Reviews Categories | Receive Accessories | MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler
MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler Reviews: 92 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $179
Description: The MFJ-1026 is designed to reduce noise or interference, or improve desired signals, before the noise affects sensitive receiver circuits.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1026

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler.

ZS5J Rating: 4/5 Mar 29, 2013 15:37 Send this review to a friend
Does the job  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this through DXEngineering, to resolve some interference issues I have been getting from a neighbours battery charger. Firstly, if you want to instal the telescopic whip don't try to fit it with the top cover on, you will strip the threads. Take the cover off, fit the antenna and then put the cover back on - typical MFJ engineering...the hole on the top of the cabinet does not line up properly. Even after fitting the whip and replacing the cover, it sits very tightly against the edge of the hole in the cover.

Don't use the whip antenna unless the interference you are getting is right in your shack, or very close by in your house. It is useless for anything else. You need a really good antenna outside to really make this unit work well - the pickup antenna needs to be hearing the interference as good as your main antenna, or as close to it as possible.

With a bit of tweaking, and trying different noise antennas, I got it to work reasonably well - it knocked S 9+ noise down to S 4. There is a little room for improvement with my setup, so I plan on improving my noise antenna, to make it even more effective.

K3JLS Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2013 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Product - Attenuates or Eliminates Most RFI  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi Folks.

We live in a relatively dense suburban area with pole mounted utilities (nothing is buried). I've been using three antennas - an indoor attic slinky dipole (don't laugh - it works), a an indoor homebrew magnetic loop, and a rather unobtrusive W3EDP antenna on a 24 foot pole outside.

I occasionally experience power line noise (and other types of wideband hash) on 160, 80 and 40 meters. At times, it can be quite severe. A while back I reported power line noise to my electric utility, and I even DF'ed the likely sources (using a an AM VHF scanner). While the utility finally investigated and replaced several insulators, it was a real hassle for me and for them. It took a long time to get it fixed.

Everything was pretty quiet until Hurricane Katrina hit, and then the noise began to return, but only after a rainstorm. It just came and went - very frustrating.

I saw the glowing reports for the MFJ-1026 on eHam, so I bought one. After experimenting for a couple of hours, I'm pleased to tell you that it works out very well. So far, I've been able to either completely null or significantly reduce most of the interfering noises in the neighborhood, even some atmospheric events (like thunderstorms). I normally use the indoor AH-4 served dipole for transmitting and the outdoor W3EDP antenna as the auxiliary, but I can switch if necessary.

The IC-746 keys the 1026 from the jack that is normally used to activate a linear amplifier. This works very well.

Now, here's some 'food for thought' if you're hungry. How about recommending to the power companies who have received chronic (and apparently unsolvable) RFI noise complaints from ham operators within their franchises that they (the power utility) provide - as both an expedient measure and as a good will gesture - the MFJ-1026 to the afflicted hams.

Considering today's labor costs, this just might be a 'win - win' for both parties.

I think I'll suggest this to them.

K4HYJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2013 20:24 Send this review to a friend
chews it up!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After seeing a few videos on folks using this to remove power line noise and local interference, I thought I would try one to see.

Between the maytag washer/dryer and the 2 tv's in the house, it's hard to get any HF in while they are all off! After hooking up the 1026, I was able to squash the maytags using only the little whip antenna included basically right out of the box. 1st test passed!!

The TV's are a little more difficult. The one nearest my station was easy to null using the whip antenna. The other TV which is on the other end of the house was closer to my outside OCF dipole than the little whip. I ran some 22awg (100') wire out the shack window and around the house along the top of the hedges towards the offending TV. After opening up the 1026 and making the appropriate jumper settings to use an external antenna with the supplied pre-amp, the other TV fell to the 1026. 2nd test passed!!

The power line noise is easy to kill with either antenna and the 1026. 3rd test passed!!!

It is important to connect its ground to your station ground - it improved the strength of the auxiliary antenna, especially the little whip.

Money well spent!!!

W6MQI Rating: 4/5 Jan 10, 2013 23:12 Send this review to a friend
MFJ1026 review and setup  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm not a big fan of anything MFJ most of their products are pure crap!To get max performance from this unit one needs to get a little creative. My setup for the MFJ1026 is three 23' verticals spaced 50' apart in a triangle shape. Each vertical has a preamp at it's base with equal length feed lines fed into a relay box, and from there two antennas are fed into the MFJ1026 as main and aux. I can switch the array in six different directions using two antennas at a time. This setup works unbelievable well I can notch out anything from any direction only problem is it's complicated to use and it can take awhile to find the right antenna and MFJ1026 combinations that work best. Also this is where the 1026 SUCKS! it induces noise into the system, and it will only phase 180 deg not 360 deg no good when trying to work weak signals. This is why I won't give the MFJ a 5 and I hate to give it a 4, but the unit does work okay. Just remember that both aux and main antennas fed into the MFJ need to be the same polarity it won't work with one vertical, and one horizontal.Also make sure the amplitude on both antennas are as close to equal as possible for best performance. With all the work I've put into canceling out chicom consumer electronic crap it might of been easier to just move! Good Luck

