Reviews Categories | Receive Accessories | MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler
MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler Reviews: 99 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $179
Description: The MFJ-1026 is designed to reduce noise or interference, or improve desired signals, before the noise affects sensitive receiver circuits.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1026

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler.

W6MQI Rating: 4/5 Jan 10, 2013 23:12 Send this review to a friend
MFJ1026 review and setup  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm not a big fan of anything MFJ most of their products are pure crap!To get max performance from this unit one needs to get a little creative. My setup for the MFJ1026 is three 23' verticals spaced 50' apart in a triangle shape. Each vertical has a preamp at it's base with equal length feed lines fed into a relay box, and from there two antennas are fed into the MFJ1026 as main and aux. I can switch the array in six different directions using two antennas at a time. This setup works unbelievable well I can notch out anything from any direction only problem is it's complicated to use and it can take awhile to find the right antenna and MFJ1026 combinations that work best. Also this is where the 1026 SUCKS! it induces noise into the system, and it will only phase 180 deg not 360 deg no good when trying to work weak signals. This is why I won't give the MFJ a 5 and I hate to give it a 4, but the unit does work okay. Just remember that both aux and main antennas fed into the MFJ need to be the same polarity it won't work with one vertical, and one horizontal.Also make sure the amplitude on both antennas are as close to equal as possible for best performance. With all the work I've put into canceling out chicom consumer electronic crap it might of been easier to just move! Good Luck

KC7M Rating: 3/5 Jan 10, 2013 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Nice, but fragile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great piece of engineering with the usual cheap MFJ workmanship. Once I replaced a faulty SO-239 socket, and I got it up and running, it worked well in eliminating power line noise. I am using a vertical as a receiving antenna, and a 40 meter half square as the main antenna. However, once I turned on my Alpha 99, with 1 KW, the RF between the two antennas fried the little 50ma fuse bulb inside. MFJ could have built a much beefier protection circuit. After a new bulb, It is again usable on lower power settings.

KC1MK Rating: 4/5 Dec 3, 2012 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Does well on my powerline noise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There is almost always a constant s9+ powerline noise at my QTH. I got the power company out several times, but with one exception, they never made any real attempt to correct the problems. Since about the only time I could hear anyone was when it was raining, I bought an MFJ-1026 to see if that might help.
I use a G5RV at about six feet as the noise sense antenna. I experimented a bit with its placement, and can now almost always reduce the S9+ powerline noise to inaudible. It's great to be able to enjoy ham radio again at any time.
I'm not much of an MFJ fan, but I have had a few of their products over the years that worked well. I always do my own QC inspection and resolder any questionable-looking connections, tighten things as necessary, etc.

MM0IMC Rating: 0/5 Dec 1, 2012 06:05 Send this review to a friend
Waste of Money!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've just spent 185 on this piece of rubbish! After spending lots of time and effort with different antenna arrangements and settings, I'm still no further forward!

It may work for some, but not for me with a next door neighbour's damned plasma TV causing S9 QRM on 40m and 20m!

Buyer beware...

AK0O Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2012 11:47 Send this review to a friend
Cleans up HF receive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading the reviews at eHam and listening to the videos posted at youtube (Youtube search on MFJ-1026) I ordered the 1026. In Anchorage, Alaska I get a real bad BUZZ, motorboat, or Ocean surf noises depending on what day it is on 3.920 MHZ. The noise can be anywhere from a S9 to S20. I have a Zero-Five stealth vertical connected to the RCV side of the 1026. A little bit of a overkill for a RCV antenna. You only need an antenna that hears the same noise. I have not tried the internal antenna as based on the instructions I do not think it will work.
The PHASE adjustment is a little sensitive and takes getting used to. A real narrow band of operation here phase wise. 60% of the time this unit wipes the noise out leaving the original signal untouched. I can hear folks! The other 40% of the time the unit attenuates the noise enough that I can actually hear and understand folks talking that I could not hear before. Powering the unit off restores original signal and NOISE.
If you have any doubts just listen to the examples posted on youtube, they speak for themselves.
Good job MFJ!

