day it arrived. Has now made useable 80M and 40M where my local noise was so severe it limited my use of these bands.

Simple to setup and use, it makes me smile when the noise just disappears and I can hear things that were previously impossible due to 9+ noise.

If you have a serious noise issue this maybe a suitable solution for you.
ZS5J Rating: 4/5 Mar 29, 2013 15:37 Send this review to a friend
Does the job  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this through DXEngineering, to resolve some interference issues I have been getting from a neighbours battery charger. Firstly, if you want to instal the telescopic whip don't try to fit it with the top cover on, you will strip the threads. Take the cover off, fit the antenna and then put the cover back on - typical MFJ engineering...the hole on the top of the cabinet does not line up properly. Even after fitting the whip and replacing the cover, it sits very tightly against the edge of the hole in the cover.

Don't use the whip antenna unless the interference you are getting is right in your shack, or very close by in your house. It is useless for anything else. You need a really good antenna outside to really make this unit work well - the pickup antenna needs to be hearing the interference as good as your main antenna, or as close to it as possible.

With a bit of tweaking, and trying different noise antennas, I got it to work reasonably well - it knocked S 9+ noise down to S 4. There is a little room for improvement with my setup, so I plan on improving my noise antenna, to make it even more effective.

K3JLS Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2013 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Product - Attenuates or Eliminates Most RFI  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi Folks.

We live in a relatively dense suburban area with pole mounted utilities (nothing is buried). I've been using three antennas - an indoor attic slinky dipole (don't laugh - it works), a an indoor homebrew magnetic loop, and a rather unobtrusive W3EDP antenna on a 24 foot pole outside.

I occasionally experience power line noise (and other types of wideband hash) on 160, 80 and 40 meters. At times, it can be quite severe. A while back I reported power line noise to my electric utility, and I even DF'ed the likely sources (using a an AM VHF scanner). While the utility finally investigated and replaced several insulators, it was a real hassle for me and for them. It took a long time to get it fixed.

Everything was pretty quiet until Hurricane Katrina hit, and then the noise began to return, but only after a rainstorm. It just came and went - very frustrating.

I saw the glowing reports for the MFJ-1026 on eHam, so I bought one. After experimenting for a couple of hours, I'm pleased to tell you that it works out very well. So far, I've been able to either completely null or significantly reduce most of the interfering noises in the neighborhood, even some atmospheric events (like thunderstorms). I normally use the indoor AH-4 served dipole for transmitting and the outdoor W3EDP antenna as the auxiliary, but I can switch if necessary.

The IC-746 keys the 1026 from the jack that is normally used to activate a linear amplifier. This works very well.

Now, here's some 'food for thought' if you're hungry. How about recommending to the power companies who have received chronic (and apparently unsolvable) RFI noise complaints from ham operators within their franchises that they (the power utility) provide - as both an expedient measure and as a good will gesture - the MFJ-1026 to the afflicted hams.

Considering today's labor costs, this just might be a 'win - win' for both parties.

I think I'll suggest this to them.
K4HYJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2013 20:24 Send this review to a friend
chews it up!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After seeing a few videos on folks using this to remove power line noise and local interference, I thought I would try one to see.

Between the maytag washer/dryer and the 2 tv's in the house, it's hard to get any HF in while they are all off! After hooking up the 1026, I was able to squash the maytags using only the little whip antenna included basically right out of the box. 1st test passed!!

The TV's are a little more difficult. The one nearest my station was easy to null using the whip antenna. The other TV which is on the other end of the house was closer to my outside OCF dipole than the little whip. I ran some 22awg (100') wire out the shack window and around the house along the top of the hedges towards the offending TV. After opening up the 1026 and making the appropriate jumper settings to use an external antenna with the supplied pre-amp, the other TV fell to the 1026. 2nd test passed!!

The power line noise is easy to kill with either antenna and the 1026. 3rd test passed!!!

It is important to connect its ground to your station ground - it improved the strength of the auxiliary antenna, especially the little whip.

Money well spent!!!