KC7M Rating: 3/5 Jan 10, 2013 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Nice, but fragile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great piece of engineering with the usual cheap MFJ workmanship. Once I replaced a faulty SO-239 socket, and I got it up and running, it worked well in eliminating power line noise. I am using a vertical as a receiving antenna, and a 40 meter half square as the main antenna. However, once I turned on my Alpha 99, with 1 KW, the RF between the two antennas fried the little 50ma fuse bulb inside. MFJ could have built a much beefier protection circuit. After a new bulb, It is again usable on lower power settings.

KC1MK Rating: 4/5 Dec 3, 2012 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Does well on my powerline noise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There is almost always a constant s9+ powerline noise at my QTH. I got the power company out several times, but with one exception, they never made any real attempt to correct the problems. Since about the only time I could hear anyone was when it was raining, I bought an MFJ-1026 to see if that might help.
I use a G5RV at about six feet as the noise sense antenna. I experimented a bit with its placement, and can now almost always reduce the S9+ powerline noise to inaudible. It's great to be able to enjoy ham radio again at any time.
I'm not much of an MFJ fan, but I have had a few of their products over the years that worked well. I always do my own QC inspection and resolder any questionable-looking connections, tighten things as necessary, etc.

MM0IMC Rating: 0/5 Dec 1, 2012 06:05 Send this review to a friend
Waste of Money!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've just spent 185 on this piece of rubbish! After spending lots of time and effort with different antenna arrangements and settings, I'm still no further forward!

It may work for some, but not for me with a next door neighbour's damned plasma TV causing S9 QRM on 40m and 20m!

Buyer beware...

AK0O Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2012 11:47 Send this review to a friend
Cleans up HF receive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading the reviews at eHam and listening to the videos posted at youtube (Youtube search on MFJ-1026) I ordered the 1026. In Anchorage, Alaska I get a real bad BUZZ, motorboat, or Ocean surf noises depending on what day it is on 3.920 MHZ. The noise can be anywhere from a S9 to S20. I have a Zero-Five stealth vertical connected to the RCV side of the 1026. A little bit of a overkill for a RCV antenna. You only need an antenna that hears the same noise. I have not tried the internal antenna as based on the instructions I do not think it will work.
The PHASE adjustment is a little sensitive and takes getting used to. A real narrow band of operation here phase wise. 60% of the time this unit wipes the noise out leaving the original signal untouched. I can hear folks! The other 40% of the time the unit attenuates the noise enough that I can actually hear and understand folks talking that I could not hear before. Powering the unit off restores original signal and NOISE.
If you have any doubts just listen to the examples posted on youtube, they speak for themselves.
Good job MFJ!

ND4JS Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2012 03:12 Send this review to a friend
Great product!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I don't usually take time to write a review for products, but this one is so great I had to share my experience with others that could be benefited by it.
There is a lot of hype and false advertising going on these days about noise reduction. I am here to tell you that the advertisement of the MFJ 1026 is exceeded by the actual operation. I live in a neighborhood where I have been plagued constantly by various devices interfering with my radio receivers.
I purchased the 1026 at a hamfest and it sat on the shelf for a long time. Finally I got it down and hooked it up. Man what a surprise!!! In 99% of the cases it was able to cancel 100% of the interference. Sometimes it even helps with atmospheric noise. Man made QRM is removed quite well. You will not have a lot of success using the internal whip antenna. But if you take the time to put up an external monitoring antenna, this little box will perform admirably. I just can't say enough. It has helped me to keep what little hair I have left. Bravo MFJ!

KJ4WIS Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2012 20:26 Send this review to a friend
works great for me  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought the MJF 1026 about 4 months ago. I don't have a really bad noise level most days but do keep a moderate amount (around s-5) on the meter and on a bad day it can get to s-7 or s-8. I do have several antennas, all of which can reproduce the same noise level so I just put the main antenna on and one for the noise. And, it really works as advertised and reduces my noise 3 to 4 s units and some days down to s 1. Great product. One caveat is that it does take some practice to set the same noise level on both antennas and to use the phase control to find a null. And the null may be very narrow so it does take some getting used to. The other good thing about the unit is 1) it has a pre amp for the noise antenna and 2)it can also be used to just hear an alternative antenna such as a recieve only antenna while using another for transmit only. This unit also has its own t/r for (<100 watts) and an RCA outlet for t/r for use with an amp. Now I wouldn't be without it in the shack.