ND4JS Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2012 03:12 Send this review to a friend
Great product!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I don't usually take time to write a review for products, but this one is so great I had to share my experience with others that could be benefited by it.
There is a lot of hype and false advertising going on these days about noise reduction. I am here to tell you that the advertisement of the MFJ 1026 is exceeded by the actual operation. I live in a neighborhood where I have been plagued constantly by various devices interfering with my radio receivers.
I purchased the 1026 at a hamfest and it sat on the shelf for a long time. Finally I got it down and hooked it up. Man what a surprise!!! In 99% of the cases it was able to cancel 100% of the interference. Sometimes it even helps with atmospheric noise. Man made QRM is removed quite well. You will not have a lot of success using the internal whip antenna. But if you take the time to put up an external monitoring antenna, this little box will perform admirably. I just can't say enough. It has helped me to keep what little hair I have left. Bravo MFJ!

KJ4WIS Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2012 20:26 Send this review to a friend
works great for me  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought the MJF 1026 about 4 months ago. I don't have a really bad noise level most days but do keep a moderate amount (around s-5) on the meter and on a bad day it can get to s-7 or s-8. I do have several antennas, all of which can reproduce the same noise level so I just put the main antenna on and one for the noise. And, it really works as advertised and reduces my noise 3 to 4 s units and some days down to s 1. Great product. One caveat is that it does take some practice to set the same noise level on both antennas and to use the phase control to find a null. And the null may be very narrow so it does take some getting used to. The other good thing about the unit is 1) it has a pre amp for the noise antenna and 2)it can also be used to just hear an alternative antenna such as a recieve only antenna while using another for transmit only. This unit also has its own t/r for (<100 watts) and an RCA outlet for t/r for use with an amp. Now I wouldn't be without it in the shack.

WA1RKT Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2012 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Works fine w/outside sense ant  Time owned: more than 12 months
In general I don't much care for MFJ, mostly workmanship issues, but I do try to give credit where credit is due.

Right now I'm listening to 20 meters on my TS-950SDX and getting an S7 to S8 noise level. Kick in the MFJ-1026 and the noise level goes down below S1 and everything I'm trying to hear comes right out of the noise. Usually it doesn't work quite that well... I get noise reductions of from two to five S units... but today it is really working well. No doubt that's because today all the noise is coming from one direction... if you get a lot of noise coming from many different directions, the MFJ-1026 won't work as well and sometimes won't work at all.

I do use an outside noise antenna, a random-length wire that's somewhere between 50 and 70 feet long. One end is at 15 feet and the other end is at about 40 feet. I have never been able to get the telescoping whip noise antenna to do anything worthwhile.

Main antenna is a triband beam at 50 feet.

So, MFJ, you still have major, big-league workmanship issues, but in this case you got it right.

KD2AXZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 9, 2012 19:44 Send this review to a friend
Mixed results but not a fault of the product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this to try to block plasma TV noise and also hopefully background noise. I have S9+ level background noise in my urban apartment. The MFJ-1026 is a basic phase flipping signal canceling device.

I think you are going to need to have a good antenna for the noise sensing AND the main antenna. I thought that since the plasma TV noise blankets everything on all the $@$# bands the supplied whip would pick it up. Nope, the whip is useless. I use my indoor magloop to pick up the noise and a buddistick as the main antenna. I think an ideal situation for space would be to use a WonderWhip or whatever those things are called for the sense antenna, but that's another $100.

It will take you a while to get this thing tweaked into being useful, and sometimes it won't even totally cancel the noise out for you. However when it works, I do literally pull signals in/out of the air by twiddling the phase knob. Once you block out some of the worst noise then your radio AGCs and you can hear again.

Whether that's worth $200 is up to you.

WD8DKB Rating: 3/5 Feb 2, 2012 11:03 Send this review to a friend
Could not make it work for me .  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I owned one of these too. I tried several receive antennas with little luck. But that was years ago. I think now, that I should have tried a bit harder and not been so impatient. To KB3TZ--I worked for a power co. for 42 years. Anytime a complaint about line noise was received, our crews would check it out. It took a while, but eventually they learned that something was wrong and it would pay to check it out thoroughly. It could save having to respond to an outage in the middle of the night. 90% of the time, it was loose hardware or a cracked insulator or just a loose connection. It definitely saved the company money when taken seriously. If you can help them to zero in on the pole itself, it would go a long way to resolve this problem. Each pole has a tag number, include this in your complaint. You can also hit the pole gently with a sledge hammer to see if it causes any change in the noise while you listen on a portable radio. Just don't tell them I suggested that one. Also, try not to make any threats on your 1st call. You might be surprised how they respond. Hope this helps. max@glwb.net